The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

How Many Bags of Dicks Can Get Right Suck?
5 Stars: Zero bags of dicks 20%  20%  [ 12 ]
4 Stars: The occasional bag of dicks, but only when drunk 32%  32%  [ 19 ]
3 Stars: Has been known to suck a bag or two 27%  27%  [ 16 ]
2 Stars: Sucks a bag of dicks quite often 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
1 Star: Is sucking one rightnow 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 59
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Get Right
PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 3:54 pm 
tl;dr

lvc wrote:
Get Right is great as a studio track because of the almost magical excellence of the engineering of the entire Riot Act album. It sounds like sitting in the room while the band just plays. Every instrument is perfectly mic'ed and the final mix is no-bullshit and impeccably balanced. The drums and bass are out front in the verse like they should be, Mike McCready drops in a really fun solo and keeps riffing through the outro so the song finishes with more detail than it starts. So the song has a movement and structure, at least plenty for a sub 3:00 blitz.

They lyrics are objectively dumb.

Get Right suffers as a bootleg recording because the drums and bass -- the intended heart of the song -- aren't mixed more prominently. Probably an unfortunate by-product of releasing every show, I suspect the instrument levels are all pretty much set in a template and not much adjusted. So a song like Get Right endw up sounding a little heartless until Mike starts his thing. I mean, the entire verse, guitar-wise, is pretty much Stone playing one note to a rhythm. But he's further forward in the mix template so there you have it. And Mike never quite gets the solo timing right because the Riot Act studio process was designed to capture lightning in a bottle and they never played the song enough for him recapture that moment of inspiration from the studio.

The lyrics remain objectively dumb.

Great comparison between the studio and live versions -- you definitely put your finger on something I've always felt about the live versions of this song (which I very much enjoy), but never really took the time to analyze. Additionally, there are a few minor details that make the studio version feel tighter --- the backing vocals in the chorus, the way Eddie actually hard-stops the phrase "wanted to get right," as opposed to wrapping it into the next line, and fully articulates "with you" instead of adding that weird stutter ("wi-hith you" -- something that always felt like a choice, rather than the corrective measure it would become in later years).

When Riot Act came out in 2002, I was about a year or so into really discovering "indie rock" for the first time -- bands like the Dismemberment Plan, Built to Spill, Death Cab, etc., stuff that had been all over Pitchfork in the previous few years. I remember hearing songs like "Get Right" and "Green Disease" and feeling like musically they were so close in spirit to that stuff -- the way Stone hangs on that one note, set against that steady pulsing drum/bass part, in a way that feels kind of mechanical and deliberately cold before moving into a simple, catchy chorus, always felt very Dismemberment Plan-ish to me (thinking of a song like "Gyroscope" here). I remember this being the first time I was really struck by how differently certain groups of people thought about bands like Pearl Jam, simply because they were the band they were with the public profile they had, as opposed to what they were actually doing musically.

So much fondness for this song, and this whole era of the band. I'm glad it was so exhaustively documented.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Mon March 25, 2024 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 3:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

not sure if i ever listened to Get Right live, i dont remember

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 3:59 pm 
tl;dr

VinylGuy wrote:
not sure if i ever listened to Get Right live, i dont remember

The Japan version posted by Ruddo has a great feel, as all the Japan performances do. There are some tighter performances from later in the tour -- Kansas City, MSG 2, Hershey.

Looks like RM picked the Uniondale version for its "definitive live" project -- pretty great IMO.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 4:02 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

oh yeah, i listened to those japan boots, my favs from that tour

i remember now yeah

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 4:16 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I wish the band would put out a DVD of those Japan shows

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 4:23 pm 
The Master

I'll always be partial to this one. My first PJ show.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 4:24 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Rub it in why don't you!

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 4:27 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I wish the band would put out a DVD of those Japan shows

there is a proshot of Tokyo, one of my favs shows from them. Pretty cool stuff.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 4:29 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Rub it in why don't you!

I wish I would have savored it more considering I wouldn't hear it again until the 2024 Baltimore show.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 4:30 pm 
tl;dr

Monkey_Driven wrote:

This is a great show. I went to two shows on the Riot Act tour -- Champaign and Chicago -- but unfortunately didn't get "Get Right" at either one. I'd love to hear them break this one out on the upcoming tour; I think Eddie could still pull it off pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 8:46 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Kevin Davis wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

This is a great show. I went to two shows on the Riot Act tour -- Champaign and Chicago -- but unfortunately didn't get "Get Right" at either one. I'd love to hear them break this one out on the upcoming tour; I think Eddie could still pull it off pretty well.

Champaign was my first ever PJ show so it'll always be special to me...really cool venue and fun setlist and show. I saw Get Right live later in the tour (maybe NYC?) and something was definitely off. Like it more on the album.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 9:03 pm 
tl;dr

Homeboyd wrote:
Champaign was my first ever PJ show so it'll always be special to me...really cool venue and fun setlist and show.

That's awesome! It was my second, so it's special to me too (though I suppose they all are, in their way). It takes a lot for me to rate a show based on energy, but man was the intensity level in that room ever off the charts. Holds up pretty well on the recording too. Are you from the area, or were you traveling for a longer stretch of shows?

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 9:35 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Kevin Davis wrote:
Homeboyd wrote:
Champaign was my first ever PJ show so it'll always be special to me...really cool venue and fun setlist and show.

That's awesome! It was my second, so it's special to me too (though I suppose they all are, in their way). It takes a lot for me to rate a show based on energy, but man was the intensity level in that room ever off the charts. Holds up pretty well on the recording too. Are you from the area, or were you traveling for a longer stretch of shows?

I lived in Chicago at the time...my second show was State College which was near where I grew up so let's just say at that point I was hooked lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam