The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: Remembering Roskilde
PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 10:44 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

My first show seeing Pearl Jam was Randall’s Island on 9/28/96. I also started the show very close to the front but felt an immense amount of crush as the band hit the stage. I remember by the time they got through Last Exit (the first song) I had managed to go way back, maybe 30 rows worth of people back, and for significant periods of time my feet weren’t on the ground. The crush had me suspended and moving at the whim of the push. I remember feeling like this can’t be safe and that I had to get out of there. I managed to do that pretty quickly, and relieved that i was okay, as were my friends. When I learned about Roskilde, those memories cake soaring back. I can never imagine what that was like. Glad you are here Anders. Let’s hope nothing like that night happens again.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 1:08 pm 
Broken Tamborine
 WWW  Profile

Bammer wrote:
Beautifully written by Stone, as well as Anders. Sounds like it was lucky not to have been more than 9 people.

Most certainly, thanks for sharing Anders.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 2:44 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Anders wrote:
Saw Pearl Jam play Copenhagen that same summer. Some family of the victims were there, and it was an emotional concert.

It was - Love Reign O'er Me a real highlight - very emotional.

Thanks for sharing your story, Anders.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 4:42 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

injuddstree wrote:
https://pearljam.com/news/roskilde

Beautiful words from Stone.

I was 17 and just really getting in to the band, on the back of Live On Two Legs, which changed my life. I remember seeing news reports of it, and the initial reports definitely blamed/implicated the band in causing the crush. This is all pre-social media and still minimal internet coverage, so I was itching for more information because I knew that PJ had mellowed as a live act since the early days and would not have incited it. I remember wanting to defend the band more than feel for the victims, and was disappointed as it meant they didn't tour Australia in 2001 as planned, which I'm embarrassed to admit, but it was probably my teenage naivete.

Simply a tragedy that could have been avoided. I hope the families have some comfort these days, however they may find it.

What do you remember?

Thank you for this thread

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 12:44 am 
Future Drummer

Thanks for sharing Anders :peace:

Nice to see Stone take on the tribute this time - has really has a way with words.

Juvenal wrote:
Anders wrote:
Saw Pearl Jam play Copenhagen that same summer. Some family of the victims were there, and it was an emotional concert.

It was - Love Reign O'er Me a real highlight - very emotional.

It would be a nice tribute to see this show released as the Vault this year. I remember being really moved listening to the audience recording.

PostPosted: Sat November 06, 2021 12:20 pm 
mXn

Crowd surge kills 8 at rap concert in Texas :shock:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/ ... /11203827/

PostPosted: Sun November 07, 2021 8:38 am 
Broken Tamborine

Yeah my thoughts were immediately of Roskilde when I heard the news. Shocking that this can still happen 20+ years later.

PostPosted: Sun November 07, 2021 8:06 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I saw video from this where people were completed squeezed in and couldn't even move to get out. I started hyperventilating just watching it. Fuck that.

PostPosted: Tue November 09, 2021 1:15 am 
what on earth am I talking about

This is so seriously and weirdly bad

PostPosted: Wed November 10, 2021 12:50 am 
Rank This Poster

ugh terrible news. i always think of pj when something like this happens. i wouldn't be surprised if EV reaches out to travis scott. i would start a fight to get myself out of that situation.

PostPosted: Wed November 10, 2021 2:38 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

the thing is Scott has been managing crowds really poorly. It was kinda going to happen at some point. Im not blaming him for this situation, but i hope he realizes what he does and say to a crowd in the future.

PostPosted: Wed November 17, 2021 10:54 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

VinylGuy wrote:
the thing is Scott has been managing crowds really poorly. It was kinda going to happen at some point. Im not blaming him for this situation, but i hope he realizes what he does and say to a crowd in the future.

Watching a few clips on yootoob yesterday about this twat. In one he is being interviewed and says he wants "blood" at his shows, meaning his fans to get amongst it. He didn't mean it literally, but still not a good look all things considered.

In another he's crowd-surfing at a show and some one apparently tries to steal his shoe. He goes off and points the bloke out and starts a chant to the crowd of "Fuck him up!". He then had the guy thrown out. Nice.

A third is him at a show pointing to the fans in the pit in front calling them out as "Ragers". That's fine, but he then points to all his fans on the sides and calls them "Pussy mother fuckers" because they aren't the ragers directly in front of him. There's so much wrong with this that I can't even be bothered with it.

Yeah, real classy fellow is Mr Travis Scott it seems. He comes across like a little spoiled child who doesn't know any better.

PostPosted: Wed November 17, 2021 11:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

growing up with mosh pits, i kinda get the appeal. i've heard artists encourage slam dancing, but its never violent or like 'beat the shit out of each other' type stuff. music causes a physical reaction in a lot of people, so its fun to enjoy that in a crowd. but there's still do's and dont's. i dunno much about travis scotts live performances, but if he's encourage that kinda nonsense on stage this is not gonna end well for him.

PostPosted: Wed November 17, 2021 11:58 pm 
Future Drummer

warehouse wrote:
growing up with mosh pits, i kinda get the appeal. i've heard artists encourage slam dancing, but its never violent or like 'beat the shit out of each other' type stuff.

11/12/1993 - Ed says, before the song, "This song's called 'Whipping'... Kill one another!"

There's also the Mansfield '98 show, where he told anyone who sees quarters thrown to kick their asses (if I remember correctly), and Indio '93, where he said he and Jeff would 'beat the shit out of any barefoot person.'

Also, it was VERY irresponsible, how Ed used to provoke the crowds to rush, stage dive, spit, etc.

What he did at Pinkpop '92 is inexcusable!

We are all naive at some point.

PostPosted: Thu November 18, 2021 12:41 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Who the fuck grows up in moshpits these days? I mean even pit bulls are free, warehouse

PostPosted: Thu November 18, 2021 1:25 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Iholdthepain wrote:
warehouse wrote:
growing up with mosh pits, i kinda get the appeal. i've heard artists encourage slam dancing, but its never violent or like 'beat the shit out of each other' type stuff.

11/12/1993 - Ed says, before the song, "This song's called 'Whipping'... Kill one another!"

There's also the Mansfield '98 show, where he told anyone who sees quarters thrown to kick their asses (if I remember correctly), and Indio '93, where he said he and Jeff would 'beat the shit out of any barefoot person.'

Also, it was VERY irresponsible, how Ed used to provoke the crowds to rush, stage dive, spit, etc.

Oh God yes. I think that we were all young and stupid once and all lucky to get through it alive to be fair. And with youth comes energy and anger and wanting to release some of that in whatever tribal way you had available.

I think what makes it particularly bad in this case though is that he kept on playing with his auto-tuned mic even when people were screaming and pleading that people were literally dying out there.

But yeah, point taken for sure. This could have happened any number of times at any number of concerts.

PostPosted: Thu November 18, 2021 2:46 am 
The Master

Iholdthepain wrote:
warehouse wrote:

Counterpoint: Ed in 92 Europe stopping the show and yelling at people reminding them they have boots on their feet and there are peoples heads.

Ed has stopped the show numerous times over the years when things would get out of control. There's a line and Ed never really crossed it. He's always been very cautious of his audience.

PostPosted: Thu November 18, 2021 4:02 am 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:
warehouse wrote:

Counterpoint: Ed in 92 Europe stopping the show and yelling at people reminding them they have boots on their feet and there are peoples heads.

Ed has stopped the show numerous times over the years when things would get out of control. There's a line and Ed never really crossed it. He's always been very cautious of his audience.

I agree that there's a line, but Ed crossed it a LOT! He was WAY more cautious by the time the Roskilde disaster occurred, and yes, Ed did have a habit of stopping shows, mid-song, to settle the crowd. I think some of that was a bit, and some was that he truly saw people getting hurt. Sometimes you can't see shit from up there and have no idea until Stone comes running over, you see emergency lights, or the sound gets cut on your auto tuner. I don't think K Scott wanted 10 fans to die at his show. I don't think Ed really wanted his fans to kill one another. Regardless, they ARE role models, and should realize that some people will do stupid shit if their role models tell them to do so. Ed realized this the hard way, and hopefully this dude in Houston did, too.

Many other venues, bands, promoters need to take note of the mistakes made in Houston. Lots of blame to go around!

PostPosted: Thu November 18, 2021 5:06 am 
mXn

Bro the whole shoeless thing was said in jest. Get a grip.

PostPosted: Thu November 18, 2021 5:20 am 
The Master

Ed carrying caring about fans is a bit?

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam