The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matt Cameron Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Tue April 12, 2022 3:41 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

i heard a few and it seemed like a fun little side proyect

PostPosted: Tue April 12, 2022 5:00 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Krist Novoselic played bass on the Foo Fighters’ I Should Have Known off Wasting Light. I remember this haunting feeling as the bass boomed in and the song to me is a big highlight in the Foo Fighters discography in large part because they used his contribution so well. I frankly barely hear him on this album. Same but for a few flourishes from Kim Thayil - and the drumming is even less signature Matt Cameron than what some complain about with Pearl Jam. I wish they were either mixed in better or simply utilized in such a way that those guys really matter. I wonder how much collaboration was done in this or what amount of famous guys in the room there is to this. The songs aren’t bad at all, but they also don’t reveal anything of particular note on the first listen.

PostPosted: Tue April 12, 2022 5:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Kim is very noticiable when it appears but yeah, i agree.

PostPosted: Tue April 12, 2022 7:50 pm 
A Return To Form

yeah, this isn't working for me, except kim when he's let loose. the vocals sucks too, this just sounds like giants in the woods only slightly better since with guests kim and matt.

This fine lady can sing but she's not really tying this project together, it needed a more charismatic singer maybe, someone who could have presided over this properly.

PostPosted: Tue April 12, 2022 8:06 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

armogi wrote:
yeah, this isn't working for me, except kim when he's let loose. the vocals sucks too, this just sounds like giants in the woods only slightly better since with guests kim and matt.

This fine lady can sing but she's not really tying this project together, it needed a more charismatic singer maybe, someone who could have presided over this properly.

I think it had potential, if they built the songs a little further and provided more moments of Kim Thayil flash, and maybe worked the songs into odd time signatures that make Matt Cameron projects interesting.

PostPosted: Tue April 12, 2022 11:18 pm 
A Return To Form

liebzz wrote:
armogi wrote:

I think it had potential, if they built the songs a little further and provided more moments of Kim Thayil flash, and maybe worked the songs into odd time signatures that make Matt Cameron projects interesting.

absolutely, they are under utilized here for sure. I'm bummed now, this really had potential.
Shit, get buzzo and/or mark arm next time! and kathleen hanna or one of the L7 chicks if it needs to be a female singer.

PostPosted: Tue April 12, 2022 11:58 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, maybe a different singer would have been better. They are fine but repetitive.

Still i need to give this one a proper listen.

PostPosted: Tue April 19, 2022 7:16 am 
Broken Tamborine

I Chose Me - first live performance at the Museum Of Pop Culture in Seattle:

Kim recording guitar solo for Lies Fade Away:

http://3rdsecret.com/

PostPosted: Tue April 19, 2022 11:01 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Kim playing a Gibson SG is like something out of a slightly altered dimension, where things are familiar but not quite right.

Unsettling.

PostPosted: Tue April 19, 2022 2:47 pm 
Major Dude

Birds in Hell wrote:
Kim playing a Gibson SG is like something out of a slightly altered dimension, where things are familiar but not quite right.

Unsettling.

Well said

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2022 7:14 am 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:

Unsettling.

Lol. At first I was like “I’m sorry what? What’s the problem?”

And then I remembered. Lol

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2022 2:35 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Unsettling.

I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2022 4:50 pm 
The Master

guitar_davey wrote:
Strat wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Unsettling.

I'm missing something.

He seemingly - mostly - played guild guitars with very SG like bodies. Always just assumed an SG in his hands.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2022 9:36 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Yes, like Strat said - Kim Thayil is probably the world's most notable player of the Guild S-100 (below). He's played a variety of them consistently throughout his career:

As a guitar design, it's obviously been heavily influenced by the Gibson SG, a guitar Kim has never been seen playing - until the second video above:

PostPosted: Fri April 22, 2022 5:57 am 
mXn

That first gal singing stole her outfit from Tree’s warcraft character

PostPosted: Fri April 22, 2022 6:47 am 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
Yes, like Strat said - Kim Thayil is probably the world's most notable player of the Guild S-100 (below). He's played a variety of them consistently throughout his career:

As a guitar design, it's obviously been heavily influenced by the Gibson SG, a guitar Kim has never been seen playing - until the second video above:

Ha, that's amazing. I actually own that black SG Standard. I never noticed that KT was playing an SG-inspired Guild. Always just took for granted that it was a Gibson. :bammer:

Post subject: Matt Cameron in the new Taylor Hawkin's RS article
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:43 am 
A Return To Form

This article is mainly about Taylor and the lead up to his final days, though there is some stuff about Matt.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/taylor-hawkins-foo-fighters-tribute-1347073/

Some key quotes that are interesting within the context of Matt being out and the replacement drummer discussion:

Quote:
Hawkins turned to Cameron for advice, since the Pearl Jam drummer faced similar pressures. “There’s only a handful of guys in our profession that still play this intense high-energy, Nineties rock music,” Cameron says. “We both had to strike that balance of ‘We never want to complain,’ but there are real, specific things about what we do that’s really fucking challenging and really difficult. … It’s like we have to be able to sort of run a marathon every time we hit the stage, just because the music sort of calls for that type of energy.”

But Pearl Jam took off all of 2019 and 2020. They played a scant four shows in 2021. In that same three-year span, the Foos did more than 70 concerts. “They were the first ones to go back at it super hard, and [Taylor and I] definitely had discussions about that,” Cameron says. “He was a little apprehensive, understandably, just because of all the Covid bullshit that was going on. So there was all these different factors that were weighing on him stepping back into the ring.”

Some other bits about Taylor's relationship with Chad Smith.

I suppose this is a good reminder to me that Matt, with all the workman like drumming, keeps the Pearl Jam machine going when they play long tours. This was probably especially important in 1998, 2000 and 2006.

I'm digging the new sounds like everyone here over the last few days, though I wonder if it is sustainable.

Post subject: Re: Matt Cameron in the new Taylor Hawkin's RS article
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:59 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

We'll, now we know he's got back-up.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:23 pm 
Major Dude

And Matt is what, 10 years older than Taylor?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It’s bc he’s a robot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam