The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

How long do we have to wait to legitimately declare Gigaton a top 3 PJ album?
Now! 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
1 - 7 days 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7 - 14 days 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
14 days - 1 month 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 - 6 months 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
6 - 12 months 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
12 months + 20%  20%  [ 13 ]
Never 50%  50%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 64
 Post subject: Re: Gigaton is my favorite Pearl Jam Album
PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2020 8:50 am 
AnalLog

I can understand anyone liking Binaural absolutely loving Gigaton. It’s think both albums share a lot of similarities.

I’m happy to declare it Pearl Jams best album in 20 years imho. And best since Matt Cameron has joined the band.

Josh Evans production is amazing.

I see the current track listing as a set list
The first 10 songs
Encore
Retrograde
River cross

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 4:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

PHATJ wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
I just played the entire album twice, but on the second time through I went immediately into Binaural following River Cross. That transition into Breakerfall sounds fucking AWESOME. Seriously, you guys should check it out.

These two albums sound amazing back to back. :luv:

I'm gonna have to do this soon.

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 4:39 pm 
AnalLog

Leatherhead wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
I just played the entire album twice, but on the second time through I went immediately into Binaural following River Cross. That transition into Breakerfall sounds fucking AWESOME. Seriously, you guys should check it out.

I tried this and have to agree with the PHAT one

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 6:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I had Gigaton, Binaural, Riot Act, and ST together in a playlist set to random yesterday, and it went in some really cool directions.

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 6:51 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

RockPusher wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

I tried this and have to agree with the PHAT one

:hooray: Isn’t that a great transition!? It works phenomenally well.

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 6:54 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
I had Gigaton, Binaural, Riot Act, and ST together in a playlist set to random yesterday, and it went in some really cool directions.

I’d only want to include about half of S/T if I did something like that. The production on some of those songs is just so jarring that I don’t think they would fit well with the others. Binaural sounds great coming out of Gigaton. I can imagine most of RA would work too.

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 6:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PHATJ wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

I’d only want to include about half of S/T if I did something like that. The production on some of those songs is just so jarring that I don’t think they would fit well with the others. Binaural sounds great coming out of Gigaton. I can imagine most of RA would work too.

I use the Spotify mix, which sounds a lot better than the original release or 2017 mix, but in each of these cases I removed songs I didn’t want to hear or felt didn’t belong. I also included some era-appropriate lost dogs.

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 7:00 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

I use the Spotify mix, which sounds a lot better than the original release or 2017 mix, but in each of these cases I removed songs I didn’t want to hear or felt didn’t belong. I also included some era-appropriate lost dogs.

Sounds great. That’s basically the material I’ve been most interested in listening to over the last few years plus Gigaton. Sounds damn good to me.

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 8:00 pm 
AnalLog

Upon hearing the interview with Josh Evans, I am convinced they can keep going with this paradigm shift. A lot of it has to do with him understanding their sound, their dynamic, and really their soul, from the duel perspectives of lifelong local fan and professional engineer. Add that to the new warehouse studio and it all makes more sense (he talked a lot about the time pressure being off thanks to the studio situation).

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 11:14 pm 
AnalLog

RockPusher wrote:
Upon hearing the interview with Josh Evans, I am convinced they can keep going with this paradigm shift. A lot of it has to do with him understanding their sound, their dynamic, and really their soul, from the duel perspectives of lifelong local fan and professional engineer. Add that to the new warehouse studio and it all makes more sense (he talked a lot about the time pressure being off thanks to the studio situation).

:shock: More!

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 11:27 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Well I feel like an idiot, I didn't know there were better mixes of S/T.

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 11:35 pm 

Rob wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

There's three versions:

1. Adam Kasper's original mix, as released in 2006.
2. Kasper's original mix with much improved mastering, this was quietly uploaded to Spotify at some point.
3. Brendan O'Brien's 2017 remix.

McP's referring to the second of those above, I believe.

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 11:44 pm 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
Rob wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

There's three versions:

2. Kasper's original mix with much improved mastering, this was quietly uploaded to Spotify at some point.

Soooooo is there a way to hear/get the improved mastering without actually having/using Spotify?

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 11:51 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
Rob wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

There's three versions:

Awesome, thanks

PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 10:09 am 
The worst

Birds in Hell wrote:
Rob wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

There's three versions:

which do you reccomend?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 5:31 pm 
Major Dude

I didn’t know O’Brien did a remix in 2017. Where is this available?

PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 5:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

wease wrote:
I didn’t know O’Brien did a remix in 2017. Where is this available?

Lots of places. Spotify. I think it’s the only mix available now on Apple Music.

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:08 am 
Broken Tamborine

Birds in Hell wrote:
Rob wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

There's three versions:

I have an mp3 320 of the Spotify mix. Does anyone know if there is a FLAC version available?

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:14 am 

I don't think a truly lossless version is available as Spotify doesn't stream lossless audio.

Any FLAC version will be a lossless capture of a lossy stream, though that's still arguably the best you can hope for unless that master becomes available elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:19 am 
Broken Tamborine

Birds in Hell wrote:
I don't think a truly lossless version is available as Spotify doesn't stream lossless audio.

Any FLAC version will be a lossless capture of a lossy stream, though that's still arguably the best you can hope for unless that master becomes available elsewhere.

That's what I thought. I have Spotify, but rarely use it. Wasn't sure if there is a premium version that let you download FLAC files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam