The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 370  Next

What sound will be prominent on this album?
Heavy 29%  29%  [ 18 ]
Spritzy punk 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Dad rock 43%  43%  [ 27 ]
Return to form 24%  24%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 63
 Post subject: Re: 12th album rumors and speculation
PostPosted: Wed March 23, 2022 3:59 pm 
The Master

My completely uninformed impression of Stone:

Rich kid who wanted to be a rock star. Smoked a ton of weed, was super sarcastic, became a rock star, had a big ego. Realized his success was contingent on being a WMA, the son of wealthy parents, and Ed's vocal talents.

Roskilde, post-grunge cultural hangover, plus general trials and tribulations of aging and collective wokeness, made him become self-aware and humble. Now he devotes much of his time to non-profit/social impact work, and seems really humble and grateful for everything he has.

I think he's probably a great dude. I also think he's 100% a different person than he was in 1992.

PostPosted: Wed March 23, 2022 4:23 pm 
tl;dr

Ms Harmless wrote:
I worry that Stone's gushing about Ed's talents is as much (perhaps more) to do with how easily he seems to defer to people he highly respects, as it is about actually liking him as a person; I don't think it contradicts any suspicions of conflict between them

I think they've always had a yin-to-each-other's-yang type relationship, and probably still do; in a professional setting Stone still seems like the only guy who might be stubborn enough to really give Ed pushback on things, but as they all find more creative outlets beyond just PJ, I'd guess there is probably just way less pressure to fight to push any given idea through. Couple that with a desire to preserve and keep positive this great thing that has managed to survive 30 years without falling apart, and I'd imagine there are probably a lot of ideas that once would have been these tense yet fruitful creative exercises that just get dropped as soon as someone says they're not feeling it. Conversely, there are probably also a handful of things that aren't subject to the degree of scrutiny they once would have been, simply because they're all prioritizing the overall health of the enterprise over any given creative decision.

At the very least, Gigaton seems to prove that they can still find compelling things within that framework, even if that framework does still seem to favor Ed somewhat disproportionately. I hope they can keep the momentum, and join you in hoping that any future work incorporates everyone's creative voice a little more than Gigaton did (if that's what you're saying).

PostPosted: Wed March 23, 2022 4:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

Chris_H_2 wrote:

Love this one.

PostPosted: Wed March 23, 2022 5:34 pm 
She / Her

Kevin Davis wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I worry that Stone's gushing about Ed's talents is as much (perhaps more) to do with how easily he seems to defer to people he highly respects, as it is about actually liking him as a person; I don't think it contradicts any suspicions of conflict between them

I think they've always had a yin-to-each-other's-yang type relationship, and probably still do; in a professional setting Stone still seems like the only guy who might be stubborn enough to really give Ed pushback on things, but as they all find more creative outlets beyond just PJ, I'd guess there is probably just way less pressure to fight to push any given idea through. Couple that with a desire to preserve and keep positive this great thing that has managed to survive 30 years without falling apart, and I'd imagine there are probably a lot of ideas that once would have been these tense yet fruitful creative exercises that just get dropped as soon as someone says they're not feeling it. Conversely, there are probably also a handful of things that aren't subject to the degree of scrutiny they once would have been, simply because they're all prioritizing the overall health of the enterprise over any given creative decision.

At the very least, Gigaton seems to prove that they can still find compelling things within that framework, even if that framework does still seem to favor Ed somewhat disproportionately. I hope they can keep the momentum, and join you in hoping that any future work incorporates everyone's creative voice a little more than Gigaton did (if that's what you're saying).

good post

I wasn't necessarily unhappy with Gigaton in terms of hearing everyone's influence; I think it was a step in the right direction, but do hope they keep it up (and I really hope Watt, as a "superfan", will go out of his way to make sure that everyone's creative voice is there)

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 3:26 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

tragabigzanda wrote:

Rich kid who wanted to be a rock star. Smoked a ton of weed, was super sarcastic, became a rock star, had a big ego. Realized his success was contingent on being a WMA, the son of wealthy parents, and Ed's vocal talents.

Roskilde, post-grunge cultural hangover, plus general trials and tribulations of aging and collective wokeness, made him become self-aware and humble. Now he devotes much of his time to non-profit/social impact work, and seems really humble and grateful for everything he has.

I think he's probably a great dude. I also think he's 100% a different person than he was in 1992.

My impression isn't terribly far from this. I've done alot of reading of the Seattle scene and he was sort of part of this other ragtag group - away from Mark Arm and Duff McKagen and Kurt and those guys and was very much an Andy Wood guy. Jeff wasn't super happy in MLB, but Stone sure was and was somewhat begrudging in acquiescing to getting Ed. I think the Ed-Jeff connection is the driving relationship of the band, they had a deep connection. Them pulling back post Vs I have to think was super disappointing for him. I personally always sensed he wasn't on the ride we were all on during those middle years - No Code through Riot Act. I also agree he didn't look as happy on stage w PJ as he did with his other bands. But I think theyre lasting success has made him come around. I think he now finally gets the die-hard, Ten Club, deep cut, b-side, setlist changing aspect that is really Ed and Jeff's vision of the band. He seems to get it now. Now with Ed I've always just sensed a major communication gap, it sometimes seems they barely communicate. But it also seems like they do have genuine respect too. I've been seeing them all comment on the Beatles Get back recently. That's actually been pleasantly refreshing. Because that film really gets to how collaborative the Beatles were. Great individually, but the magic was in the collaboration. It was special and innate and no one did that better than them. It's really cool for our guys to see and comment on that and maybe see them take that sort of approach in the future.

In no universe should a band of 5 dudes stay together in a healthy situation like this. 5 guys usually can't order a pizza. No breakups, contract disputes, money tension, public trash talking to each other, mostly clean from drugs, deaths, etc. IMO no stinker albums in the bunch. Some different in style and intent, but I've followed other bands and have seen some true clunkers and i don't see one among theirs. To actually look forward to an album 30+ years in is special as a fan. Enjoy it guys. It is special and it won't last forever.

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 9:11 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Tuolumne wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

My impression isn't terribly far from this. I've done alot of reading of the Seattle scene and he was sort of part of this other ragtag group - away from Mark Arm and Duff McKagen and Kurt and those guys and was very much an Andy Wood guy. Jeff wasn't super happy in MLB, but Stone sure was and was somewhat begrudging in acquiescing to getting Ed. I think the Ed-Jeff connection is the driving relationship of the band, they had a deep connection. Them pulling back post Vs I have to think was super disappointing for him. I personally always sensed he wasn't on the ride we were all on during those middle years - No Code through Riot Act. I also agree he didn't look as happy on stage w PJ as he did with his other bands. But I think theyre lasting success has made him come around. I think he now finally gets the die-hard, Ten Club, deep cut, b-side, setlist changing aspect that is really Ed and Jeff's vision of the band. He seems to get it now. Now with Ed I've always just sensed a major communication gap, it sometimes seems they barely communicate. But it also seems like they do have genuine respect too. I've been seeing them all comment on the Beatles Get back recently. That's actually been pleasantly refreshing. Because that film really gets to how collaborative the Beatles were. Great individually, but the magic was in the collaboration. It was special and innate and no one did that better than them. It's really cool for our guys to see and comment on that and maybe see them take that sort of approach in the future.

In no universe should a band of 5 dudes stay together in a healthy situation like this. 5 guys usually can't order a pizza. No breakups, contract disputes, money tension, public trash talking to each other, mostly clean from drugs, deaths, etc. IMO no stinker albums in the bunch. Some different in style and intent, but I've followed other bands and have seen some true clunkers and i don't see one among theirs. To actually look forward to an album 30+ years in is special as a fan. Enjoy it guys. It is special and it won't last forever.

Part of this seems an odd take. Stone has been friends with both Duff and Mark, and Kurt always seemed to be on the outside of the Seattle music community at the time, being from Aberdeen. Don't get the comment about Jeff and MLB, why shouldn't he have been happy there? Wasn't Jeff an Andy Wood guy? Chris Cornell loved Andy Wood, as did a large part of the community at the time.

Stone made Pearl Jam, first he invited Mike in, then later he and Mike got Jeff in. Stone wrote most of Ten. There would be no Pearl Jam without Stone.

Clearly Ed had some issues in the 90s (not strange really, he had moved towns, gotten insanely famous and rich and successful, had the front man stigma on him, had deranged fans after him). And I think the comment Ed joked about in Single Video Theory, that Stone was the problem, too many took literally. When in fact, he clearly meant the opposite. Stone's cool head kept the band alive in difficult times.

I think Stone's always been happy in the band, he has also made the best side band or solo music of the group.

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 11:53 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

I thought it was Stone who was very enthusiastic on receiving Ed's demo tape - and Jeff who wasn't at all convinced.

I was curious about Stone's family background, I knew his father was a Seattle lawyer and that was about it; anyway, I found his dad (David Gossard) died in 2020, here's a public obituary:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/se ... d=13196856

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 12:36 pm 
The Master

Nice find, thanks Spenno

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 1:28 pm 
Major Dude

That obit reads like it could be bammer’s.

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 1:33 pm 
mXn

wease wrote:

Jesus christ wease how do you figure?

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 1:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

Quote:
His favorite band was Pearl Jam, even though he never really listened to them...

:D that was good

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 1:39 pm 
Major Dude

Bammer wrote:
wease wrote:

Jesus christ wease how do you figure?

“ David practiced law in Seattle for almost his entire career. He and Carolyn refused to live anywhere other than Capitol Hill and they had to have a view. He loved to be the center of attention and later in his life when he and Carolyn traveled he only wanted to go if he could be catered to and pampered. He loved the Huskies, the Mariners, the Seahawks, and the Super Sonics. His favorite band was Pearl Jam, even though he never really listened to them...”

Just replace David with bammer.

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 3:00 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

these guys are really good at keeping all the inside stuff of the band hidden from the media. They were always really good at it.

Stone and Ed will always be a matter of analysis for us, mainly because we dont have enough information there...we know that Stone is the guy who picks on Ed´s ideas, he told it. His nemesis i think he said? I love Stone in 1998 writing a song like No Way.

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 5:08 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Birds in Hell wrote:
I thought it was Stone who was very enthusiastic on receiving Ed's demo tape - and Jeff who wasn't at all convinced.

I was curious about Stone's family background, I knew his father was a Seattle lawyer and that was about it; anyway, I found his dad (David Gossard) died in 2020, here's a public obituary:

Is that obit saying that Stone's middle name is Vivien?

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 5:16 pm 
The Master

igotworms wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

That's his wife.

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 5:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

You guys are really weird.

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 5:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Well. Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone.

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 5:59 pm 
She / Her

*bow chica-wow*

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 11:12 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Monkey_Driven wrote:
igotworms wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

That's his wife.

Ah right. Weird format. I was genuinely quite fascinated by the idea that someone who named their son Stone could also name them Vivien at the same time. Plus I love The Young Ones.

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 11:24 pm 
AnalLog

igotworms wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
igotworms wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

That's his wife.

Ah right. Weird format. I was genuinely quite fascinated by the idea that someone who named their son Stone could also name them Vivien at the same time. Plus I love The Young Ones.

That's standard format for just about any English language obituary I've read.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 370  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam