The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Rate Alright
5 Stars 27%  27%  [ 29 ]
4 Stars 51%  51%  [ 55 ]
3 Stars 18%  18%  [ 19 ]
2 Stars 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 107
 Post subject: Re: Alright
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:43 pm 
The worst

i do like the way alright builds towards the keep it for yourself conclusion at the end of the verses. it is a nice punctuation lyric

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 2:45 pm 
She / Her

I don't think Unthought Known is bad, but I do think this is better, which is the point I was making

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 2:49 pm 
She / Her

also, it wasn't so much clunky lyrics I was comparing, as a certain type of meditative song

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 3:51 pm 
The worst

okay, I see that reading back. I thought that was part of your 'better than half of eddie's lyrics' point.

I prefer Alright to Unthought Known as well.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 4:10 pm 
She / Her

:)

I don't think I need to rehash my thoughts on Ed clunkers; needless to say, Ed has more of them simply because he's written more songs - I just have no real feelings about the "worst" lines in this song either way, and I do about many newer Ed songs (maybe "half" was a bit strong!)

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 6:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PHATJ wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Even though this might be my least favorite song on Gigaton (it’s this or Buckle Up), I still fucking love it. :worthy:
Another track where Ed sounds phenomenal, and the transition this song makes is brilliant.

No track on the album gains as much from a full album listen as this one. Anytime I've sought it out on its own I haven't really liked it very much, but after the pummeling of "Quick Escape" it's a perfect exhale before the mind exercise of "Seven O'Clock."

*I see you said something similar upthread. Agreed. :thumbsup:

My sentiments exactly, KD.

Agree but also disagree. It works really well after Quick Escape, but it’s one of the better tracks on its own.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:48 am 
The worst

listening to Alright, and it strikes me that it is a lot like an inverted pendulum-starting from a similar space but goes to healing and expansive spaces instead of the more enervating and claustrophobic places Pendulum does

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:50 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
listening to Alright, and it strikes me that it is a lot like an inverted pendulum-starting from a similar space but goes to healing and expansive spaces instead of the more enervating and claustrophobic places Pendulum does

That's a good take. Alright does sound a lot more open and outward, even as the lyrics are going on about staying at home and shutting down.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:48 pm 
She / Her

Anders wrote:
stip wrote:

That's a good take. Alright does sound a lot more open and outward, even as the lyrics are going on about staying at home and shutting down.

it's definitely a healing song, and I love that about it; it feels much more authentic to me than the "everyone stop being sad and get happy!!" attempts they've made; Jeff seems to understand that for some, it involves baby steps

edit: and the first step is simply to give yourself permission to heal, "it's alright" to drop the guilt and you do deserve your healing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam