14%
2 Stars
3%
1 Star
No votes

Total votes : 131

Re: Comes Then Goes

Sun April 19, 2020 12:19 am

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I could see one of the other guys (Mike being my guess) joining in on the live versions. I remember one of the Josh interviews mentioning a second guitar part, plus 6 minutes of Ed alone could become a bit of a repetitive slog.

Sun April 19, 2020 1:49 am

littlecomment wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I could see one of the other guys (Mike being my guess) joining in on the live versions. I remember one of the Josh interviews mentioning a second guitar part, plus 6 minutes of Ed alone could become a bit of a repetitive slog.

That could be cool.

Tue April 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Leatherhead wrote:
littlecomment wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I could see one of the other guys (Mike being my guess) joining in on the live versions. I remember one of the Josh interviews mentioning a second guitar part, plus 6 minutes of Ed alone could become a bit of a repetitive slog.

That could be cool.

:thumbsup:
Somehow this song pays off all six minutes. Ed sounds absolutely phenomenal.

Tue April 21, 2020 11:49 pm

damn guys.

This song. :heartbeat:

Wed April 29, 2020 6:48 pm

I don't know why it just occurred to me today that "the kids are alright" is not just a nod to The Who, but doubles up as an assurance to an old friend that the kids (yours, ours) are fine, getting on and playing well together; it's gone from slightly cheesy in my mind, to very intimate

Wed April 29, 2020 6:54 pm

Ms Harmless wrote:I don't know why it just occurred to me today that "the kids are alright" is not just a nod to The Who, but doubles up as an assurance to an old friend that the kids (yours, ours) are fine, getting on and playing well together; it's gone from slightly cheesy in my mind, to very intimate

That line kills me every time.

Wed April 29, 2020 6:56 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:I don't know why it just occurred to me today that "the kids are alright" is not just a nod to The Who, but doubles up as an assurance to an old friend that the kids (yours, ours) are fine, getting on and playing well together; it's gone from slightly cheesy in my mind, to very intimate

yep.

Wed April 29, 2020 7:04 pm

evenslow wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

yep.

it's completely changed and deepened the song a thousand fold

doing in one line what "The End" took a whole song to do

Wed April 29, 2020 7:18 pm

thats true, and this is a much better song, but ‘the kids are alright’ works because of everything the song did prior.

Wed April 29, 2020 7:21 pm

One of the verses makes it sounds like a friend of Ed's was left standing at the Altar. I wonder who he's talking about if anyone, could just be a metaphor for something else.

Wed April 29, 2020 7:23 pm

stip wrote:thats true, and this is a much better song, but ‘the kids are alright’ works because of everything the song did prior.

of course

without the context, it *would* just be The Who nod

Wed April 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Hadn't considered it in this context. That's great :thumbsup:

Wed April 29, 2020 7:30 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:

Yeah.

Wed April 29, 2020 7:36 pm

Kevin Davis wrote:

Hadn't considered it in this context. That's great :thumbsup:

:)

Wed April 29, 2020 7:39 pm

The line works on multiple levels. It could be a reference to the early stages of the relationship in question, the innocence of their own children and their safety, or the optimism that every new generation brings.

Wed April 29, 2020 8:17 pm

i always took it as a Ed telling Chris one that his kids are doing fine. I love that line.

Wed April 29, 2020 8:49 pm

lowlight79 wrote:One of the verses makes it sounds like a friend of Ed's was left standing at the Altar. I wonder who he's talking about if anyone, could just be a metaphor for something else.

I think "fell from the altar, a vision, you caught her..." implies an altar of worship, not marriage: someone you pedestalled into an idol / icon, who then fell from the place you'd put her; I'm less sure of "but then, a wood cut in red", but again, it makes me think of an idol / icon, like Mary bleeding from the eyes

Wed April 29, 2020 8:51 pm

I always thought he is talking about Vicky.

the imagery in this song is really rich, I almost can't believe Ed wrote it in 2020

VinylGuy wrote:I always thought he is talking about Vicky.

probably yes
Post a reply