The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Take the Long Way
5 Stars 19%  19%  [ 22 ]
4 Stars 40%  40%  [ 46 ]
3 Stars 30%  30%  [ 35 ]
2 Stars 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
1 Star 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 115
 Post subject: Re: Take the Long Way
PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 2:24 pm 
The worst

It needs to be done Doug Getaway style

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 2:54 pm 
She / Her

Habitman wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Habitman wrote:
I know its been discussed but the lack of bass in this song is so odd. I am not well versed in the metal genre but I know thin/high treble songs are a feature of some metal music (metallica comes to mind). Maybe this is what the band was going for? Anyway, I think it deflates the song a bit. Still a good song but too thin sounding for my taste.

I always associated metal with high low-end / bass, high top-end / treble, and little to no middle; the most "metal" they've ever been is in songs like "Go", "Blood" or "Leash", and especially when Dave A played drums (he was so into his hard bass and very tight snare, and so am I); so yes I do think the high treble in this song is quite metal, but the lack of bass also bothers me; the only way it's grown on me is to imagine this "thin" sound as quite 80s speed metal / thrash, or even (as I've said more than once) retro video game music; it has a certain charm that fits with the album's aesthetic, but depending on what mood I'm in, I can't help wondering what Jeff would have done on it

Thanks for responding... The past songs you mentioned had influences of Metal but still maintained the funk/blues sound that was a staple of their first two records. Take the Long Way is the most overt metal attempt right down to the thin/high treble sound. I guess I just want the song to be more of a banger but clearly they were intending to produce a different sounding song.

I think you're using "metal" to mean speed or thrash metal; the earlier songs were equally metal but more groove metal, if anything

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 2:55 pm 
She / Her

tragabigzanda wrote:
I genuinely believe they had the bass buss muted or the fader was low when they printed the mix, and no one noticed.

You can hear it faintly in the background, which makes me think it was send to an FX channel, and we're getting a bit of that in the mix, but that the main bass channel was low or muted.

yep

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 2:56 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

evenslow wrote:
do we have any board players that feel like adding a bass track to this? could be a fun RM project!

Yeah, somebody do this please

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 3:37 pm 
Rank This Poster

Somebody get a message to Jeff.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 6:00 pm 
Stone's Bitch

stip wrote:
It needs to be done Doug Getaway style

maybe just put the doug getaway bassline under it.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 8:51 pm 
AnalLog

matt seems to be interacting with people on instagram.. somebody ask him

you may have to play an SG song on guitar to get his attention first, though

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 9:16 pm 
The Master

dprival78 wrote:

Im thinking of firing up some evacuation on my SG for him this evening. Cross your fingers fellas.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 9:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
dprival78 wrote:

Im thinking of firing up some evacuation on my SG for him this evening. Cross your fingers fellas.

Do it.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 11:12 pm 
Posting (live)

tragabigzanda wrote:
I genuinely believe they had the bass buss muted or the fader was low when they printed the mix, and no one noticed.

You can hear it faintly in the background, which makes me think it was send to an FX channel, and we're getting a bit of that in the mix, but that the main bass channel was low or muted.

Is this their When Doves Cry? Maybe another reference with Petty, Cornell?

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 11:14 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Leatherhead wrote:
Strat wrote:
dprival78 wrote:

Do it.

DO IT

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 11:21 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

evenslow wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
Strat wrote:
dprival78 wrote:

Do it.

DO IT

I support this plan.

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 12:13 am 
AnalLog

Corduroy
Rearviewmirror
Porch
Red Mosquito
You Are
Of the Girl
Rats
Take the Long Way
Swallowed Whole
Big Wave
Supersonic
Red Dot

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 12:56 am 
Production Police

LetMeSleep wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

what is this a reference to?

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 1:05 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

When Doves Cry has no bassline.

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 1:11 am 
Production Police

McParadigm wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

but was it a mistake, or intentional?

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 2:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

Ms Harmless wrote:
Habitman wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Habitman wrote:
I know its been discussed but the lack of bass in this song is so odd. I am not well versed in the metal genre but I know thin/high treble songs are a feature of some metal music (metallica comes to mind). Maybe this is what the band was going for? Anyway, I think it deflates the song a bit. Still a good song but too thin sounding for my taste.

I always associated metal with high low-end / bass, high top-end / treble, and little to no middle; the most "metal" they've ever been is in songs like "Go", "Blood" or "Leash", and especially when Dave A played drums (he was so into his hard bass and very tight snare, and so am I); so yes I do think the high treble in this song is quite metal, but the lack of bass also bothers me; the only way it's grown on me is to imagine this "thin" sound as quite 80s speed metal / thrash, or even (as I've said more than once) retro video game music; it has a certain charm that fits with the album's aesthetic, but depending on what mood I'm in, I can't help wondering what Jeff would have done on it

Thanks for responding... The past songs you mentioned had influences of Metal but still maintained the funk/blues sound that was a staple of their first two records. Take the Long Way is the most overt metal attempt right down to the thin/high treble sound. I guess I just want the song to be more of a banger but clearly they were intending to produce a different sounding song.

I think you're using "metal" to mean speed or thrash metal; the earlier songs were equally metal but more groove metal, if anything

i think its also the time signature.

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 3:01 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

but was it a mistake, or intentional?

Prince removed it because he thought it sounded better without it

Also interesting is that there's kind of an "implied" bassline effect from the percussion. Not sure if that was intentional or just something that naturally happens because our ears are trained to hear it

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 3:12 pm 
She / Her

warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Habitman wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Habitman wrote:

i think its also the time signature.

that makes sense

PostPosted: Mon April 20, 2020 4:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

My like for this song is because it sounds a little too much like a Soundgarden song and they should have asked Kim to sit in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam