The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 40  Next

Rate Who Ever Said
5 Stars 33%  33%  [ 52 ]
4 Stars 52%  52%  [ 81 ]
3 Stars 13%  13%  [ 20 ]
2 Stars 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 157
 Post subject: Re: Who Ever Said
PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:18 pm 
She / Her

he's written less than half of this

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:22 pm 
AnalLog

FlatSideofaDog wrote:
It has never been Ed's band. He's not Roger Waters or Kurt Cobain. EV wrote 1/3 of Vitalogy; around 40% of No Code and Lightning Bolt; less than 20% of Yield; about 1/3 of binaural and riot act, and self-titled; about half of backspacer.

For me, I think it's more about the fact that I can close my eyes and pretty much already hear all of Ed's contributions to this record.
Speaking as someone with admittedly no distinguishable songwriting talent, his stuff has gotten really monotonous over the past dozen years or so.

Some beautiful stuff over that time, but, let's shake it up a bit, yeah?

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

Last edited by oneway23 on Wed March 18, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
Yea but that is forgetting the point that stone hasn't wrote a great riff in 20 years. Rival.

Maybe

I don't mind the writing, but there are some songs where I wish he would put the guitar down; he just takes up so much space by thrashing open chords that it leaves a lot less real estate for other guitars to work without it turning into mush. It's why I think you see Stone most often doing a lot of high single note flourishes on Ed's stuff; anything else would just be lost in the mix entirely. There's definitely exceptions, but I'm not sure PJ is especially great at arrangements as a three-guitar band.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:24 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Yeah there really isn't much to be excited about, here, unfortunately. I think a new, more interesting approach from Ed would be if he didn't try. Just stop with the RAWK HARDD effort. Mumble in a quiet baritone. I would like that.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:26 pm 
AnalLog

digster wrote:
Strat wrote:
Yea but that is forgetting the point that stone hasn't wrote a great riff in 20 years. Rival.

Maybe

I don't mind the writing, but there are some songs where I wish he would put the guitar down; he just takes up so much space by thrashing open chords that it leaves a lot less real estate for other guitars to work without it turning into mush. It's why I think you see Stone most often doing a lot of high single note flourishes on Ed's stuff; anything else would just be lost in the mix entirely. There's definitely exceptions, but I'm not sure PJ is especially great at arrangements as a three-guitar band.

This is insightful. There's only but so much room within the frequency spectrum, and, if you're taking up the space where I used to sit, I can really only double you up or play in a different range, likely clashing with other, already settled elements. Not really too much room to roam

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:28 pm 
Broken Tamborine

adamhewett wrote:
Mike wrote:
vedder's voice is already on the brink, it'd be nice to see the dude remember he actually is a baritone and focus on delivering the goods.

Ed has sung less true baritone in his career than most realize. Vs-Yield (his best run as a singer) has a lot of upper register stuff going on.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:29 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Habitman wrote:
adamhewett wrote:
Mike wrote:
vedder's voice is already on the brink, it'd be nice to see the dude remember he actually is a baritone and focus on delivering the goods.

Ed has sung less true baritone in his career than most realize. Vs-Yield (his best run as a singer) has a lot of upper register stuff going on.
Yeah but he could DO IT then... Now he sounds like he's trying so damn hard and it's off putting

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:39 pm 
She / Her

this band used to play a lot with space and dynamics (consider the break in the music, and the drum fill, before the first verse of "Alive"); and now, they just tend to thrash a lot, ever since S-T really... which might be fine if the guitar tone ever really had teeth anymore

these things haven't been total dealbreakers for a long time, I got over them; but at some point PJ just shifted, for me, from a riffage-and-groove band, to a jangly open-chord one much more like Counting Crows in their moderate "energy" (I used to call CC "a quieter, more country PJ"; and now that contrast is less apparent)

it's other things I've needed PJ to fix, most importantly that they get another producer who will take on the job of project manager and shake them up a bit; and I really think that has happened at this point, but to enjoy all of the effects of that, they probably need a couple more albums' time together, to really truly shake off some issues

I think they're going in a good direction

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:42 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

This feels more like nearing the end than heading in a direction, especially by looking at their faces in that photo. I hope Stone will be happy one day.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:45 pm 
A Return To Form

Habitman wrote:
adamhewett wrote:
Mike wrote:

Yes - I think of this as his mid-range and it's where he still nails it (somewhere between SWBM and the highest parts of In Hiding). Even after his low register became nasally and his falsetto weakened, he could always sing for example Release and GTF. The mid-range parts in LB (the song) sound great, but then the very end is where he goes a little too high. The tempo of the song seems to make a difference too (slower and less wordy seems to turn out better).

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:48 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

You guys are sure getting worked up over a 15 second clip of a 5+ minute song.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:50 pm 
She / Her

tree_ wrote:
This feels more like nearing the end than heading in a direction, especially by looking at their faces in that photo. I hope Stone will be happy one day.

I don't see anything but a bunch of miserable RAWK musicians because that's what you do in a RAWK photo; it feels like an attempt to remind us that they angrily RAWK

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:50 pm 
The Master

EJ wrote:
You guys are sure getting worked up over a 15 second clip of a 5+ minute song.

I's the RM way.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

oneway23 wrote:
FlatSideofaDog wrote:
It has never been Ed's band. He's not Roger Waters or Kurt Cobain. EV wrote 1/3 of Vitalogy; around 40% of No Code and Lightning Bolt; less than 20% of Yield; about 1/3 of binaural and riot act, and self-titled; about half of backspacer.

For me, I think it's more about the fact that I can close my eyes and pretty much already hear all of Ed's contributions to this record.
Speaking as someone with admittedly no distinguishable songwriting talent, his stuff has gotten really monotonous over the past dozen years or so.

Some beautiful stuff over that time, but, let's shake it up a bit, yeah?

I have no idea how to play guitar, but this is similar to my take away the past decade. This is the guy who wrote "I Got Shit". That opening is so fucking good. It's like he lost his sense of nuance and tension. Now a song comes on and it's like, "Oh, here's Ed again."

Spoiler: show

Hoping Gigaton mixes it up a bit.

Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ms Harmless wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I don't see anything but a bunch of miserable RAWK musicians because that's what you do in a RAWK photo; it feels like an attempt to remind us that they angrily RAWK
That RAWK look should be strong, determined, a no-bullshit state of mind. Not lethargic depression.

She / Her

but honestly, if this album is their Swansong, I think it'll be a solid one, if not the best thing ever

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:53 pm 
She / Her

tree_ wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
tree_ wrote:

That RAWK look should be strong, determined, a no-bullshit state of mind. Not lethargic depression.

I don't think I understand the difference

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:54 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ms Harmless wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
tree_ wrote:

It's a feeling you get from looking at it.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:59 pm 
She / Her

tree_ wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
tree_ wrote:

It's a feeling you get from looking at it.

no *you*

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 6:59 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Stop fucking around and listen to Clutch

FYI - great post above re: dynamics :heartbeat:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam