Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Re: Songs by other artists that sound like Pearl Jam

Sat August 22, 2020 12:29 am

ghost wrote:I'm not a Creed fan by any means, although I did own the first two or three albums back in the day, but I don't know how anyone could defend songs like Amongst the Waves, Force of Nature or Infallible and still dismiss Creed out of hand. If you're looking for bland, middle of the road, radio friendly rock devoid of any personality, Creed has at least half a dozen songs better than those.

Amongst the Waves and Infallible are cute little ditties that probably could have both benefited immensely from a different production path, but I will defend Force of Nature to the end.

p.s. All three of those songs are several universes above anything by Creed. Come on, now. Creed.

Sat August 22, 2020 11:41 am

Infallible reminds me of the attitude of some Manchester United, Chelsea and Millwall fans towards the Hillsbrough disaster.

Tue August 25, 2020 6:22 pm

The last 15 seconds or so of Foo Fighters’ “Learn To Fly” sound like something that could have been on No Code or Yield.

Sun August 30, 2020 3:29 am

The intro here has always reminded me of either a Ten demo or maybe just the heavier TB2k instrumental

Wed September 02, 2020 2:28 am

Hatfield wrote:The middle section of Run Thru by MMJ sounds just like the live Porch jams from '90-'92.

Gideon by MMJ sounds A LOT like one of the instrumentals from TB 2000.

good calls

Wed September 02, 2020 2:29 am

Moshimistic wrote:The last 15 seconds or so of Foo Fighters’ “Learn To Fly” sound like something that could have been on No Code or Yield.

wow, yeah...never thought about that before

Sat May 14, 2022 4:10 pm

The verses in Kayla Divenere's song "Psychopath" sound like 'Spin the Black Circle" crossed with Billie Eilish's "Bad Guy"

Sun May 15, 2022 11:59 am

when is the last time you heard 'spin the black circle'?

Sun May 15, 2022 12:57 pm

A couple years probably. But the descending power chords reminded me of it

Sun May 15, 2022 10:52 pm

how many songs have descending power chords?

Mon May 16, 2022 12:50 am

But both riffs slide down 4 chords chromatically (a half-step down with each chord) and then slide a full step down for the end of the riff. They're not the same, obviously, but it's also not a super common progression, so it reminded me of it. Which is sort of what this thread is about.

Mon May 16, 2022 12:43 pm

I always thought "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica was an attempt at a Pearl Jam song like "Release"

Mon May 16, 2022 1:45 pm

Jorge wrote:But both riffs slide down 4 chords chromatically (a half-step down with each chord) and then slide a full step down for the end of the riff. They're not the same, obviously, but it's also not a super common progression, so it reminded me of it. Which is sort of what this thread is about.

but they don't "sound" the same, even if they have similar musical movements. is the rhythm the same? the tone is completely different. why would this even remind you of a song you haven't listened to in years?

Mon May 16, 2022 1:53 pm

Well, clearly I hear a similarity that prompted me to post it here. I've explained to you in musical terms where I hear the similarity. We can just disagree and that's cool

Mon May 16, 2022 1:58 pm

Ms Harmless wrote:I always thought "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica was an attempt at a Pearl Jam song like "Release"

Have you ever heard the major-scale version of "Nothing Else Matters"?

Mon May 16, 2022 5:46 pm

Jorge wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:I always thought "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica was an attempt at a Pearl Jam song like "Release"

Have you ever heard the major-scale version of "Nothing Else Matters"?

I think so but it's always fun to hear again

Fri September 16, 2022 9:58 pm

The riff that starts at 2:35 is very similar to "Evenflow"

Fri September 16, 2022 10:01 pm

Jorge wrote:

The riff that starts at 2:35 is very similar to "Evenflow"?

Seems more similar to Why Go.

Fri September 16, 2022 10:17 pm

Yeah, that's the one

Sat September 17, 2022 5:14 am

rick malone wrote:Intro of Corduroy:

:shock:
Post a reply