The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Seattle Surf Company
PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 1:32 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

surfndestroy wrote:
B wrote:
Google travel coffee mug ... there are plenty of mugs over $20. I'm not saying I'd pay that, but how far is it from "I need a new OXO coffee mug w/ rubber grips" to "I need a new coffee mug, maybe I'll get one w/ my favorite rock band's logo"?

I've yet to buy any of this merchandise, but with the exception of the dog collars, which still blow my mind, this stuff is hardly out of the realm of the super fan with disposable income.
But when Ed's being a capitalistic whore (which is fine), is it supposed to pass as irony that his art is a rip-off of iconic logo? I ask that as a serious question. I'm not baffled by his selling crap but by the choice of artwork.

I always saw the logo appropriation as more of a pop art thing and a play on words.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 1:34 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

surfndestroy wrote:
B wrote:
Google travel coffee mug ... there are plenty of mugs over $20. I'm not saying I'd pay that, but how far is it from "I need a new OXO coffee mug w/ rubber grips" to "I need a new coffee mug, maybe I'll get one w/ my favorite rock band's logo"?

I've yet to buy any of this merchandise, but with the exception of the dog collars, which still blow my mind, this stuff is hardly out of the realm of the super fan with disposable income.
But when Ed's being a capitalistic whore (which is fine), is it supposed to pass as irony that his art is a rip-off of iconic logo? I ask that as a serious question. I'm not baffled by his selling crap but by the choice of artwork.

The question of the artwork is probably worthy of discussion, it could be ripping off an icon, it could be irony, it could be satire, or maybe someone just thought it looked cool and didn't put nearly as much thought into it as those of us who sit around arguing shit on the internet.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 2:01 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

what logo?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 2:06 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

surfndestroy wrote:
B wrote:

If it's supposed to be ironic, or some sort of punk/anti-establishment statement, it obviously doesn't work bc it doesn't go far enough... it leaves people wondering "why?". If it said something like "Starfucks", or had an image of Ed with dollar sign eyes, then sure. But it's too vague. Too safe. Too much in line with everything else they've done as a band for the past 5 years.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 2:19 am 
Commissioner

bodysnatcher wrote:
If it said something like "Starfucks", or had an image of Ed with dollar sign eyes, then sure.

It's moments like these when I want to post a video of Shaquille O'Neal yelling "Put that on a t-shirt!" and can't find one that I realize the sad limitations of the internet.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 3:16 am 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
B wrote:

The question of the artwork is probably worthy of discussion, it could be ripping off an icon, it could be irony, it could be satire, or maybe someone just thought it looked cool and didn't put nearly as much thought into it as those of us who sit around arguing shit on the internet.

Is it good artwork if people can't figure out the intent? And I'm baffled why the cup says Washington. Pearl Jam may be a Washington based corporation but is Ed?

A near 50 millionaire ripping of logos from Starbucks, Evil Kneveil and Corona just seems empty and somewhat pathetic to me. That said I think the use of iconic images on many of his posters to be much more clever and acceptable. So it may just be me, and that I like art and don't really like plastic cups.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 4:00 am 
The Master

Lament wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
If it said something like "Starfucks", or had an image of Ed with dollar sign eyes, then sure.

It's moments like these when I want to post a video of Shaquille O'Neal yelling "Put that on a t-shirt!" and can't find one that I realize the sad limitations of the internet.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 10:44 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Fuzzcharger wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Easily got for cost price if you go to lost dogs and stick up a post.
I'd give you one of these but both are special to me.
If you need help getting one let me know.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was trawling to get one of yours. Good idea about posting in lost dogs though, cheers.

Gosh that was quick. Got one for cost price within half an hour. Cheers Dime!

Ah cool. Glad I could help in some small way.
If you're ever looking for anything like that, lost dogs or the forum at pjcollectors.com is your best bet.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 2:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

B wrote:

considering you had 2 "supermen" fighting and the worldships, i think the destruction was warranted

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 5:14 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

The batman/who/evel knevel logos, I think that's just ed paying homage to his interests and influences. The Starbucks one I think is jut a bit tongue in cheek.

Wouldn't imagine there's much more to it than that.
Other than that all members of PJ are dog owners. Guess the dog collars are just an idea. Wonder if they have them? I know they all use the PJ socks.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 7:03 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

surfndestroy wrote:
Is it good artwork if people can't figure out the intent?

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 8:07 pm 
The worst

surfndestroy wrote:

it can be. It might just be a failure on the part of the audience.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 8:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
It might just be a failure on the part of the audience.

Which is what most of the stuff this thread is talking about is, at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 8:11 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

surfndestroy wrote:

This is going to be my new signature.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 8:24 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

One might also mention that Eddie's art is music (and maybe some painting). I highly doubt he considers this merchandise part of his art.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2013 8:58 pm 
Rank This Poster

B wrote:
One might also mention that Eddie's art is music (and maybe some painting). I highly doubt he considers this merchandise part of his art.

I would agree. My criticism isn't directed so much at the products themselves as it is towards the disconnect and overall laziness with the art direction. The product of Ed has always been the humble, personal, organic and introspective self. This goes all the way through ITW and Ukulele Songs. I always felt his attention to detail was quite high. This stuff is half assed and quite contradictory to a lot of what he has presented himself to be. Maybe he now wants to be the big corporate rock star. If that's what he wants then more power to him but I haven't seen him personally acknowledge that and in turn I'm seeing him more and more as disingenuous entrepreneur. I'm not saying he owes it to me to do that but when I have sat through rant on top of rant shitting on corporations, their shitty watered down products and artists that embraced mainstream I personally take issue when he silently starts to become all those things. I don't find anything quirky or poignant about most of these products.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam