17%
2 Stars
4%
1 Star
No votes

Total votes : 106

Re: Alright

Thu April 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Mike wrote:jeff, could you take out the garbage?

No, JA

you disappointment me every day, jeff

*picks up guitar*

:haha:

Thu April 23, 2020 2:22 pm

RockPusher wrote:
mikejasond wrote:I think the lyrics of this one really hold it back on repeated listens. They're just kind of cheesy to me. Too direct and on the nose.

It’s only on the nose because of a situation they could not have foreseen.

I don't mean because of the current events. I just mean they are really obvious lyrics. Like the chorus just seems aggressively unpoetic. I'm not sure what it is but something about the melody/lyrical combination in the chorus just seems very sloppy and amateur.

Thu April 23, 2020 2:26 pm

We live in aggressively unpoetic times, mikejasond.

Thu April 23, 2020 2:38 pm

it's weird, I think a bunch of Ed songs are "aggressively unpoetic" by being prosaic reportage (several on S/T come to mind), but I don't hold songs to high poetic standards and I still don't see the issues people are having with this one, I loved it from the beginning

Thu April 23, 2020 3:17 pm

I really like the song a lot, and the 'it's alright' core concept is good (and Ed really sells it in his performance). But this is largely getting by on his work, rather than what Jeff is asking him to say. I like the eucharist couplet, but a lot of the lines fall flat as lyrics for me. And few moments shine.

Thu April 23, 2020 4:02 pm

At least half of the Pearl Jam catalog is too cheesy for mjd.

Thu April 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Kevin Davis wrote:
PHATJ wrote:Even though this might be my least favorite song on Gigaton (it’s this or Buckle Up), I still fucking love it. :worthy:
Another track where Ed sounds phenomenal, and the transition this song makes is brilliant.

No track on the album gains as much from a full album listen as this one. Anytime I've sought it out on its own I haven't really liked it very much, but after the pummeling of "Quick Escape" it's a perfect exhale before the mind exercise of "Seven O'Clock."

*I see you said something similar upthread. Agreed. :thumbsup:

My sentiments exactly, KD.

Fri April 24, 2020 11:55 am

the 'acid trip' line is really bad, but i dont find the lyrics overly terrible. the music is lovely, i hope they tag 'kid a' onto it

Fri April 24, 2020 2:12 pm

PHATJ wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
PHATJ wrote:Even though this might be my least favorite song on Gigaton (it’s this or Buckle Up), I still fucking love it. :worthy:
Another track where Ed sounds phenomenal, and the transition this song makes is brilliant.

No track on the album gains as much from a full album listen as this one. Anytime I've sought it out on its own I haven't really liked it very much, but after the pummeling of "Quick Escape" it's a perfect exhale before the mind exercise of "Seven O'Clock."

This exchange is a good take on the song and the context. (It’s not in my bottom two though)

Fri April 24, 2020 9:39 pm

stip wrote:I really like the song a lot, and the 'it's alright' core concept is good (and Ed really sells it in his performance). But this is largely getting by on his work, rather than what Jeff is asking him to say. I like the eucharist couplet, but a lot of the lines fall flat as lyrics for me. And few moments shine.

I agree on this. Eddie and the music does help this song a lot, but the lyrics are not good. It's obvious that it was not written by one of the bands good lyricists. Yeah Eddie has cheesy lyrics too but his lyrics are better than this one (and they are often bad too but this is amateury and bad, while Eddie is just earnest and bad)

Fri April 24, 2020 9:42 pm

these lyrics are better than half of Ed's late-career stuff

Fri April 24, 2020 11:03 pm

Bammer wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

This exchange is a good take on the song and the context. (It’s not in my bottom two though)

It’s still 4 stars for me for sure. It’s only in my bottom two because the album is so incredibly strong.

Fri April 24, 2020 11:26 pm

Earnestness will go a long way with me, and this song resonates enough with the S.I.P. experience that I don't have a real problem with the lyrics. The music is also such a refreshing interlude between two pillars of the album.

Sat April 25, 2020 10:11 am

Ms Harmless wrote:these lyrics are better than half of Ed's late-career stuff

That is emphatically false. Whatever shortcomings people may have with latter day Pearl Jam (at whatever point you make that cutoff) the lyrics have been good. With the exception of got some the issues are a line or two here or there (as has always been the case)

Sat April 25, 2020 12:09 pm

its alright
to be wrong
about the lyrics
of this song

Sat April 25, 2020 12:18 pm

stip wrote:

That is emphatically false. Whatever shortcomings people may have with latter day Pearl Jam (at whatever point you make that cutoff) the lyrics have been good. With the exception of got some the issues are a line or two here or there (as has always been the case)

it's my opinion

Sat April 25, 2020 12:23 pm

warehouse wrote:

its alright
to be wrong
about the lyrics
of this song

I wasn't aware we were discussing objective fact

Sat April 25, 2020 12:44 pm

Ms Harmless wrote:
warehouse wrote:

its alright
to be wrong
about the lyrics
of this song

well now you are aware lol

but seriously, what do you think of the "acid trip" line? i dont hate the lyric here, but that line really sticks out as terrible.

Sat April 25, 2020 1:00 pm

warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
warehouse wrote:

its alright
to be wrong
about the lyrics
of this song

well now you are aware lol

but seriously, what do you think of the "acid trip" line? i dont hate the lyric here, but that line really sticks out as terrible.

it's clunky, but it's definitely far from Ed or Mike clunky; nothing here is

this is a skaterboy trying for meditative depth and personal encouragement, and hitting more often than he's missing - and it helps that the music doesn't aim for grandiosity - it's as "small" and intimate as the sentiments themselves; I'll take that over Inside Job, Unthought Known, Pendulum etc.

Sat April 25, 2020 1:39 pm

supersonic is weak, too. forgot that one. Unthought Known is an odd choice for a song to pick for weaker lyrics - that song is full of powerful momentd
Post a reply