18%
2 Stars
4%
1 Star
No votes

Total votes : 107

Re: Alright

Sat April 25, 2020 1:43 pm

i do like the way alright builds towards the keep it for yourself conclusion at the end of the verses. it is a nice punctuation lyric

Sat April 25, 2020 2:45 pm

I don't think Unthought Known is bad, but I do think this is better, which is the point I was making

Sat April 25, 2020 2:49 pm

also, it wasn't so much clunky lyrics I was comparing, as a certain type of meditative song

Sat April 25, 2020 3:51 pm

okay, I see that reading back. I thought that was part of your 'better than half of eddie's lyrics' point.

I prefer Alright to Unthought Known as well.

Sat April 25, 2020 4:10 pm

:)

I don't think I need to rehash my thoughts on Ed clunkers; needless to say, Ed has more of them simply because he's written more songs - I just have no real feelings about the "worst" lines in this song either way, and I do about many newer Ed songs (maybe "half" was a bit strong!)

Sat April 25, 2020 6:04 pm

PHATJ wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
PHATJ wrote:Even though this might be my least favorite song on Gigaton (it’s this or Buckle Up), I still fucking love it. :worthy:
Another track where Ed sounds phenomenal, and the transition this song makes is brilliant.

No track on the album gains as much from a full album listen as this one. Anytime I've sought it out on its own I haven't really liked it very much, but after the pummeling of "Quick Escape" it's a perfect exhale before the mind exercise of "Seven O'Clock."

*I see you said something similar upthread. Agreed. :thumbsup:

My sentiments exactly, KD.

Agree but also disagree. It works really well after Quick Escape, but it’s one of the better tracks on its own.

Fri May 08, 2020 10:48 am

listening to Alright, and it strikes me that it is a lot like an inverted pendulum-starting from a similar space but goes to healing and expansive spaces instead of the more enervating and claustrophobic places Pendulum does

Fri May 08, 2020 10:50 am

stip wrote:listening to Alright, and it strikes me that it is a lot like an inverted pendulum-starting from a similar space but goes to healing and expansive spaces instead of the more enervating and claustrophobic places Pendulum does

That's a good take. Alright does sound a lot more open and outward, even as the lyrics are going on about staying at home and shutting down.

Fri May 08, 2020 12:48 pm

Anders wrote:
stip wrote:listening to Alright, and it strikes me that it is a lot like an inverted pendulum-starting from a similar space but goes to healing and expansive spaces instead of the more enervating and claustrophobic places Pendulum does

That's a good take. Alright does sound a lot more open and outward, even as the lyrics are going on about staying at home and shutting down.

it's definitely a healing song, and I love that about it; it feels much more authentic to me than the "everyone stop being sad and get happy!!" attempts they've made; Jeff seems to understand that for some, it involves baby steps

edit: and the first step is simply to give yourself permission to heal, "it's alright" to drop the guilt and you do deserve your healing
Post a reply