The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Do any of you PJ naysayers...
PostPosted: Sun June 09, 2013 11:28 pm 
Posting (live)

MITS is top drawer. One of the best from the album. Awesome drumming and good work from Ed.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 12:33 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

LetMeSleep wrote:
MITS is top drawer. One of the best from the album. Awesome drumming and good work from Ed.

Agreed

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 12:35 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I didn't much care for the album version but the live versions of Marker from the 2006 tour were excellent. That instrumental bridge is great. It's a shame that it has virtually disappeared from their live repertoire (and that it wasn't captured more successfully in the studio.)

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 1:15 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

HardTI wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
HardTI wrote:
I hate Marker and Gone. Marker would have been salvageable if it had an extended jam in the middle, but is mostly cannot stand that song.

Are you saying "I hate Marker. I wish it was longer." ?

I think I'm agreeing with whoever said the verses are pearl jam by numbers. I like the breakdown in the middle and wish that was longer. That would turn it into a song I don't skip over.

*Edit - I just realized they said it was the chorus, not the verse. The chorus and that little jam I really do enjoy. The verses kill the song for me. I absolutely hate that main riff of the song.

Interesting. I feel the opposite. I like the verses a lot-- they're menacing, exciting, propulsive. Then the chorus comes along and it's just a soggy, sloppy misfire.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 3:25 am 
Poster of the Year

theplatypus wrote:
HardTI wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
HardTI wrote:
I hate Marker and Gone. Marker would have been salvageable if it had an extended jam in the middle, but is mostly cannot stand that song.

Are you saying "I hate Marker. I wish it was longer." ?

I think I'm agreeing with whoever said the verses are pearl jam by numbers. I like the breakdown in the middle and wish that was longer. That would turn it into a song I don't skip over.

*Edit - I just realized they said it was the chorus, not the verse. The chorus and that little jam I really do enjoy. The verses kill the song for me. I absolutely hate that main riff of the song.

Interesting. I feel the opposite. I like the verses a lot-- they're menacing, exciting, propulsive. Then the chorus comes along and it's just a soggy, sloppy misfire.

Yeah the verses are the best part.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 3:27 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

I like how the chorus has that different flow than the verses, it's kinda like the weird up and down flow of LBC.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 3:39 am 
tl;dr

"Marker" is one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs. I've never understood the objections to the chorus--I think it's fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 3:42 am 
tl;dr

WtOB? wrote:
I like how the chorus has that different flow than the verses, it's kinda like the weird up and down flow of LBC.

The verses are like you're free falling out of a plane, thrashing maniacally in the wind; the chorus is like the moment when your chute opens and you begin coasting smoothly to the ground in triumphant, major-key majesty.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 3:44 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

The verses are like you're free falling out of a plane, thrashing maniacally in the wind; the chorus is like the moment when your chute opens and you begin coasting smoothly to the ground in triumphant, major-key majesty.

:nice:

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 8:09 am 
A Return To Form

Birds in Hell wrote:
I didn't much care for the album version but the live versions of Marker from the 2006 tour were excellent. That instrumental bridge is great. It's a shame that it has virtually disappeared from their live repertoire (and that it wasn't captured more successfully in the studio.)

Def agree it's a song that is much more appealing live. I guess that's true for a lot of songs but if you made a chart of songs most improved by their best live versions, this would be higher than most.

And let's face it, SH and also Comatose (though I like it less) are tremendous live.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 12:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

yofismom wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Def agree it's a song that is much more appealing live. I guess that's true for a lot of songs but if you made a chart of songs most improved by their best live versions, this would be higher than most.

And let's face it, SH and also Comatose (though I like it less) are tremendous live.

Totally disagree with the both of you. MITS is better in the studio. Then again, the song wasn't played a lot live, so it's very possible I haven't heard the version(s) that you both think are better. Also, I'm in the camp where I prefer almost everything PJ does in the studio better than live versions.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 1:00 pm 

darth_vedder wrote:
yofismom wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Totally disagree with the both of you. MITS is better in the studio. Then again, the song wasn't played a lot live, so it's very possible I haven't heard the version(s) that you both think are better. Also, I'm in the camp where I prefer almost everything PJ does in the studio better than live versions.

I am too for the most part, but Marker is a definite exception. I thought they nailed it most nights in 2006, especially through the European leg (one example is on the Black Market Avocado compilation I put together, if you'll permit the self-promotion.)

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 1:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Birds in Hell wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
yofismom wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I am too for the most part, but Marker is a definite exception. I thought they nailed it most nights in 2006, especially through the European leg (one example is on the Black Market Avocado compilation I put together, if you'll permit the self-promotion.)

I have that! I'm gonna listen when I get home :)

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 2:06 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

So...I don't want to wait till I get home...What version of MITS is used on your Black Market mix? I'll look for it on the internets.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 2:16 pm 

darth_vedder wrote:
So...I don't want to wait till I get home...What version of MITS is used on your Black Market mix? I'll look for it on the internets.

Prague 2006.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 2:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

^Thanks!

I didn't see it on YouTube, but did get see this one. It's pretty good:

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 4:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

darth_vedder wrote:
yofismom wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I just wish the studio versions weren't so slow.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 4:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

i love everything about 'marker in the sand'. matt's drumming is the first thing that stands out. i love the riff. its def got a pearl jam feel to it, but not in a bad way like they are overly trying to sound like a pearl jam riff. the chrous is like a totally different song. its like the opposite of the frenzy of the verse, it confidently sores through the song. i also love the way they last verse comes out of the bridge. i'm not sure whats going on musically there, but it kinda gives me a boner. they only complaint i could have is that the ending could have been jammed out a little longer, but to me this song holds up to any material they've ever made.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 4:27 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I'm with you. I think its the best song on S/T, with Parachutes close behind. My only criticism, as others have mentioned, would be the terrible recording. If the guitars sounded a little beefier, I think it'd be a lot more popular.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 4:53 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

^Same thoughts here too. We all know S/T sucks with production, but even still, MITS and Parachutes are my favorites from it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam