The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate sleight of hand
5 stars 69%  69%  [ 22 ]
4 stars 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
3 stars 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
2 stars 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
1 star 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32
Author Message
 Post subject: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2012 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 29470
old thread archived here

_________________
*Led Zeppelin Mega Tournament: Click here*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 4:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 1988
mike's work on this song is extraordinary, and provides exactly the kind of sonic color and compositional depth i wish the band was still interested in pursuing


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 4:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 1988
this song is just so superbly executed


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 1988
the verses come and go and meander and amble just so and then BAM there's that beautiful monster of a chorus where everything comes together


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:01 am 
Online
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 31342
Location: Mountains
Pj at its best. What a triumph. Embarrassing that they feel mostly humiliated by this record.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:02 am 
Online
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 31342
Location: Mountains
--- wrote:
the verses come and go and meander and amble just so and then BAM there's that beautiful monster of a chorus where everything comes together


When Cameron hits the Kick drum twice on the way into the chorus...

That's what its all about.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 1988
more than just about any other song in the catalog, i wish i could have been in the room over the course of this song's evolution (demoing, fleshing out the song's particulars, arranging, etc)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:04 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 2167
This song, musically and lyrically, scares the shit out of me. It's not an emotion I associate with much rock I listen to, but PJ does it here.


Last edited by digster on Fri March 07, 2014 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:05 am 
Online
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 31342
Location: Mountains
--- wrote:
more than just about any other song in the catalog, i wish i could have been in the room over the course of this song's evolution (demoing, fleshing out the song's particulars, arranging, etc)



I would like to see the band get frustrated by Tchad Blake forcing them to continue to push the boundaries of good taste in order to achieve such studio mastery.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 1988
Strat wrote:
--- wrote:
the verses come and go and meander and amble just so and then BAM there's that beautiful monster of a chorus where everything comes together


When Cameron hits the Kick drum twice on the way into the chorus...

That's what its all about.

there are certainly moments in their catalog that are as good, but i'm not sure there are any that are better

that they were able to weld together two structures (verses, choruses) so disparate really is a testament to how great they were at their peak


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 1988
digster wrote:
This song, musically and lyrically, scares the shit out of me. It's not an emotion I associate with much rock I listen to, but PJ does it here.

what about the music scares you?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 1988
Strat wrote:
--- wrote:
more than just about any other song in the catalog, i wish i could have been in the room over the course of this song's evolution (demoing, fleshing out the song's particulars, arranging, etc)



I would like to see the band get frustrated by Tchad Blake forcing them to continue to push the boundaries of good taste in order to achieve such studio mastery.

i'm just curious about what it was about the process of this song that encouraged them to be so unorthodox, and ultimately comfortable with the product. mike never played this way before, and certainly hasn't since.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:11 am 
Online
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 31342
Location: Mountains
--- wrote:
Strat wrote:
--- wrote:
more than just about any other song in the catalog, i wish i could have been in the room over the course of this song's evolution (demoing, fleshing out the song's particulars, arranging, etc)



I would like to see the band get frustrated by Tchad Blake forcing them to continue to push the boundaries of good taste in order to achieve such studio mastery.

i'm just curious about what it was about the process of this song that encouraged them to be so unorthodox, and ultimately comfortable with the product. mike never played this way before, and certainly hasn't since.



Drugs for Mike :(

Ed being cheated on

Jeff being Jeff

Cameron being talented

Stone......who knows.

Mostly it all means sthat Brendan O'Brien wasn't present.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 1988
yeah but drugs weren't new for mike


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:12 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 2167
--- wrote:
digster wrote:
This song, musically and lyrically, scares the shit out of me. It's not an emotion I associate with much rock I listen to, but PJ does it here.

what about the music scares you?


To me, the chorus has always sounded like a tiny, private apocalypse. It's the sonic no man's land of an individual life. There's something vast about the chords being played, but it still seems to connect to that one life being talked about in the verse.

I don't know; this one kind of transcends words for me.


Last edited by digster on Fri March 07, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 1988
can't say whether being a cuckold was new for ed, though


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 1988
digster wrote:
--- wrote:
digster wrote:
This song, musically and lyrically, scares the shit out of me. It's not an emotion I associate with much rock I listen to, but PJ does it here.

what about the music scares you?


To me, the chorus has always sounded like a tiny, private apocalypse. It's the sonic no man's land of an individual life. There's something vast about the chords being played, but it still seems to connect to that one life being talked about in the verse.

I don't know; this one kind of transcends words for me.

it definitely sounds like some kind of implosion, which works for the lyrical theme. but it's almost like the narrator is celebrating the implosion, that he's welcoming everything coming down.


Last edited by --- on Wed July 30, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:15 am 
Online
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 31342
Location: Mountains
--- wrote:
yeah but drugs weren't new for mike



Look, i dont have answers. Im trying to figure this shit out. Binaural is #1 for me and the peak of their prowess. That peak saturated the following 6 years so....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:16 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 2167
--- wrote:
digster wrote:
--- wrote:
digster wrote:
This song, musically and lyrically, scares the shit out of me. It's not an emotion I associate with much rock I listen to, but PJ does it here.

what about the music scares you?


To me, the chorus has always sounded like a tiny, private apocalypse. It's the sonic no man's land of an individual life. There's something vast about the chords being played, but it still seems to connect to that one life being talked about in the verse.

I don't know; this one kind of transcends words for me.

it definitely sounds like some kind of implosion, which works for the lyrical theme. but it's almost like the narrators is celebrating the implosion, that he's welcoming everything coming down.


Yeah, I think which is what is so scary about it to me. The fear that you could find yourself in that place and be so welcoming to the prospect.


Last edited by digster on Fri March 07, 2014 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Sleight of Hand
PostPosted: Fri March 07, 2014 5:17 am 
Online
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 31342
Location: Mountains
As far as notes/chord struture goes...Sleight of Hand isn't all that complex at all.


The chorus is a;most the same as "Hard to Imagine"

A to A/G to G

THe pre chorus is E and D.


Super simple. But its the landscape that is created and the palette exploration that makes it significant.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B, Bing [Bot], E.H. Ruddock and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed December 13, 2017 1:39 am