The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Rate Seven O'Clock
5 Stars 46%  46%  [ 80 ]
4 Stars 34%  34%  [ 60 ]
3 Stars 13%  13%  [ 23 ]
2 Stars 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
1 Star 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 175
 Post subject: Re: Seven O'Clock
PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2023 9:12 pm 
Production Police

Love the lyrics and the delivery in this song. One of his better approaches to metaphysical jigsaw puzzling, and his melodic upticks serves a nice counterpoint to the ominous churn of the music, like a drowning man trying to rise up from the undertow. He’s still making wave metaphors but now they’re not so literal.

PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2023 10:58 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tl;dr

Can this be my custom status? Does that cost money?

lol. I'll see what we can do!

:haha: I love it :mrgreen: :heartbeat: :peace:

PostPosted: Sun October 29, 2023 12:18 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Oh, talking to his mirror, what's he say? What's it say back?
A tragedy of errors, who'll be the last to have a laugh?
His best days gone, hard to admit
Throwing angry punches with nothing to hit

I love these lyrics. I love the depiction of Trump and his obsession with Twitter. Also its interesting how Ed shows some sympathy too talking about him and his days.

PostPosted: Sun October 29, 2023 12:19 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Also, those guitars...

There is a live version from 2023 on Spotify ( Josh Pick´s were they put a song every friday from the last tour) and the guitars are so fucking good.

PostPosted: Sun October 29, 2023 12:25 pm 
Broken Tamborine

tragabigzanda wrote:
Love the lyrics and the delivery in this song. One of his better approaches to metaphysical jigsaw puzzling, and his melodic upticks serves a nice counterpoint to the ominous churn of the music, like a drowning man trying to rise up from the undertow. He’s still making wave metaphors but now they’re not so literal.

Oddly for me I'd say that the verses in this track are the nadir when it comes to Ed's lyrics and delivery. The words and syllables are bursting out of every bar.

I'm not sure which is worse:

And summer spoke to winter relaying all encouraging words

Or

Moved on from my despondency and left it in the bed

Utter stinkers. Glad you like it tho. God knows I like some PJ tracks that others loathe.

PostPosted: Sun October 29, 2023 2:15 pm 
The worst

i really like that first lyric. It captures the sentiment that folks find too obvious in other verses in a more clever and metaphorical way. The seasonal imagery makes it both cyclical and timeless in a way that captures the experience of the song.

And there is a plucky ‘throw open the curtains and let the light in’ feel to the verses that make the second work in the context of the song.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 4:38 am 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
The phrasing is almost identical to Nick caves more news from nowhere.

I had this exact thought when the album came out.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 6:18 am 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
While I can appreciate the lyrics being somewhat amateurish, when dealing with Covid and a mother dying of cancer ....hearing pastor Vedder sing "swim sideways from this undertow, and do not be deterred" is the most important thing this guy needed to hear and sing along to

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 12:09 pm 
tl;dr

Strat wrote:
While I can appreciate the lyrics being somewhat amateurish, when dealing with Covid and a mother dying of cancer ....hearing pastor Vedder sing "swim sideways from this undertow, and do not be deterred" is the most important thing this guy needed to hear and sing along to

I have similar feelings (for different reasons) about some of the songs on Backspacer, so I can relate to this. No disrespect intended by criticizing the lyrics.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 12:33 pm 
The worst

its also a nice lyric - simple, directive, delivered well, appropriate for the moment, just a dash of metaphor

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 12:37 pm 
The worst

eddie has been writing with intent and incredibly effectiveness for 30 years. he knows what sounds good and, more importantly, he know how to write for his voice - what he can give authority and depth based on his delivery- which is an essential of writing lyrics, where the delivery cannot be seperated from the words. His facility with melody has also grown tremendously over the years.

Not everything is a triumph, or will land with each listener, and there are times i wish he would give something a second pass, but it is rarely, if ever amateurish

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 2:55 pm 
She / Her

I don't know guys, I think Ed has had some great lyrical moments over his career but I never really went to Pearl Jam for the most intricate or inventive lyrics in the business, and I rarely go to rock music for poetry (I'm not saying never); even the best rock music plays with cliché and archetypal image in a way that pushes the boat slightly out while being at least a little comfortingly familiar to the listener (and each rock subgenre has its motifs and ideas that it repeats over and over again)

I think "Seven O'Clock" is an example of a song where every component is working pretty hard to shine; I find the juxtaposition of quick-fire, sometimes a little out of breath lyricism (of the kind Alanis Morissette or Adam Duritz excelled at) with an ambient, warm-evening-sun background really interesting to my ear; yes, it jars at times, and no, it's not always a smooth listen, but I wouldn't want those rough edges smoothed out; they agree with the paradoxical message of the song -- hope and resilience, "much to be done", in the face of seemingly hopeless societal collapse

it's a song where Pearl Jam is firing on all cylinders, on an album full of them... a gift so late in their career

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 3:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

Ms Harmless wrote:
I don't know guys, I think Ed has had some great lyrical moments over his career but I never really went to Pearl Jam for the most intricate or inventive lyrics in the business, and I rarely go to rock music for poetry (I'm not saying never); even the best rock music plays with cliché and archetypal image in a way that pushes the boat slightly out while being at least a little comfortingly familiar to the listener (and each rock subgenre has its motifs and ideas that it repeats over and over again)

I think "Seven O'Clock" is an example of a song where every component is working pretty hard to shine; I find the juxtaposition of quick-fire, sometimes a little out of breath lyricism (of the kind Alanis Morissette or Adam Duritz excelled at) with an ambient, warm-evening-sun background really interesting to my ear; yes, it jars at times, and no, it's not always a smooth listen, but I wouldn't want those rough edges smoothed out; they agree with the paradoxical message of the song -- hope and resilience, "much to be done", in the face of seemingly hopeless societal collapse

it's a song where Pearl Jam is firing on all cylinders, on an album full of them... a gift so late in their career

Well said.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 3:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

Every time my wife hears this song, she sings "Moved on from my despondency and left it in the PIT," in the voice of Andy Dwyer from "Parks and Recreation."

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 6:02 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I might be late to this one but im loving this

PostPosted: Tue October 31, 2023 5:00 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

Vitalogist wrote:
I might be late to this one but im loving this

Much to be done :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Tue October 31, 2023 7:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Even though the song was stopped 2/3rds of the way through when I saw them live, this was one of the best parts of the set. They slayed this song. It's always been a good-not-great song for me but seeing them play it live was a real highlight. And I think it keeps going up in my estimation.

PostPosted: Tue October 31, 2023 7:53 pm 
Future Drummer

epilogue wrote:
Even though the song was stopped 2/3rds of the way through when I saw them live, this was one of the best parts of the set. They slayed this song. It's always been a good-not-great song for me but seeing them play it live was a real highlight. And I think it keeps going up in my estimation.

Ceiling: 6 stars.

PostPosted: Tue October 31, 2023 7:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

You know what... I just changed my vote in the poll from 3 stars to 4. :bammer:

PostPosted: Tue October 31, 2023 10:32 pm 
She / Her

epilogue wrote:
You know what... I just changed my vote in the poll from 3 stars to 4. :bammer:

correct

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam