The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 40  Next

Rate Who Ever Said
5 Stars 33%  33%  [ 52 ]
4 Stars 52%  52%  [ 81 ]
3 Stars 13%  13%  [ 20 ]
2 Stars 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 157
 Post subject: Re: Who Ever Said
PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 5:39 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

"Hey it's a cool coincidence that this album was recorded in a socially distant way, sort of like we're all socially distancing"
"It had nothing to do with the virus"
"No, I know that, it's just a cool coincidence"
"No, it's just how things are done now, the previous albums were done in similar ways because band members also worked individually"
"Okay but we're not talking about working individually, we're talking about working almost completely remotely"
"That's just an extension of what they used to be doing"
"Okay. All I said was it was a cool coincidence"
"YOU NEED TO CALM DOWN!!!"

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 5:39 pm 
She / Her

I like most of this song

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 5:41 pm 
She / Her

theplatypus wrote:
"Hey it's a cool coincidence that this album was recorded in a socially distant way, sort of like we're all socially distancing"
"No, it's just how things are done now, the previous albums were done in similar ways because band members also worked individually"
"Okay but we're not talking about working individually, we're talking about working almost completely remotely"

thank you :)

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 6:19 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

You did call him an asshole so I'm not sure my summary was entirely fair but I think I got the spirit of it

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 6:24 pm 
She / Her

I don't think he's an asshole, not as a noun

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 10:04 pm 
Rank This Poster

Ms Harmless wrote:
I like most of this song

what dont you like about it?

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 10:04 pm 
Rank This Poster

theplatypus wrote:

excellent contribution

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 10:45 pm 
She / Her

warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I like most of this song

mostly bits of the first part, before "home is where the broken heart is" (I love it from then on)

I wish the guitars in the intro were more aggressive

I don't love the synth-sounding melody part

I love half of the chorus ("whoever said it's all been said") but not the other half ("gave up on satisfaction!"); I feel as if that part kind of betrays the subject of the song and the tone; I just find it a bit trite

the good news is those parts go by quickly and the rest is really good

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 10:50 pm 
The Master

Ms Harmless wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I like most of this song

mostly bits of the first part, before "home is where the broken heart is" (I love it from then on)

I love half of the chorus ("whoever said it's all been said") but not the other half ("gave up on satisfaction!"); I feel as if that part kind of betrays the subject of the song and the tone; I just find it a bit trite

Recently learning the simpel guitar part for the chorus...I fucking love it. Its the perfect example of Ed not having the greatest grasp on music theory. Its such a strange little riff that shouldnt carry the awesome melody that it does....but eds genius makes it pop. Its great.

and I love the delivery "Gave up on satisfaction!"

The beginning guitar is pretty weak. That is definitely eds guitar and maybe should have been stones. Just that first part "duh duhd uhd uhduhduhduhd duhduhdduhd "

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 10:56 pm 
She / Her

Strat wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I like most of this song

Recently learning the simpel guitar part for the chorus...I fucking love it. Its the perfect example of Ed not having the greatest grasp on music theory. Its such a strange little riff that shouldnt carry the awesome melody that it does....but eds genius makes it pop. Its great.

The beginning guitar is pretty weak. That is definitely eds guitar and maybe should have been stones. Just that first part "duh duhd uhd uhduhduhduhd duhduhdduhd "

yeah I mean, I think if that first impression had more crunch, I could forgive the other parts so much more easily; I think it could've done with Stone's rhythm guitar expertise to create texture, yeah

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 11:01 pm 
The Master

Ms Harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I like most of this song

yeah I mean, I think if that first impression had more crunch, I could forgive the other parts so much more easily; I think it could've done with Stone's rhythm guitar expertise to create texture, yeah

Its weak because its ed's tele and slightly overdriven fender amp.

The intro needed actually palm muted distortion. Needed some meat

Last edited by Strat on Mon April 13, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 11:51 pm 
The worst

Ms Harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I like most of this song

I like that first part - I think it has real bite through the first verse, especially with Ed’s growl. Simple but fierce

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 12:05 am 
The Master

stip wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I like most of this song

I like that first part - I think it has real bite through the first verse, especially with Ed’s growl. Simple but fierce

I edited.

But the very very very first part. After the ominous intro....immediately after with the palm muted guitar.

It is weak. Its ed's guitar tone. Would have benefited from some real overdrive rather than eds overdriven fender.

When the actual riff kicks in it sounds great.

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 12:39 pm 
The worst

at 26 seconds? agreed

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 12:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I like most of this song

i agree w/ harmless, half of the chorus is great and the other is kinda weird. i also think the second half of the song is stronger, but i really love ed's vocals when he starts singing. also, this is the most accurate ive ever seen a guitar part written with letter lol

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 12:54 pm 
She / Her

warehouse wrote:
Strat wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I like most of this song

i agree w/ harmless, half of the chorus is great and the other is kinda weird. i also think the second half of the song is stronger, but i really love ed's vocals when he starts singing. also, this is the most accurate ive ever seen a guitar part written with letter lol

this thread has not given up on satisfaction!

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 12:58 pm 
Rank This Poster

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 3:26 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
stip wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I like most of this song

I edited.

But the very very very first part. After the ominous intro....immediately after with the palm muted guitar.

It is weak. Its ed's guitar tone. Would have benefited from some real overdrive rather than eds overdriven fender.

When the actual riff kicks in it sounds great.

And that ringing out chord at :42, :48 and after the line "gave up on satisfaction" is Stone, right?

I love the guitar tone that kicks in on the bottom end after "It's all delivery"

Jeff's climbing bass line at :54....I love it.

The whole up and down, swell and crash, build and break this song creates is executed so well. It's visceral.

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 4:35 pm 
She / Her

this one has really climbed for me today, and other people analysing the musical contributions of the parts I'm less keen on is helping

I think in the end I'm going to see this song as rather like "Breakerfall" - much greater than the sum of its parts

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 10:14 pm 
She / Her

I just find "satisfaction" such a shallow word; the song is about something much deeper than "fuck yeah this is a great song I've written, and I love this burger!"; it's about holding onto your hope, your sanity, in the face of government and media double-speak and personal chaos and tragedy; I just feel like "satisfaction" is such a low stakes word in a song that is about high stakes; it's nowhere near the "not today Satan" that Corduroy is

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam