The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153

Superblood Wolfmoon
5 Stars: Gigaton is gonna be fucking amazing 12%  12%  [ 29 ]
4 Stars: I'll keep staying up for these, even though I have to get my ass up for work tomorrow 39%  39%  [ 96 ]
3 Stars: It's no DotC 33%  33%  [ 83 ]
2 Stars: Good night 11%  11%  [ 27 ]
1 Star: Pearl Jam sucks 6%  6%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 249
 Post subject: Re: Superblood Wolfmoon
PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2024 6:09 am 
Posting (live)

Anders wrote:
Jaeti wrote:
stip wrote:
Like Force of Nature and Lightning Bolt its a great song (prob my favorite of the three) that gets hamstrung by a bland begining

Force Of Nature is just better.

Aw huh. LB and SBWM are awful.

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2024 1:40 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

The lyrics are cringe and the delivery of them is worse. And too many. If you look up the lyrics and see them written out it looks like a stip post.

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2024 1:43 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

The amount of love this song is getting is baffling to me.
It's not a good song at all.
I skip it every single time.
But that's just me, no one has to agree.

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2024 1:56 pm 
The worst

I think cringe is one of the words in the English language I hate the most, and it's mostly RM's fault from the 'cringe-worthy' era of posting.

Other than not really knowing what to make of the central image in the song (superblood wolfmoon) and the stunner line these are pretty great lyrics. It's an exploration of feeling like the world (or your ability to understand and control it) is rapidly spiraling away from you (it seems to be framed through a death, but it's bigger than that), feeling righteously indignant about it, and committing to holding on and pushing through. It's the central message of Gigaton, and most of Pearl Jam's catalog.

And there are some killer moments

"I don't know anything, I question everything. This life I love is going way too fast."

"But the world kept on spinning, always felt like it was ending. And love notwithstanding we are each of us fucked."

Quite possibly my second and third favorite lyrics on Gigaton.

And as a great lyric (not necessarily poetry, but in the ramshackle rush of the song and delivery)

"Focus on your focusness, don't allow for hopelessness. I've been hoping that our hope does last." Yes, focusness is not an OED word, but it absolutely works in the song.

Eddie sings a lot of words. Words are not to be feared, people. This song has a lot to say. Its superficial simplicity is misleading. And it's a catchy, tumbling melody, with a killer bridge and the feeling of free fall in the outro. Great stuff.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2024 2:40 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2024 2:57 pm 
The worst

Don't make me double it!

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2024 3:27 pm 

stip wrote:
Don't make me double it!

Your post above has 260 words. SBWM has 338. I stand corrected

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2024 7:13 pm 
She / Her

stip wrote:
I think cringe is one of the words in the English language I hate the most, and it's mostly RM's fault from the 'cringe-worthy' era of posting.

Other than not really knowing what to make of the central image in the song (superblood wolfmoon) and the stunner line these are pretty great lyrics. It's an exploration of feeling like the world (or your ability to understand and control it) is rapidly spiraling away from you (it seems to be framed through a death, but it's bigger than that), feeling righteously indignant about it, and committing to holding on and pushing through. It's the central message of Gigaton, and most of Pearl Jam's catalog.

And there are some killer moments

"I don't know anything, I question everything. This life I love is going way too fast."

"But the world kept on spinning, always felt like it was ending. And love notwithstanding we are each of us fucked."

Quite possibly my second and third favorite lyrics on Gigaton.

And as a great lyric (not necessarily poetry, but in the ramshackle rush of the song and delivery)

"Focus on your focusness, don't allow for hopelessness. I've been hoping that our hope does last." Yes, focusness is not an OED word, but it absolutely works in the song.

Eddie sings a lot of words. Words are not to be feared, people. This song has a lot to say. Its superficial simplicity is misleading. And it's a catchy, tumbling melody, with a killer bridge and the feeling of free fall in the outro. Great stuff.

the Superblood Wolf Moon (like lunar cycles in general) is meant to have certain magical effects on people, and on magical workings; I can't remember what in particular those are, but at least in the context of this song, I'd imagine that they're negative and this superblood wolf moon destroyed a relationship; so think of it as Mercury Retrograde in Astrology... all bad news, stirred anger, chaotic relationships etc.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 6:28 pm 
Future Drummer

I can't find the right way to word it but I feel like Eddie's focus on naming songs things like Superblood Wolfmoon and Dark Matter is one of the biggest elements of them seeming kinda like aging slightly less than cool rock stars, or maybe it just somehow underlines it, I honestly don't know!

In any case this song may have good lyrics (I will trust Stip on this) but I think this is a rare moment in their catalog where the song itself, the melody, the performance actually detracts from the lyrics. Usually its a good performance and delivery elevating decent lyrics, but this one the song really brings it down. It just sounds kind of corny whether it is or not.

I do love the solo and especially the part coming out of the solo though, and I think the song works really well in the context of the album

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 8:19 pm 
The Master

If this had like 30-40 percent fewer words it would be a 4 star song.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 8:30 pm 
The Master

this song is great. The structure is great. It just kind of storms around the racetrack over and over again. The guitar interplay is nice and they cant capture it live because it seems that Ed played all the rhythm parts and he has a particular right hand.

F the haters!!!!

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 8:36 pm 
Rank This Poster

mikejasond wrote:
I can't find the right way to word it but I feel like Eddie's focus on naming songs things like Superblood Wolfmoon and Dark Matter is one of the biggest elements of them seeming kinda like aging slightly less than cool rock stars, or maybe it just somehow underlines it, I honestly don't know!

In any case this song may have good lyrics (I will trust Stip on this) but I think this is a rare moment in their catalog where the song itself, the melody, the performance actually detracts from the lyrics. Usually its a good performance and delivery elevating decent lyrics, but this one the song really brings it down. It just sounds kind of corny whether it is or not.

I do love the solo and especially the part coming out of the solo though, and I think the song works really well in the context of the album

I think I agree with all of this.

The music is just too clean. If it had like 10% of comatose’s energy or dissonance it would elevate a lot more. It still reminds me of a backing track for some shenanigans happening in a 2000’s teen movie.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 8:49 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
this song is great. The structure is great. It just kind of storms around the racetrack over and over again.

Perfect image.

PostPosted: Wed February 21, 2024 12:41 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

DotC is the better song, but I listen to this one more often.

PostPosted: Wed February 21, 2024 12:46 am 

Why

PostPosted: Wed February 21, 2024 1:28 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Because I like to.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:28 am 
Rank This Poster

Just gotta let yourself settle in for the long haul when this one starts.

PostPosted: Fri March 01, 2024 10:30 am 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
DotC is the better song, but I listen to this one more often.

Maybe SBWM is actually the better song... I also listen to this one more and most of the time enjoy it more

I love the playfulness and ramshackle quality of this one. I think Pearl Jam should lean into this side way more. It suits them well in their current era.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2024 12:27 am 
A Return To Form

I like coming back to this song. One of my faves from Gigaton. After listening to it many since its release I have gotten used to how Ed sings the word “distance”.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam