The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 1386  Next

Rank Lightning Bolt
5 stars 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
4 stars 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
3 stars 39%  39%  [ 20 ]
2 stars 35%  35%  [ 18 ]
1 star 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt - October 15
PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:20 pm 
Future Drummer

My Father's Son, Sirens, Lightning Bolt, Infallible, Pendulum and Yellow Moon sound cool to me. I'm not sure about Sleeping By Myself (at least this description is better than the joke-one), Getaway and Swallowed Whole and Let The Records Play. Future Days... :?

Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
This also really fucking excites me because it would be the description id give to Cold Confession

7. Pendulum
F: I loved Pendulum. I picture Ed in a dark and moody room, like in a club, but the feeling is very lonely.
Eds voice is very soft and extremely in front of the music (you actually can understand the lyrics very well). The lyrics are very dark.
"my shadow left me long ago"
"understand where we d(w)on't go
this may pass
this may last"
It's really dark and kind of trippy.
It has a strang "a-ah-ah-a-..." part at the end. not his typically "hiiihiii"
There is also a Tambourine which makes the song sound even weirder and it ends with a few fast drum beats, very unique.
C: Echo-y Piano Intro, like in a big hall. Dark mood overall.

My first thought too.

10Club Complaint Department

Strat wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
so we still dont know what that music from the tour video was?

Sounds like it could be in Pendulum

Somebody called Pendulum a few days ago, not sure who. They commented that there's a sort of left/right metronomic thing going on with the guitars.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:21 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

cool stuff right there...Lanegan comparison? Bring it.

Also, fuck SBM. FUCK IT.

Future Drummer

Some one make a kirk "KHAAAAAAAAANNN" gif, but replace khan with o'brien.

AnalLog

The review sounds great.
I like hearing things like "dark, moody, trippy"... and Mark Lanegan comparisons!

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Strat wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
so we still dont know what that music from the tour video was?

Sounds like it could be in Pendulum

yeah, i can see that from that 2nd review

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:23 pm 
The Master

Future Days could work if these "Dark, moody, trippy" things came to fruition. Given the artwork and some of the lyrical themes we've heard, the whole "world is ending..." vibe could be a thing that Future Days closes off nicely....

And I am still very curious about SBM. Wonder if its that country-ish clip we heard from the Joseph Arthur Vine video

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:24 pm 

Mike wrote:
My Father's Son, Sirens, Lightning Bolt, Infallible, Pendulum and Yellow Moon sound cool to me. I'm not sure about Sleeping By Myself (at least this description is better than the joke-one), Getaway and Swallowed Whole and Let The Records Play. Future Days... :?

The cheesy Future Days will depend on the rest of the album, for me. I can still imagine a scenario in which it will work. But obviously imagined scenarios aren't a good idea with this band, we always get something else.

Interesting that these reviewers didn't mention a problem with 'overproduction'.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:25 pm 

Strat wrote:
Future Days could work if these "Dark, moody, trippy" things came to fruition. Given the artwork and some of the lyrical themes we've heard, the whole "world is ending..." vibe could be a thing that Future Days closes off nicely....

I keep saying it but I really hope so.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:28 pm 

evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:
I went to a Private listening party back in June of 2002 for "Songs for the Deaf". it was in a private room at a little dive bar in Minneapolis. They didnt take cell phones or anything like that becauwe i think in 2002- not everyone had phones yet! nor was leaking on the internet a major problem....

But, yea, it was just a bunch of people in the room drinking beer, bullshitting and the album being blasted over the speakers.

This was essentially my experience at a Yield listening party in '98.

Exactly as it was for Vitalogy listening party. Except I'd had New Songs for months so I knew all but STBC and Nothingman. I was so wasted that I was singing along. Creeped the fuck out of the Sony guys.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

i think the fact that so many have been able to develop a dislike for it over the last month or so is gonna kill any chance for them to like it on the album, if it wasnt played at wrigley then it might accomplish what they might hae been tring to do with it ending the album, but its too late now.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:29 pm 
Broken Tamborine

BO'B can go fuck himself with SBM; seriously, why do the guys bend so much to him and for something that was already released.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:31 pm 
AnalLog

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

i think the fact that so many have been able to develop a dislike for it over the last month or so is gonna kill any chance for them to like it on the album, if it wasnt played at wrigley then it might accomplish what they might hae been tring to do with it ending the album, but its too late now.

Even if it's not completely dark/moody I would be happy if it's the light at the end of the tunnel of an otherwise dark/moody/trippy album.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:32 pm 

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

Fuck Wrigley. I don't care, it's a gig I didn't go to with a couple of botched live performances of new songs. If I can play this thing on a regular basis at home, I'll be happy. The album's context is irrelevant in a live setting anyway, no matter how good or bad the song is.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:33 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

:thumbsup: Much, much better!

- It's a strange one, couldn't describe it.
- The verse is almost only vocals, drums and very much bass...
very bassy...dark atmosphere IMO.
- it sounded a bit like Pink Floyd, kind of like Mother.
- has a nice mood to it, feels lonely, like being alone somewhere at night
- There is a guitar solo in it with notes that reminded me of binaural-area solos of mike
- Overall I think it's a classic PJ song (without being cheesy)
- It's an unusual PJ song, It has strong drum (and bass) lines and not so much guitar.
- I found it to be rather long as well.
- The rhythm then is very "stompy"
- I picture Ed in a dark and moody room, like in a club, but the feeling is very lonely.
- The lyrics are very dark. "my shadow left me long ago" "understand where we d(w)on't go this may pass this may last" It's really dark and kind of trippy.
- Echo-y Piano Intro, like in a big hall. Dark mood overall.
- Mike plays slide guitar licks and a slide guitar solo with wah-wah effect.
- I also noted: "Bridge!" I guess I liked it
- reminded me of Mark Lanegans Bleeding Muddy Water.
- In the verse it has a odd time signature: 6/8 - 5/
- I noted "echo-y vocals" and something like a dark "fairy tale".

Dislikes:
- it's more of an optimistic song. lyrics snippets "hey heyy...it's ok" ... "it's alright"... (often)
- To me it really sounds similar to the live version, no big surprise here.
- It's got an awful fade out at the end... (Oh boy, Life Wasted comparisons?)
- it feels a bit like alternative rock in the direction of the newer Foo Fighters songs.
- It's the song that reminded me of Backspacer the most.
- a classic alternative rock rhythm
- I find the chorus rather "poppy".
- It's really catchy and easy to listen to but I think it will get boring after time
- it's more folky, in the direction of Mumford&Sons.
- Brendan told later that he was the one who wanted this song on the album so bad,
soooo. It's his fault. Would be more fitting as a b-side.
- I recognized an Ukulele at the end of the song.
- You all heard it. It's really cheesy
- The end has the cheesy keyboard. But I guess all the non-PJ-fans will love it, haha.

In other words, IT'S NOT BACKSPACER PART 2 :luv:

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

harmless wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

Fuck Wrigley. I don't care, it's a gig I didn't go to with a couple of botched live performances of new songs. If I can play this thing on a regular basis at home, I'll be happy. The album's context is irrelevant in a live setting anyway, no matter how good or bad the song is.

oh, i agree with that completely, just saying what i think everyone else will think. i like the song from the wrigley performance, and will most likely enjoy it more on the studio version, but for most, if they wanted to be the light end to a dark album, they should have kept it from everyone until the album came out

wilkins wrote:
BO'B can go fuck himself with SBM; seriously, why do the guys bend so much to him and for something that was already released.

No matter what the song sounds like, this is a silly argument. 1) We have no idea which PJ songs are in fact older than the albums they're on, and some songs definitely are, like Betterman, 2) We have no idea which Uke Songs were just sketches for PJ songs, and 3) We have no idea whether it was adapted from Uke to PJ, or the other way round.

likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

wilkins wrote:

Stone: I really think we should put Of The Earth on the record - the studio version is pretty rhythmic and butts up against each other.
BOB: Sorry I've already sent it to the Ludwig with Sleeping By Myself on it.
Stone: But we didn't even record that?
BOB: This place is so trollfest anymore...I'm off to Germany.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:36 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Blenheim Augustine wrote:
wilkins wrote:

Stone: I really think we should put Of The Earth on the record - the studio version is pretty rhythmic and butts up against each other.
BOB: Sorry I've already sent it to the Ludwig with Sleeping By Myself on it.
Stone: But we didn't even record that?
BOB: This place is so trollfest anymore...I'm off to Germany.

:thumbsup: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 1386  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam