The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 19157
Ms Harmless wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I tried to get the Apple TV+ app and it said my card number was not valid, lol fuck this shit


You have to apply for and use the Apple credit card


haha! Omg


does this mean we have to merge this whole thread now with PRAMG???

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 22675
Josh says the process was very organic. The band is always recording music, doesnt matter if its for the band, solo projects or movie scores.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 19157
i think it’s clear at this point that BOB shaped their ‘late era’ in terrible ways that starved us all of the true creative PJ we know and love

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 12345
Location: Washington State
boy these subtitles are something else. I mean I know Eddie mumbles but I figured a person was transcribing these things.

"(inaudible) Circumstance"

"That Dixon Vixen Viloins"

"Stand back (inaudible)"

"Feel the retrograe all around"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:51 am
Posts: 92
Location: Hey Ho Rio de Janeiro
Wasn't Josh suposed to answer fans questions? Did I miss that?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 2:02 am 
Offline
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 10:13 pm
Posts: 745
96583UP wrote:
i think it’s clear at this point that BOB shaped their ‘late era’ in terrible ways that starved us all of the true creative PJ we know and love


I never heard a loss of creativity, hard work, or focus. I think the band just made some choices a few fans didn't like, and that a bunch of fans did.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 3:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Tue July 09, 2013 2:13 am
Posts: 262
Location: Twin Cities
Ed's vocals are definitely kicked up in the mix. You can enhance that even further if you crank up your center channel. Mike's guitar seemed a little more forward at times too. I don't have a Dolby Atmos system but it sounded really good in Dolby Digital 5.1 on my mid-range Sony receiver and Yamaha speakers.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 3:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Tue July 09, 2013 2:13 am
Posts: 262
Location: Twin Cities
Tuolumne wrote:
96583UP wrote:
i think it’s clear at this point that BOB shaped their ‘late era’ in terrible ways that starved us all of the true creative PJ we know and love


I never heard a loss of creativity, hard work, or focus. I think the band just made some choices a few fans didn't like, and that a bunch of fans did.


BOB had a major hand in defining the band's album sound during (in my opinion) their greatest era. It's always going to be hard for me to slam the guy. Vs. and Yield especially sound fucking incredible. BS and LB aren't great records but I still like them and I don't think their failings can all be laid at the feet of BOB. The band's heart just wasn't in those albums. I think that affected them more than anything else. If they had better songs on them I doubt people would be complaining about "the production" as much.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 3:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Tue July 09, 2013 2:13 am
Posts: 262
Location: Twin Cities
B wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
B wrote:
What percentage of the population has this at home?

Image


Who would even WANT a setup like that. I can’t imagine having to walk around all of those speakers — likely with the lights out — just to go piss.

Imagine falling asleep on that couch, and trying to get up to stumble to bed.


Well, I'm assuming you'd fit them into your decor, but how do you even supply power to those ones on the ceiling without calling an electrician?

So, I can't achieve Dolby Atmos level quality, but I can play this on a system with surround sound and it'll be cool, right?

It's the ceiling speakers that really make the difference. I don't live in a space where that would be feasible even if I could afford it!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 4:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 8:21 pm
Posts: 102
Johnny Turner wrote:
Wasn't Josh suposed to answer fans questions? Did I miss that?

It's on their Instagram. Decent convo between Josh and the producer of the videos, who had previously never spoken to each other.

Their IG has the video of it, fortunately minus the chat from the livestream.

The livestream chat was a fucking shitshow, consisting almost entirely of:

1) Brazilian flags.
2) "Where's Eddie?"
3) Brazilian flags. (Who gives a flying fuck where you live?)
4) "When does the music start?"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:17 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 26, 2020 12:10 pm
Posts: 3366
Location: Warwickshire, UK
THAT DIXON VIXEN VIOLINS


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 642
darthvedder81 wrote:
B wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
B wrote:
What percentage of the population has this at home?

Image


Who would even WANT a setup like that. I can’t imagine having to walk around all of those speakers — likely with the lights out — just to go piss.

Imagine falling asleep on that couch, and trying to get up to stumble to bed.


Well, I'm assuming you'd fit them into your decor, but how do you even supply power to those ones on the ceiling without calling an electrician?

So, I can't achieve Dolby Atmos level quality, but I can play this on a system with surround sound and it'll be cool, right?

It's the ceiling speakers that really make the difference. I don't live in a space where that would be feasible even if I could afford it!


This monstrosity setup is no longer really necessary to decode Atmos...Soundbars aplenty have upward firing channels and/or additional channels on the rear wireless speaker for around $450-$500. How it compares to a "full setup", who knows, but, the format is at least reasonably attainable.

_________________
We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64328
Someone said they have other PJ content on there, they were watching SVT?

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13089
Location: Oslo, Norway
Not sure if included with Apple TV+, but I’ve previously bought SVT, Pearl Jam Twenty and The Kids Are Twenty on the Itunes Store, and can watch them on Apple Tv+ as well.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 642
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Someone said they have other PJ content on there, they were watching SVT?


I see that you can buy SVT & PJ20 on the app, but that's about it

_________________
We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64328
Oh maybe that was it

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 642
Slightly OT, but, Apple's app offering is so strange. Their TV app is an odd mishmash of links to other apps and their content, old iTunes purchasing options, and a sliver of original content. I thought they were lauded for UX design?

_________________
We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Mon April 27, 2020 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Banned from the Pit
 Profile

Joined: Tue July 23, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 30
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
I have a Dolby Atmos setup and can confirm this sounds real nice. I really hope they release this on blu ray. I’ve got quite a few surround sound albums on blu-ray/DVD-A/SACD already and this would be great to own.

_________________
"It's chowdah! Chowdah!! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you! Especially those of you in the jury!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Mon April 27, 2020 2:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13089
Location: Oslo, Norway
oneway23 wrote:
Slightly OT, but, Apple's app offering is so strange. Their TV app is an odd mishmash of links to other apps and their content, old iTunes purchasing options, and a sliver of original content. I thought they were lauded for UX design?


I love their app on apple tv. Can watch prime, hbo, viaplay, sumo, dplay via their app. The last three are local apps here, with various sports and movies. Only netflix and nrk (local app) refuse to have their shows on Apple next.

You can go to separate apps as well on apple tv, but once I got used to the all in one method, separate apps seemed old fashioned. Probably watch less netflix because of this.

There are also all the itunes movies there to buy or rent.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Mon April 27, 2020 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 642
Anders wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
Slightly OT, but, Apple's app offering is so strange. Their TV app is an odd mishmash of links to other apps and their content, old iTunes purchasing options, and a sliver of original content. I thought they were lauded for UX design?


I love their app on apple tv. Can watch prime, hbo, viaplay, sumo, dplay via their app. The last three are local apps here, with various sports and movies. Only netflix and nrk (local app) refuse to have their shows on Apple next.

You can go to separate apps as well on apple tv, but once I got used to the all in one method, separate apps seemed old fashioned. Probably watch less netflix because of this.

There are also all the itunes movies there to buy or rent.


We can take this elsewhere if there's a thread for Apple or AppleTV, but, if I click on "Clone Wars", for instance, it tells me it's on Disney+, which I then click on the link, and it either downloads Disney+ if I don't have the app, or, opens it if I do...Just feels largely redundant to me when I could skip all that and just open Disney+.

Anyway, I'm using it either on an iPad and/or a Roku TV. What I've described perhaps plays out differently on an AppleTV

_________________
We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed September 30, 2020 9:57 am