The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: PJ Stray Cats (new 2CD version)
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:18 pm 
A Return To Form

Is this still available? If so, does anyone have a link? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2023 11:46 am 
Banned from the Pit

I'm not sure where to post this question, but this seems like as good a place as any. Is there a decent quality version of the demo version of Brother "out there?" I believe four versions are known to exist: Ten re-issue, Lost Dogs, Ten demo, unreleased Lost Dogs. If I'm not mistaken, the version in this collection as well as those found in the outstanding "B-Side & Rarities" and the "Early Ten: Demos & Roughs" collections are all the same; i.e., the unreleased Lost Dogs version.

I realize some here may not consider this track to stand among the highlights in the catalog, but I guess I'm bit of a completist and am interested in having a better quality copy than what I seem to be able to find on YouTube. I am pretty sure I used to have it somewhere, but I seem to be coming up empty in my search of my archived material. Any help appreciated, as always.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2023 2:34 pm 
The worst

ive never heard a high quality version of that demo, sadly

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2023 3:10 pm 
Production Police

Anders and stip consider this all to be very cool and “easy”

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2023 3:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I do think it’s fantastic the work done by ridleybradout and others. There have been lots of sites and places to download or trade Pearl Jam’s music through the decades.

It’s great that we have these different versions of Brother to listen to.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2023 4:58 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Completely agree - we are truly the beneficiaries of ridleybradout's and others' generosity here at TSIS. I have been collecting PJ boots and rarities for decades, and having access to best quality versions of often hard to find live and studio tracks is something I could have only dreamed of in the early days.

I guess the lack of a high quality version of the Brother demo explains the lack of inclusion in any of the sets I mentioned. Besides sound quality issues, it's also not unfair to say the unreleased Lost Dogs version probably trumps the demo in terms of performance too.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2023 5:42 pm 
Broken Tamborine

upperdecker wrote:
I'm not sure where to post this question, but this seems like as good a place as any. Is there a decent quality version of the demo version of Brother "out there?" I believe four versions are known to exist: Ten re-issue, Lost Dogs, Ten demo, unreleased Lost Dogs. If I'm not mistaken, the version in this collection as well as those found in the outstanding "B-Side & Rarities" and the "Early Ten: Demos & Roughs" collections are all the same; i.e., the unreleased Lost Dogs version.

I realize some here may not consider this track to stand among the highlights in the catalog, but I guess I'm bit of a completist and am interested in having a better quality copy than what I seem to be able to find on YouTube. I am pretty sure I used to have it somewhere, but I seem to be coming up empty in my search of my archived material. Any help appreciated, as always.

You can't find it because it doesn't exist. There is only the "Ten" outtake available in three versions. The one that used to circulate is a bad quality version of the one found here.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2023 9:34 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Hmm. Really? The version to which I am referring starts with someone, Stone I always assumed, sort of fake clearing his throat and ends with Eddie saying something underneath the music about watching the nightly news and drinking a beer. Were those elements just tacked onto another version? I also thought there were some different Ed vocals at the end of the track when I A/B'd it against the one in Stray Cats. But I could be wrong there for sure.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2023 9:44 pm 
The Master

upperdecker wrote:
Hmm. Really? The version to which I am referring starts with someone, Stone I always assumed, sort of fake clearing his throat and ends with Eddie saying something underneath the music about watching the nightly news and drinking a beer. Were those elements just tacked onto another version? I also thought there were some different Ed vocals at the end of the track when I A/B'd it against the one in Stray Cats. But I could be wrong there for sure.

"Im just gonna go home, turn on the nightly news, crack a beer until i get drunk...."

Yea, that was my favorite version. Mike did his classic SRV and Hendrix licks in the bridge.

THat might be in one of the versions out there. haven't checked in awhile but i see you for talking about this version.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2023 9:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

upperdecker wrote:

Could be a different mix of the same version in bad quality? Everything that exists was utilized for Ridley's "Ten" deluxe, I thought.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2023 12:40 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I'm surprised people on here has difficulties remembering that version... It's the Ten Rough Mix version, with some Ed's spoken lines at the start and end of the song, audio quality is not the best because well, like the rest of the tracks on the Ten Rough Mix cassette, it's a rough mix. So, there's definitely four versions in circulation (in order of appearance): Ten Rough Mix (https://www.discogs.com/release/9212267 ... es-4-26-91), instrumental Lost Dogs version (officially released), Lost Dogs promo/Rarities Unreleased Cuts version (http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1106), and Ten Reissue version (officially released, new lyrics/vocals).

I have this unofficial CD https://www.discogs.com/release/6437689 ... ough-Mixes sourced from the Rough Mixes cassette, there are also lossless rips of it out there. Maybe they just cleaned up the rough mix version for the Lost Dogs promo, removing the spoken lines etc, anyway they count for sure as two different versions since these are not some fan-made edits but actually official versions included on official (though rare to find) promos.

ps: oh, and I just wanted to add that on April 26th, 1991 (the date printed on the Rough Mixes cassette for Ten) I turned 10. I'm stupidly proud of that thing.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2023 10:49 am 
Banned from the Pit

Thank you, Dex. That's the information I was looking for. I do have a copy of that Rough Mixes set in my collection, so that's likely where I became familiar with it, many years ago. As far as I am aware, that version of Brother has not been included in any of the compilations shared here.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2023 2:44 pm 
tl;dr

Here is an mp3 of the version from the Ten rough mix cassette:
https://fromsmash.com/pjbro

One quick listen, I think that this:

Happy Trees wrote:
Could be a different mix of the same version in bad quality?

is exactly what it is. There is some chatter in the intro, and over the opening solo, but I think it's the same take as the "Rarities Unreleased Cuts" version (this is mainly from listening to Mike's lead at the beginning).

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2023 3:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kevin Davis wrote:

Happy Trees wrote:

is exactly what it is. There is some chatter in the intro, and over the opening solo, but I think it's the same take as the "Rarities Unreleased Cuts" version (this is mainly from listening to Mike's lead at the beginning).

Yeah, two different mixes for the same take. I just wish we had the Rough Mixes version in the same crisp quality as the Lost Dogs promo.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2023 9:45 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Not to beat this to death, and I realize I may be the only one who even cares about this, but I placed the two files (the mp3 above and the version from Stray Cats) in Audacity and they substantially line up. One runs slightly slower but clearly the same take.

Having said that, there are absolutely some mixing differences, as previously noted. The chatter is only there in the earlier rough mix version, and it's not solely at the beginning and end. There's also some around the one minute mark where Ed mutters something about questioning authority(?). There may be more, not sure. In addition, there are some layered vocals in the Lost Dogs early production CD version, particularly in the bridge section at around 2:35, not present in the rough mix.

Okay, I'll let it go. Thanks for listening. I realize none of this is terribly important.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2023 11:42 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Dex wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Happy Trees wrote:

Yeah, two different mixes for the same take. I just wish we had the Rough Mixes version in the same crisp quality as the Lost Dogs promo.

Four different mixes then. They all derive from the same take. There was no demo.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 9:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Old posts from the pit:

"I just found the radio sampler with brohter + some other songs.
1. Brother
2. Once (ten mix 08)
3. Black Unplugged
4. Porch unplugged
5. Alive from drop in the park
6. Solat from drop in the park.

Brother is tweaked alot! Not sure if I like it... I gotta listen some more, but I feel it has lost much of its attitude which made is so cool in the first place.
Solat is sounding is AWSOME!!!!!
Once sounds just like rearviewmirror.
Unplugged is unplugged, awsome as always!"

"This is definitely an old recording, using an alternate vocal tracking remixed and facelifted. It is definitely young, angry Ed, which is night and day from how we know the current Eddie Vedder. I am partial to the demo version of brother with different lyrics, a different arrangement-- especially in the breakdown. The demo version of the breakdown in the song is 10x better. The words are great in that version, as is when he actually sings them. I was always partial to the outro of the demo version of this song too, "Go home, turn on the fuckin tv..." it sums the song up nicely. This new version is a bit polished for my liking, but it's good. It's just not as good as the version I'm used to."

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 4:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

A lot of talk about too many versions of a song that stinks

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2024 11:07 pm 
Lost Cat

Newbie here & i would love to get a link!

PostPosted: Mon February 05, 2024 3:34 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

logan5ive wrote:
Is this still available? If so, does anyone have a link? Thanks in advance!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam