4%
2 Stars: bogger farts
No votes
1 Star: buggy
No votes

Total votes : 23

Re: Song of the Moment: Sad

Wed October 02, 2013 3:13 pm

This song blew me away the first time I heard it on Lost Dogs. How in the hell did this not appear on an album?

Wed October 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:This song blew me away the first time I heard it on Lost Dogs. How in the hell did this not appear on an album?

Where have you gone, Brendan O'Brien? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Wed October 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Mike wrote:I want them to explore the style of Sad and Undone more but I'm not even sure what that style is. Interesting pop-rock songs that don't sound forced/like they're trying too hard maybe. I fucking love Sad and Undone.

are sad and undone 'styles' or are they just examples of killer songs?

Wed October 02, 2013 3:57 pm

They seem like a pretty standard pop song structures. They're both verse/chrous/verse/chorus/solo/chorus (I think they are at least, it's been a while since I've heard either)...they're catchy but don't really skimp on depth or power.

Wed October 02, 2013 4:02 pm

They are perhaps unusually atmospheric for being full and decorated songs. They each take a little piece of the void that birthed Sleight of Hand, and use it within a poppier context.

Wed October 02, 2013 4:09 pm

stip wrote:
Mike wrote:I want them to explore the style of Sad and Undone more but I'm not even sure what that style is. Interesting pop-rock songs that don't sound forced/like they're trying too hard maybe. I fucking love Sad and Undone.

are sad and undone 'styles' or are they just examples of killer songs?

I think they both share a similar style that Pearl Jam haven't explored very much. I agree with what McParadigm said. Pearl Jam using their pop sensibilities while still being atmospheric and in the mindset they were when they recorded Binaural/Riot Act. It's a blend I really enjoy. Most of all they're killer songs though, yes. :nice:

Wed October 02, 2013 4:13 pm

I think Lightning Bolt is a pretty atmospheric song (compared to say, Getaway or Swallowed Whole). A different type of atmosphere, but there is definitely that sense of space (either vastness or closeness) that we usually associate with it.

Wed October 02, 2013 4:20 pm

stip wrote:I think Lightning Bolt is a pretty atmospheric song (compared to say, Getaway or Swallowed Whole). A different type of atmosphere, but there is definitely that sense of space (either vastness or closeness) that we usually associate with it.

Yeah, I agree. I mentioned somewhere before the that I wished the studio version would sound like Undone. It's kind of a mix between Undone and earlier anthems.

Thu October 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Sad is a good song.

Thu October 03, 2013 6:48 pm

It's sad

though

Thu October 03, 2013 6:51 pm

stupidmop wrote:

I love this song. That is all.

I actually really like what Boom is doing in this video. As far as I'm concerned, that should be the extent of his live participation-- adding a little bit of color behind the guitars.

Thu October 03, 2013 6:54 pm

theplatypus wrote:
stupidmop wrote:

I love this song. That is all.

I actually really like what Boom is doing in this video. As far as I'm concerned, that should be the extent of his live participation-- adding a little bit of color behind the guitars.

Faster than the speed of Sad. Speedsad.

Thu October 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Hurry up, there, guys. Song's lagging a bit in the middle.

Thu October 03, 2013 7:19 pm

Man, Reading 2006 was so good.

Mon May 09, 2016 7:00 pm

This song feels unfinished to me

I like it but when I first heard that opening riff I was like "oh wow"

It got my attention instantly but then it kind of doesn't hold up to the awesomeness of the main riff

It's not BAD. In fact its good. But it feels like it should be something more than it is.

Mon May 09, 2016 7:16 pm

I was kinda middle ground on this when Lost Dogs came out. Then, I got to see it live at the Gorge in '05. Fucking blew me away. For me, the best song they've released since Matt joined. One of Ed's best riffs. Top 3 Pearl Jam song for me, for sure.

Like you guys, I like Letter to the Dead better as a title. I wonder if it was left off since they already had a song about someone being gone with Light Years. Maybe they were even both written about the same situation. Who knows?

Mon May 09, 2016 7:19 pm

I like the AOL sessions performance of it.
Post a reply