The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Gigaton
PostPosted: Fri April 05, 2024 9:38 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Liisten to the album and share your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Gigaton
PostPosted: Fri April 05, 2024 9:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Listening to Gigaton (Tour Edition) on Apple Music now. Had a blast so far. Been several months since I heard the full album last. Near the end of the regular album now, and looking forward to hearing the live versions, which works like a second "disc" here. No live version of Comes Than Goes though.

PostPosted: Sat April 06, 2024 5:15 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Who Ever Said was a real highlight for me yesterday, also Quick Escape and Take The Long Way. Always a fan of Buckle Up, and there’s no denying that DOTC is a top class song.

Retrograde and the end of the album in general, felt like the worst of the listening experience.

The live version of the album on Apple Music had some real highs and lows. The backing vocals (Ament?), were rough in a few places.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 6:33 pm 
AnalLog

Liebzz' funny post about our collective amnesia when it comes to complaining about sound, which I am guilty of, had me put on Gigaton this morning. First I ran with it, then I listened again on a walk to work.

I absolutely love this album. Some of being a fan is hoping the band will meet your expectations and they did that on Gigaton. This album feels like the logical extension of Yield. Effortless, surprising, great lyrics and touches all the bases. I love how Josh Evans helped them sound.

The arrangements of songs helps them live longer. The extra ending on WES, the great middle section of Quick Escape>one more verse>then that monster ending. Never Destinations BRY nod and then the Tom Petty coda.

What really stuck out today was: WES is my favorite opener since BoJ. Superblood Wolfman is such a great song and I was ready to throw it away 4 years ago. Never Destination is my favorite Ed rocker in a while and I can't get enough of it. Finally, Comes Then Goes is EXACTLY what I would hope Ed could produce so late in his career. He knocked that way beyond the fences.

I'm gonna going back to this a lot over the next 2 weeks!

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 6:37 pm 
She / Her

it's a really great album

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 6:59 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Hoping I get here in time before Dark Matter

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 7:12 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

good late period pearl jams.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 7:35 pm 
The worst

Hatfield wrote:
Liebzz' funny post about our collective amnesia when it comes to complaining about sound, which I am guilty of, had me put on Gigaton this morning. First I ran with it, then I listened again on a walk to work.

I absolutely love this album. Some of being a fan is hoping the band will meet your expectations and they did that on Gigaton. This album feels like the logical extension of Yield. Effortless, surprising, great lyrics and touches all the bases. I love how Josh Evans helped them sound.

The arrangements of songs helps them live longer. The extra ending on WES, the great middle section of Quick Escape>one more verse>then that monster ending. Never Destinations BRY nod and then the Tom Petty coda.

What really stuck out today was: WES is my favorite opener since BoJ. Superblood Wolfman is such a great song and I was ready to throw it away 4 years ago. Never Destination is my favorite Ed rocker in a while and I can't get enough of it. Finally, Comes Then Goes is EXACTLY what I would hope Ed could produce so late in his career. He knocked that way beyond the fences.

I'm gonna going back to this a lot over the next 2 weeks!

cosigned

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 3:16 am 
Banned from the Pit

It’s such a pleasant listen regardless of the actual songs on the record and how each of us views them. As said above, the intro/outro of Who Ever Said, the ice breaker type sound at the end of Superblood Wolfmoon that leads into Dance, the musical bridge of Never Destination that has shades of how the jam of Rearviewmirror would play out live (though less Ed here would be nice), the ending of Retrograde.

This album has an ambience and continuity to it that harkens back to some of Pearl Jam’s best albums. Vitalogy had a feeling of cohesiveness of sound. Same with Yield and Binaural. There is a coloration of sound on Gigaton that makes it feels complete even if someone feels it isn’t their finest collection of songs.

It gave me hope after what I would consider were two sterilized offerings and why I have trepidation for what’s coming next week.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 7:24 am 
She / Her

mattyv1908 wrote:
It’s such a pleasant listen regardless of the actual songs on the record and how each of us views them. As said above, the intro/outro of Who Ever Said, the ice breaker type sound at the end of Superblood Wolfmoon that leads into Dance, the musical bridge of Never Destination that has shades of how the jam of Rearviewmirror would play out live (though less Ed here would be nice), the ending of Retrograde.

This album has an ambience and continuity to it that harkens back to some of Pearl Jam’s best albums. Vitalogy had a feeling of cohesiveness of sound. Same with Yield and Binaural. There is a coloration of sound on Gigaton that makes it feels complete even if someone feels it isn’t their finest collection of songs.

It gave me hope after what I would consider were two sterilized offerings and why I have trepidation for what’s coming next week.

this right here is exactly the reason why I rank Gigaton as the Eighth Wonder of the World (alongside Ten thru Riot Act); S/T thru Lightning Bolt just don't have that cohesiveness, though S/T comes very close

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 7:42 am 
Future Drummer

Hatfield wrote:
Superblood Wolfman

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 12:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Mike wrote:
Hatfield wrote:
Superblood Wolfman

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 1:08 pm 
Future Drummer

Ms Harmless wrote:
mattyv1908 wrote:

this right here is exactly the reason why I rank Gigaton as the Eighth Wonder of the World (alongside Ten thru Riot Act); S/T thru Lightning Bolt just don't have that cohesiveness, though S/T comes very close

"Eighth Wonder of the World" :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 1:48 pm 
Future Drummer

Alright really grinds this album to a halt after building some nice momentum (Even if I dislike QE I can see what people like in it...)

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 1:58 pm 
AnalLog

Mike wrote:
Alright really grinds this album to a halt after building some nice momentum (Even if I dislike QE I can see what people like in it...)

Funny, I think this comes at the perfect place, and I really like how it kicks off side 2 on the LP.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 2:08 pm 
She / Her

I cried the first time I heard "Alright", I don't remember the last time PJ did that

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 2:11 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:
I cried the first time I heard "Alright", I don't remember the last time PJ did that

It resonated deeply with me given the lockdown and everything associated with that. I think it's a beauty of a PJ tune.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 2:41 pm 
Future Drummer

Alright is a good song elevated further by its perfect placement.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 2:45 pm 
AnalLog

Jaeti wrote:
Alright is a good song elevated further by its perfect placement.

Completely agree.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 2:53 pm 
The worst

Mike wrote:

conceptually I like to think of it the dream the singer in Seven Oclock has right before waking

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam