The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1362, 1363, 1364, 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368 ... 1386  Next

Rank Lightning Bolt
5 stars 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
4 stars 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
3 stars 38%  38%  [ 20 ]
2 stars 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
1 star 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 52
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt: the official album thread
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
guitar_davey wrote:
What is it that people hate so passionately about Ole? I get that these aren't Eddie's deepest lyrics by any stretch, but for a one-off tune, it's pretty fun and has pretty decent production.

I think there is a certain brand of PJ fan that doesn't like when they go full light-weight. A lot o fans related to the angst and complexity of songs like Alive and Even Flow and Jeremy and Animal and Rearview Mirror. And so when PJ flexes there other muscles they get weird about it. That's not everyone, certainly. But it does reflect some fans.

Songs like Black Red Yellow, Dirty Frank, Hitchhiker, Happy When I'm Crying, Push Me, Pull Me, etc... represent a color of Pearl Jam that I adore. And it's been there from the very beginning. I love that success allowed them to mine that stuff even more over the years. To me, Ole is the heir apparent to that particular line.

It's got funk and groove and a looseness that I think is indicative of what I like most about the band as a live act. But I totally understand why that kind of thing is uninteresting or off-putting or uninteresting to fans that gravitate to other colors of the band's extensive palate.

I am definitely in that camp you reference. I've gotten better about it over time, but it's there. Part of it is that he often approaches them a certain way vocally that doesn't click for me - not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg.

I think that makes a lot of sense, actually -- what you say about how they vocally turn you off. I obviously don't agree but it makes sense as an argument. Vocals -- especially for people like you and me -- can be hard to overcome when they don't work for our respective ears.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:44 pm 
She / Her

I love "Push Me Pull Me" because that humour is balanced with a dark heaviness, and I think that juxtaposition is there on every "fun" PJ song I enjoy; I haven't got a problem with music that does nothing but pure fun, I just don't think PJ is very good at it; I go to other bands for that

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:45 pm 
The worst

Ms Harmless wrote:
I love "Push Me Pull Me" because that humour is balanced with a dark heaviness, and I think that juxtaposition is there on every "fun" PJ song I enjoy; I haven't got a problem with music that does nothing but pure fun, I just don't think PJ is very good at it; I go to other bands for that

Same.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Ms Harmless wrote:

Oh totally fair! I think if it's all PJ did, I'd be more off-put by it. They certainly wouldn't have become my favorite band of all time. But as a shade of what they do, I really appreciate it. And I think Ole really hits the sweet spot. It has more in common with Push Me, Pull Me and Big Wave and Hitchhiker than it does Olympic Platinum or Gremmie Out of Control, etc. It's not a heavy song by any means but there is some weight to it. "I still can't help but wonder why / I'm feeling laughed at by the sky" for example. Great line that carries something a tad heavier in implication on its breeziness.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:55 pm 
She / Her

durdencommatyler wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Oh totally fair! I think if it's all PJ did, I'd be more off-put by it. They certainly wouldn't have become my favorite band of all time. But as a shade of what they do, I really appreciate it. And I think Ole really hits the sweet spot. It has more in common with Push Me, Pull Me and Big Wave and Hitchhiker than it does Olympic Platinum or Gremmie Out of Control, etc. It's not a heavy song by any means but there is some weight to it. "I still can't help but wonder why / I'm feeling laughed at by the sky" for example. Great line that carries something a tad heavier in implication on its breeziness.

I totally agree with those thoughts about Olé and what makes it work for me is that you just know "Olé" is like a *bleep* / nonsense word for something like "fuck it!"

of the songs you listed, I don't like "Big Wave" much but I love Gremmie and Hitchhiker; there's not much darkness in Gremmie but there *is* history; it's the most faithfully "surf rock" song in their catalogue so as a genre experiment and what we know of Ed it's a stunner, and I am stunned

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Ms Harmless wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

I totally agree with those thoughts about Olé and what makes it work for me is that you just know "Olé" is like a *bleep* / nonsense word for something like "fuck it!"

of the songs you listed, I don't like "Big Wave" much but I love Gremmie and Hitchhiker; there's not much darkness in Gremmie but there *is* history; it's the most faithfully "surf rock" song in their catalogue so as a genre experiment and what we know of Ed it's a stunner, and I am stunned

Yes! Well said. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:18 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

I was pretty indifferent to Big Wave until I caught it live a few years ago. For a rarely played track, they really nailed it.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:18 am 
AnalLog

guitar_davey wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

I was pretty indifferent to Big Wave until I caught it live a few years ago. For a rarely played track, they really nailed it.

Some of their best guitar work

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:24 am 
mXn

Why does this poll only have 8 options?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:38 am 
The worst

It was probably from the leak. Should be an album poll anyway

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:51 am 
AnalLog

Tj wrote:
guitar_davey wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Some of their best guitar work

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 1:57 pm 
known prankster

Looks like Future Days is going to be appearing quite prominently in The Last Of Us 2: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-l ... 0-6478211/

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 4:20 pm 
The worst

unexpected development

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 4:27 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

jesus christ, all those poor people.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 12:48 am 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
unexpected development

Stip, I think I'm with you - it's a really nice Ed song that's undone by some fluffy production (that piano *cough cough*).

PostPosted: Fri October 08, 2021 10:32 am 
The worst

just did a quick run through my L-bolt favorites

Mind Your Manners
Sirens
Lightning Bolt
Pendulum
Sleeping By Myself
Yellow Moon

and good times were had by all. the atmosphere is leached from the recordings but Eddie sounds great

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri October 08, 2021 10:54 am 
She / Her

if this album was remixed, I am quite confident in 2021 that it would be a good Pearl Jam album

PostPosted: Fri October 08, 2021 11:49 am 
The worst

:hooray:

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri October 08, 2021 12:56 pm 
The worst

i threw future days on for good measure. a nice hit of schmaltz for a Friday morning

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri October 08, 2021 1:03 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

For what it is worth, I think this album is infinitely better than Backspacer. I know a lot of fans lump the two together, and while LB is second from the bottom for me, it at least has about 4 songs I really enjoy. Can't come close to that with Backspacer.

Songs I like from this album/era:

Pendulum
Pendulumorphosis
Yellow Moon
Infallible

I've also come to like Lightning Bolt live. I still skip the studio version, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1362, 1363, 1364, 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368 ... 1386  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam