The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: "I Fell In the Pit": The Synergy/Pit/Porch Thread
PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 1:17 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

All Those Eskimos

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 1:24 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Nothing As Inuit Seems

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 3:05 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Whale song

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 3:42 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Sweet Iglew

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 3:43 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

why go snow

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 6:52 am 
mXn

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Save Yukon

Dammit I workshopped Yukon and somehow missed this

What can I say. The aurora borealis shines on a sled dog’s ass every once in a while.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 11:24 pm 
Poster of the Year

dimejinky99 wrote:
Whale song

dime wins

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 2:47 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Simple Torture wrote:
Tomorrows the 10th

PostPosted: Tue December 13, 2022 1:24 pm 
known prankster

Spoiler: show
So I know that my pearl jam stories are going to seem trite if I keep writing about crazy things that happen to me during them…but last night was no different and again…I’ve been telling this story to too many people individually that I felt it warranted one of these emails…….I’m not going to go into my history about my love of pearl jam in this email….I will only say that Eddie Vedder is the real reason I love pearl jam…..so to be able to see him perform in an intimate setting at a solo show was a real dream of mine……even if I had to sit 30 rows away from him (but I didn’t…even though that’s where my tickets told me I would sit)…..so when I first found out Eddie was performing a live show 2 nights in Manhattan I knew I wanted to see both shows but I also knew that tickets through the fan club would sell so quick that I rounded up my best and brightest online ticket buddies to help me get onto the ticket-selling website despite the crazy traffic that I have seen over the years….Pearl jam releases a limited number of tickets on their fan site and since they are not geared up for all that traffic….it can be a frustrating experience of pages not loading….pages telling you that you have tickets when you really don’t….etc.………the 2 people that have always come through for me to get me tickets regardless of how many people were trying were my friend Brian…aka “banik”….and believe it or not…an old student of mine who has recently graduated…named Andrew Wotman…..the reason I ever needed to look to them for help is because tickets usually go on sale during the day…while I am at school…..and my school has a filter that blocks my ability to buy tickets on their computers…..so to make a long story short…I usually bother banik and make him take 30 minutes out of his work day to get me these tickets……when I told him when they were going on sale he told me he had a meeting so I went to my next best source (who is actually better than banik)…..my old student….Andrew Wotman…….with the kind of promise you’d expect from a flaky celebrity….Wotman guaranteed me that if I gave him my credit card and name and password for the fan club (the place where pearl jam releases the first set of tickets….the best tickets)…..he would get me tickets……but this was a conditional promise…..I HAD to take him to the show if he got them for me……..of course I said yes thinking I would just go back on my word once he got me the tickets…..whatever…he’s just a college kid….who probably doesn’t trust adults anyway…..why should I be any different……so after promising him with my fingers crossed I gave him my name and password and let him do the dirty work…….and…..what normally takes banik 30 minutes of torturous refreshing of the webpage and constant clicking took Andrew Wotman less than a minute………tickets went on sale at 12:00 noon….and at 12:01 he had secured 2 tickets to the first night of Eddie Vedder at United Palace Theater…..I was beside myself…..tickets to this show were given out to fan clubs first on a random basis…..so I had no idea where the seats were going to be until show time…..but I was confident that we would have good seats…..b/c Andrew is just good luck…..I decided to take Andrew…..I actually was always going to take Andrew...it just sounded better if I pretended he wasn’t going…..something I used to tease him about as well……Andrew is actually one of those cool musician type of kids….not the band geeks….sorry beth!....but he writes his own music…plays every instrument….released his own album….and will one day be a famous rockstar…...I was also able to get Andrew’s dad and brother 2 extra seats so what turned out to be a teacher going with an old student….turned out to be a teacher going with an old student and his family………we had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants beforehand “sushi of gari”…….and headed up to Washington heights to enjoy the rest of the night!

We get to the show and the parking was atrocious but we were able to get a spot a few blocks away in what Andrew’s dad described as a move that warranted me the title of “the man.”…..it truly was a great move that can’t really be explained in words….just know that I had to back up on a one way street the wrong way and squeeze into a spot that I had no business squeezing into….all of this….without a backup camera!!…..anyway…..we get to the theater and find out my tickets were ROW M…..now that seems not so bad considering M is the 13th letter of the alphabet….but the first row was AA and it went all the way back to OO and started at A right after that….so I was almost 30 rows back….behind the lighting people and the sound booth…..needless to say these weren’t the best seats….but content I was because it was just Eddie…….with time to kill and empty seats to gaze at in front of us…….Andrew promised me that we would not be sitting in our seats and would be able to move up closer…..we decided to check out these closer seats during the opening act since most people had not showed up yet…….we were in row GG when Andrew hits me….jumps over me (I was in the aisle…he was one next to me)…..and pulls me out of my seat and screams “there’s Eddie”…….I am usually the one with the eyes to spot that….but it was Andrew……I than saw Eddie peaking in on the side of the theater behind a curtain that was also blocked by a security guard…..it was basically eddies way to watch the opening act without any fans seeing him…..so he thought…..this is why going with a college student is so nice….no inhibition……Andrew goes up to the security guard and tells him he just wants to say hi to Eddie…..Eddie…in a very reserved manner…peaks out from behind the curtain and the guard and looks at us……I said…”hi Eddie I am and have been a huge fan for a while”…he thanked me……..I put out my hand to shake it and he put his right out and we touched for 3 seconds…..in the most heterosexual way possible…..even though while shaking I looked into his deep blue eyes and felt something…..even for just the moment that I have never felt before…..haha….kidding…..it was a very nice hand shake from someone that has taken me musically to places that nobody has ever been able to…..my friend says “Eddie do you have any guitar pick for us?”…..Eddie actually spent about 30 seconds reaching in his pockets and genuinely looking for one…..until he realized he had none…..he said….”I’ll get some later and give it to the guard to give to you”……thinking he was full of shit we agreed to move away as to not draw attention to that area…..and we were both in a state of shock and awe…..about 5 minutes later…while still on a crazy high just from shaking the hand of a man…..”the man”…..we notice Eddie leave….we were bummed because we felt that all chances of us talking more to him had vanished…after about 2 minutes I saw a light shine from the back of the stage where Eddie had gone…..it was his crystal blue eyes that I had gazed into earlier that day…..haha….no…..but I did see Eddie walk back and he seemed to be looking for us…….he went and handed the guard 2 guitar picks…..we rushed back over there and he gave us the 2 picks…..we thanked Eddie and again respected his desire to be left alone and we went back to our shitty seats…..I could not stop staring at the white pick with the letters EV inscribed on it….I was happy if the night ended there and I was ready to sit in my seats and watch the show….until Andrew….the uninhibited, shorty, scrawny white college student goes back to the big, black, muscular guard and says “I will make it very worth your while….financially….if you let us back stage”…….the only other friend of mine to have the balls to do that lives all the way in LA and therefore would never be able to go to a show with me…..Andrew comes back and tells me that the guard agreed to his plan…..he said that when the lights go out and Eddie walks onto the stage and everybody’s eyes are on Eddie…..we should go up to the guard….surreptitiously hand him the money and walk in a certain door and make a left and pretend that we belong there…….Andrew asks me for 20 bucks which I gladly give him……he puts 60 bucks together in a wad and gets ready for this scheme that had me shaking for 20 minutes…I was thinking that the security guard would take our money…let us in….and the door would lead us to the outside where his friends would be waiting for us with bats to kick our asses…take our money and leave us to die…….Andrew was an optimist though….wow it’s good to be young!...he said to me “I’m telling you we will be backstage the whole show”….thinking that I would rather see the show from the front I said “are you sure we should do this.”…..he said….”you don’t understand….we will be right on the side of the stage watching…it will be like we are with Eddie on stage”……now I have to say that Andrew is a musician….a very talented one at that…..so talented in fact that a band that opened for “LIVE”…another band I like…..asked Andrew to replace their guitarist for a few shows……and Andrew opened for “live” and played at the tweeter center in front of 25000 screaming fans…..so I kind of trusted him!......anyway….the lights dim….Eddie comes on……and before you know it we were being waved into the side of the stage just as Andrew had told me we would……it was surreal……..we wound up getting on the stage on the left side next to the guys that put the curtain up and down…..and for 2 hours of Eddie performing some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard live…..I was standing about 15 feet from Eddie……if I walked 2 feet forward….the whole theater would have seen me…..but it was another dream fulfilled….only this dream I never even hoped for….this dream never even crossed my mind……one notable part of the show was when Eddie forgot the beginning words of one of his songs…..he looked directly at me….with a confused look on his face like he had the words on the tip of his tongue but couldn’t quite grasp them…..I looked back at him and said with the kind of encouragement a little league coach says to the worst player on the team…. “Eddie…you can do it”….and just like that the words came to him…..haha…obviously that didn’t happen…..I mean he did forget the words….he did look in my direction…..but just than…..he recalled the words and busted into “I used to work in Chicago.”......thinking that the show would be enough of a high for me……the show ended and we decided to head down to the catering area before the people backstage notice we weren’t wearing those VIP stickers that the rest of the people back there were wearing…..so for about 1 minute we were the only ones in the room with wine, beer, cheese, fruit, water, soda, crackers and couches…..I said “lets sit on the couch and talk like we are supposed to be here”….we do just that and within a minute an entourage of celebs and special guests walk in…..celebs like Mary Kate Olsen (Full Houuuusseee!!!), Paul Rudd (cluelesssss), Judd Apatow (producer of 40 year old virgin, superbad, knocked up, etc), Catherine Keener (from Into the wild) and a few other beautiful people who I couldn’t name but certainly recognized……on a side note…..Beth used to be bizarrely in love with the Olsen twins and the show “full house.”……so I figured that as much as I would love to meet Eddie Vedder….Beth would love to see a picture of me and Mary Kate….so…..after downing a beer in less than 2 minutes…..I walked over to her….waited for her to finish her line of coke and offered to light her cigarette and said to her “my wife is a huge fan of yours and it has been a dream of hers to have a 4-way with you, your sister, me and her…any chance you can come back with me after the party”……she’s like “well….let me try you out first and if your as good as you look like you will be…than I’ll round up Ashley and we’ll go back to your place”…….haha….imagine that!!…k…but I really did walk over to her….she didn’t do any coke although she looked like she had done some….and I did say to her, “my wife is a huge fan of yours and she would love if I could get a picture with you….would you mind a quick picture”….she gave me a look as if I said the first thing I pretended to say…but finally agreed……I put my arm around her……Wotman took my phone and snapped a picture and I said to her, “thank you so much….I know you didn’t come here for this but I do appreciate it.”….I also said…..how did you let heath die!!!.....haha…obviously I didn’t say that although it appears that she was some what a part of heath ledger’s drug addiction…..anyway……I sent Beth the pic from the phone (thank god I have the curve and not the world edition….great investment!!)……..stayed around for a little more and realized that Eddie might not be coming down…..but finally our luck changed…..as the room started to clear out….another security guard came up to Andrew and said “where is your pass”…..after making up some crazy excuse the guard told us we had to leave………totally content I said “no problem….thanks for the night…I couldn’t be any happier”

We walked out where Andrews dad and brother were furious for having to wait alone since I had the car keys…….we got in the car……and we told the Wotman family the story……went home…..got in bed and realized that I was going to see the show the next night……..and while it probably won’t be as eventful and probably wont’ be as memorable…..it will be nice to relax and just enjoy watching and listening to my new friend sing to me as he has done for the past 15 years……and I’ll wonder who I would have been able to meet and see if I did it again…..but anyway….thanks again for reading……this was truly a special night and I should say thank you to Andrew for your inhibition…..your guts……your promise to get me backstage……..your ability to get tickets in less than a minute…..and for not doubting that this adult stayed true to his word and took you to a show that a bunch of people begged me to go to…..and because I took YOU….it turned out to be a night I will never forget……who would have thought an old high school student and current college student could have made my night such a special one……and the truth is……even though I was called “the man” by your dad for my parking ability……even though I called eddie “ the man” for being so cool to talk to us and get us the pick…....andrew…..YOU were “the man” of this night…..i will never forget it!

PostPosted: Tue December 13, 2022 6:01 pm 
Major Dude

Haven’t we heard that story before?

PostPosted: Tue December 13, 2022 6:03 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

No...haha...kidding

PostPosted: Tue December 13, 2022 6:16 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
Haven’t we heard that story before?

I don't know. It's absolutely unreadable, but so is everything that is posted on the Pit.

PostPosted: Tue December 13, 2022 7:35 pm 
Future Drummer

I guess it's like tradition. Every year you sit in front of the fire and read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" to the family...

then when they go to bed, you whip out your tablet, and read the above epic clusterf*ck with a mug of hot cocoa.

PostPosted: Tue December 13, 2022 8:30 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

God, I really tried, but I can't finish it. What's the point of the story?

PostPosted: Tue December 13, 2022 9:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
God, I really tried, but I can't finish it. What's the point of the story?

You mean the story that I had to moderate because the poster who posted it was obnoxious? Who cares what the point is. Obnoxious poster gonna obnoxious.

PostPosted: Tue December 13, 2022 9:32 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Oh, I thought that was a copy and paste from the Pit, and that lls spoilered it to save us from having to look at it.

I'm starting to remember some details about our friend here.

PostPosted: Tue December 13, 2022 9:39 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

... and I've read enough to know that you should be nice to lecherouslittlestump. He's friends with the guy who produced Earthing. That dude's gonna produce the next Pearl Jam album.

PostPosted: Tue December 13, 2022 9:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
... and I've read enough to know that you should be nice to lecherouslittlestump. He's friends with the guy who produced Earthing. That dude's gonna produce the next Pearl Jam album.

:lol:

He's lucky I sent him a warning instead of banning him!

PostPosted: Tue January 10, 2023 4:44 pm 

Today is the 10th.

PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2023 4:14 pm 

Tomorrow is the 10th.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam