The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Take the Long Way
5 Stars 19%  19%  [ 22 ]
4 Stars 40%  40%  [ 46 ]
3 Stars 30%  30%  [ 35 ]
2 Stars 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
1 Star 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 115
 Post subject: Re: Take the Long Way
PostPosted: Thu April 16, 2020 7:13 am 
10Club Complaint Department

The last minute or so of this song is so beautifully perfect. I love it. This might end up being my favorite song on this album. Every single time it ends I want to immediately play it again.

PostPosted: Thu April 16, 2020 12:02 pm 
The worst

this may drop below retrograde for me.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu April 16, 2020 12:34 pm 
AnalLog

This is one of the top songs on the album for me, one I keep coming back to A LOT. A bit surprised it didn't get the almost universal praise a few other tracks did because to me, this is every bit an equal to songs like Quick Escape, DoTC, CTG, Seven O'clock, WES, Alright.

PostPosted: Thu April 16, 2020 2:10 pm 
The worst

It feels just a bit too metal to me, in a postury kind of way. That's almost certainly not fair, but I can't escape it.

it's the lyrics for me, in particular.

And again, I like it fine. No bad songs here. But I don't love it.

I can see it being a monster live

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu April 16, 2020 2:58 pm 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
It feels just a bit too metal to me, in a postury kind of way. That's almost certainly not fair, but I can't escape it.

Yep, yep, yep, yep.

That said, I continue liking it a little bit more each time through.

PostPosted: Thu April 16, 2020 5:38 pm 
Future Drummer

This one is kinda clicking for me today.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 12:40 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I know its been discussed but the lack of bass in this song is so odd. I am not well versed in the metal genre but I know thin/high treble songs are a feature of some metal music (metallica comes to mind). Maybe this is what the band was going for? Anyway, I think it deflates the song a bit. Still a good song but too thin sounding for my taste.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 12:46 pm 
Stone's Bitch

stip wrote:

this is about where i'm at though the bridge really elevates it to riot act territory. look forward to that part every time.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 12:48 pm 
She / Her

Habitman wrote:
I know its been discussed but the lack of bass in this song is so odd. I am not well versed in the metal genre but I know thin/high treble songs are a feature of some metal music (metallica comes to mind). Maybe this is what the band was going for? Anyway, I think it deflates the song a bit. Still a good song but too thin sounding for my taste.

I always associated metal with high low-end / bass, high top-end / treble, and little to no middle; the most "metal" they've ever been is in songs like "Go", "Blood" or "Leash", and especially when Dave A played drums (he was so into his hard bass and very tight snare, and so am I); so yes I do think the high treble in this song is quite metal, but the lack of bass also bothers me; the only way it's grown on me is to imagine this "thin" sound as quite 80s speed metal / thrash, or even (as I've said more than once) retro video game music; it has a certain charm that fits with the album's aesthetic, but depending on what mood I'm in, I can't help wondering what Jeff would have done on it

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 12:50 pm 
AnalLog

I have no concerns whatsoever with this song. :) I'll take it as is and play it on repeat. The ending is sublime. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 12:51 pm 
tl;dr

Release_Me wrote:
I have no concerns whatsoever with this song. :) I'll take it as is and play it on repeat. The ending is sublime. :heartbeat:

Agreed, this is one of the top tracks on this album for me.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 12:52 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Ms Harmless wrote:
Habitman wrote:

I always associated metal with high low-end / bass, high top-end / treble, and little to no middle; the most "metal" they've ever been is in songs like "Go", "Blood" or "Leash", and especially when Dave A played drums (he was so into his hard bass and very tight snare, and so am I); so yes I do think the high treble in this song is quite metal, but the lack of bass also bothers me; the only way it's grown on me is to imagine this "thin" sound as quite 80s speed metal / thrash, or even (as I've said more than once) retro video game music; it has a certain charm that fits with the album's aesthetic, but depending on what mood I'm in, I can't help wondering what Jeff would have done on it

has anyone come up with a good explanation yet for why there is literally no bass on this thing?

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 12:53 pm 
She / Her

it's a great song and when the dust settles I think the weird mixing will be just part of its charm; that's the difference between a generally very well-produced album, and late-career BoB

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 12:54 pm 
She / Her

evenslow wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Habitman wrote:

has anyone come up with a good explanation yet for why there is literally no bass on this thing?

literally no; I was hoping that someone would ask about it in the Reddit q+a thing

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 12:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Ms Harmless wrote:
Habitman wrote:

Thanks for responding... The past songs you mentioned had influences of Metal but still maintained the funk/blues sound that was a staple of their first two records. Take the Long Way is the most overt metal attempt right down to the thin/high treble sound. I guess I just want the song to be more of a banger but clearly they were intending to produce a different sounding song.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 1:13 pm 
Production Police

I genuinely believe they had the bass buss muted or the fader was low when they printed the mix, and no one noticed.

You can hear it faintly in the background, which makes me think it was send to an FX channel, and we're getting a bit of that in the mix, but that the main bass channel was low or muted.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 1:15 pm 
Stone's Bitch

tragabigzanda wrote:
I genuinely believe they had the bass buss muted or the fader was low when they printed the mix, and no one noticed.

You can hear it faintly in the background, which makes me think it was send to an FX channel, and we're getting a bit of that in the mix, but that the main bass channel was low or muted.

that's just crazy enough to be true.

it's No - JA come to life in song.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 1:18 pm 
Stone's Bitch

so when they play this live does Jeff just go backstage and fiddle with his kalimba?

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 1:22 pm 
Production Police

evenslow wrote:
so when they play this live does Jeff just go backstage and fiddle with his kalimba?

I think that's Jeff's role in this on the stage will illuminate what's really going on here

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 1:35 pm 
Stone's Bitch

do we have any board players that feel like adding a bass track to this? could be a fun RM project!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam