The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 40  Next

Rate Who Ever Said
5 Stars 33%  33%  [ 52 ]
4 Stars 52%  52%  [ 81 ]
3 Stars 13%  13%  [ 20 ]
2 Stars 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 157
 Post subject: Re: Who Ever Said
PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:01 pm 
She / Her

oneway23 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
tree_ wrote:
This feels more like nearing the end than heading in a direction, especially by looking at their faces in that photo. I hope Stone will be happy one day.

I don't see anything but a bunch of miserable RAWK musicians because that's what you do in a RAWK photo; it feels like an attempt to remind us that they angrily RAWK
That RAWK look should be strong, determined, a no-bullshit state of mind. Not lethargic depression.

I don't think I understand the difference

Stop fucking around and listen to Clutch

FYI - great post above re: dynamics :heartbeat:

haha! I haven't heard much clutch (lol), I shall!

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:03 pm 
AnalLog

bodysnatcher wrote:
Hoping Gigaton mixes it up a bit.

I can almost guarantee, for instance, that the R.E.M.-style into to Swallowed Whole was NOT on whatever demo Ed had made prior to coming in.
I know someone else came up with that.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:05 pm 
She / Her

bodysnatcher wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
FlatSideofaDog wrote:
It has never been Ed's band. He's not Roger Waters or Kurt Cobain. EV wrote 1/3 of Vitalogy; around 40% of No Code and Lightning Bolt; less than 20% of Yield; about 1/3 of binaural and riot act, and self-titled; about half of backspacer.

For me, I think it's more about the fact that I can close my eyes and pretty much already hear all of Ed's contributions to this record.
Speaking as someone with admittedly no distinguishable songwriting talent, his stuff has gotten really monotonous over the past dozen years or so.

Some beautiful stuff over that time, but, let's shake it up a bit, yeah?

I have no idea how to play guitar, but this is similar to my take away the past decade. This is the guy who wrote "I Got Shit". That opening is so fucking good. It's like he lost his sense of nuance and tension. Now a song comes on and it's like, "Oh, here's Ed again."

Spoiler: show

to be fair, we don't know how this song begins and we don't know that it doesn't have a killer riff somewhere; this clip seems to be a lil break / interlude like the SBWM one was; we do know, from what reviews have said, that it apparently takes twists and turns and changes up halfway through, so we may yet get some of those dynamics

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:07 pm 
She / Her

oneway23 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

I can almost guarantee, for instance, that the R.E.M.-style into to Swallowed Whole was NOT on whatever demo Ed had made prior to coming in.

it really seemed very un-characteristically Pearl Jam, almost like BoB had said "hey that's good but... how about something more like this?"

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:08 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Strat wrote:
Yea but that is forgetting the point that stone hasn't wrote a great riff in 20 years. Rival.

Maybe

I.like their classic rock and punk but after this album i hope they take a break from those on the majority of the next album. Some cleaner and more memorable (less generic) riffs would be a good change. If they have to copy a riff style on the next one it should be of Ten, Vs or maybe Yield.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:09 pm 
A Return To Form

Riff sorta reminds me of Ghost in a weird way.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:11 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

it really seemed very un-characteristically Pearl Jam, almost like BoB had said "hey that's good but... how about something more like this?"

Spot-on....entirely plausible. It was almost too cool for me to hear that. I'm convinced there's no conceivable way that would have been the intro to another Ed-penned Who rave-up.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:13 pm 
She / Her

oneway23 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Spot-on....entirely plausible. It was almost too cool for me to hear that. I'm convinced there's no conceivable way that would have been the intro to another Ed-penned Who rave-up.

it's a very good example of what would be more like Counting Crows usually... I can't remember if "Accidentally In Love" begins like that but it's the song that came to mind

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:38 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I'm expecting the "twist" in this song is actually a big bridge (usually my favorite parts of a PJ song, Life Wasted, Comatose, Severed Hand have awesome bridges) before roaring back into it's chorus at the end.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:41 pm 
She / Her

I'm excited about that, I don't remember an elongated bridge in a PJ song, especially one that perhaps goes mellow and gentle before going back in; PJ have set a high bar with bridges, so this needs to be great

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:44 pm 
AnalLog

I think this song is going to go a few directions in the near 6 minutes.

Quote:
The opening of “Who Ever Said” is the kind of adrenalizing promise we shouldn’t dare ask from a band whose members are pushing six decades on the planet. With show-opener energy, the track is buoyantly punchy, even when it breaks open at the halfway point into Vedder’s magnetically contemplative counter-cadence to the beat (“Blinking stars, beneath you roam… room to tomb and cradle to grave…”). The song builds seductively, to a frantic climax as the final chorus rides out the moment for a delicious false finish.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:45 pm 

Ms Harmless wrote:
I'm excited about that, I don't remember an elongated bridge in a PJ song, especially one that perhaps goes mellow and gentle before going back in; PJ have set a high bar with bridges, so this needs to be great

Just timed it, the bridge on Severed Hand goes on for almost 40 seconds, so I can see a good bridge being stretched out to about a minute. If I remember correctly, I think Quick Escape also takes some turns into a bridge as well. This is usually where Pearl Jam shine.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:52 pm 
Future Drummer

Is it me or does this sound like almost exactly like Superblood Wolfmoon?

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:52 pm 
She / Her

Vindicator wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Just timed it, the bridge on Severed Hand goes on for almost 40 seconds, so I can see a good bridge being stretched out to about a minute. If I remember correctly, I think Quick Escape also takes some turns into a bridge as well. This is usually where Pearl Jam shine.

I totally agree

my favourite S/T moment is the bridge of Life Wasted

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:54 pm 
She / Her

mikejasond wrote:

I think it's similar; hopefully overall the song is just Breakerfall - God's Dice similar

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 7:57 pm 

mikejasond wrote:

similar chords for sure

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 8:44 pm 
Future Drummer

This snippet is doing nothing for me. Sounds generic. Hopefully the whole song is good.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 9:35 pm 
The worst

what SBWM did really well, and you can see in the who ever said’ snippet, is take a more traditional riff and surround it with some really cook color. That is the piece missing on some of the recent songs in this vein

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 9:48 pm 
She / Her

stip wrote:
what SBWM did really well, and you can see in the who ever said’ snippet, is take a more traditional riff and surround it with some really cool color. That is the piece missing on some of the recent songs in this vein

agreed

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 10:53 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:
stip wrote:
what SBWM did really well, and you can see in the who ever said’ snippet, is take a more traditional riff and surround it with some really cool color. That is the piece missing on some of the recent songs in this vein

agreed

Absolutely! The last album had no ambience, and Backspacer was meant to be something else. I feel like the new one will be better because it's going to have some of those flourishes and memorable moments.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam