The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Prince to cover Even Flow?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:39 pm 
Future Drummer

He did play Even Flow at both of the shows this weeked, closing with it the second show as he had "lost his voice".

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 30611.html (setlists and notes)
http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 86301.html (review)

Concert 1
Let’s Go Crazy/ Endorphinemachine/ Screwdriver/ She’s Always in My Hair/ The Love We Make/ I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man/ Guitar/ Plectum Electrum (new instrumental written by 3rdeyegirl’s Donna Grantis)/ Fix Ur Life Up/ medley of snippets from: When Doves Cry > Sign o’ the Times> Most Beautiful Girl in the World > Forever in My Life> Hot Thing> A Love Bizarre > Housequake/ Mr. Goodnight/ Purple Rain (with Bobby Z on drums) ENCORE Even Flow (Pearl Jam, instrumental version)/ Bambi ENCORE 2 Stratus (Billy Cobham instrumental)/ U Got the Look

Concert 2
Let’s Go Crazy/ Endrophinemachine/ Screwdriver/ She’s Always in My Hair/ Free/ I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man/ Guitar/ Plectum Electrum (new instrumental written by 3rdeyegirl’s Donna Grantis)/ Fix Ur Life Up/ I Like It There/ So Far So Please/ Stratus (Billy Cobham instrumental) ENCORE Purple Rain (with Bobby Z on drums)/ The Max/ Laydown ENCORE 2 Even Flow (Pearl Jam, instrumental version)

if any video/audio gets out there, we'll have to consider ourselves lucky- prince is notorious for not allowing recordings and taking anything down online that was recorded.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 pm 
The Master

:z:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

im sure Stone is very happy with this.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:00 am 
tl;dr

gems and rhinestones wrote:
That was, meh whatever. The word that comes to mind is 'common". The funny thing is if someone posted that snippet and didn't say it was Prince then it would get like 3 responses, but since it's Prince you all are beating off to it. Hilarious. Prince along with Cobain are the most over-rated guitar players ever.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone call Kurt Cobain a great guitar player.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:04 am 
Poster of the Year

Kevin Davis wrote:
That was, meh whatever. The word that comes to mind is 'common". The funny thing is if someone posted that snippet and didn't say it was Prince then it would get like 3 responses, but since it's Prince you all are beating off to it. Hilarious. Prince along with Cobain are the most over-rated guitar players ever.

Yeah I'm pretty sure no one has ever said that about Kurt Cobain.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:06 am 
jeeeesus relax already

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Well some magazines called him one of the greatest guitar players from all times and bla bla....but whatever Prince is incredible and that´s about it.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:57 am 
The worst

VinylGuy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Well some magazines called him one of the greatest guitar players from all times and bla bla....but whatever Prince is incredible and that´s about it.

Kurt Cobain ALWAYS shows up very high in all those best guitar player lists in magazines and major websites. I am not saying he should be there (he shouldn't) but it's constant

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:04 am 
tl;dr

I Googled this and found Rolling Stone's last list of greatest guitarists, where Cobain placed 73rd--hardly much of a showing, but he's on the list, which is more than I'd expected:

Quote:
Kurt Cobain

He was no virtuoso, and that's the whole point: By snatching electric guitar from note-shredding technicians and giving it back to artists, freaks and poets, Kurt Cobain became one of the most important players ever. Cobain didn't invent alt-rock. But with his love of Cheap Trick, the Melvins and Kiss, he gave it the metallic power necessary to conquer the world. His playing wasn't all untutored squall, either: See the unconventional chord progression and mastery of quiet-loud-quiet dynamics on "Lithium" – and pretty much every other Nirvana song.

Their premise is essentially that he was a great guitar player because he wasn't a very good guitar player and got very famous for it.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:04 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

MadTIGERmaN wrote:

This guy clearly is a hack... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

:lol: I think this is the 2,214th time someone has posted that RRHOF clip when talking about Prince's guitar playing. It's the only clip anyone ever produces. I actually forgot to say in my original post "I wonder how long til someone posts the clip of Prince with Tom Petty". :haha:

As for Cobain, he's almost always in every top 10 list as the greatest of all time. He sucked, but when you kill yourself......TOP 10 in everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheerio :)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:09 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Were it not for Cobain, I would never have picked up a guitar. I'm sure there's countless kids who grew up at the same time who would say the same. I've always thought his high placement on lists of that nature was a nod to his immense influence rather than an assessment of his technical mastery. I still think he was a really interesting and characterful guitarist, morseso than someone like McCready.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:20 am 
tl;dr

Quote:
Were it not for Cobain, I would never have picked up a guitar. I'm sure there's countless kids who grew up at the same time who would say the same. I've always thought his high placement on lists of that nature was a nod to his immense influence rather than an assessment of his technical mastery.

I guess I just feel like this kind of defeats the purpose (futile as it is anyway) of a "greatest guitarists" list. Not that it should be all about sheer technical mastery, but once "influence" becomes relevant criteria, the exercise ceases to be an analysis of guitar playing and simply becomes an analysis of cultural iconography--which is fine, but a different list.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:22 am 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:
Quote:
Were it not for Cobain, I would never have picked up a guitar. I'm sure there's countless kids who grew up at the same time who would say the same. I've always thought his high placement on lists of that nature was a nod to his immense influence rather than an assessment of his technical mastery.

I guess I just feel like this kind of defeats the purpose (futile as it is anyway) of a "greatest guitarists" list. Not that it should be all about sheer technical mastery, but once "influence" becomes relevant criteria, the exercise ceases to be an analysis of guitar playing and simply becomes an analysis of cultural iconography--which is fine, but a different list.

they often do get conflated.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:24 am 
The Master

Yea i dont think his influence had anything to do with him as a guitarist but rather him writing songs and being in a band at the right place at the right time. What he was doing on guitar was no different than a million others at the same time. Nirvana hit it big and he was the poster boy for that type of playing - which is great - but he is extremely over rated even in that regard. So many other bands and song writers were doing what he did - and I think better - than Kurt.

But whatever. He did get a sort of minimalist punk rock approach to guitar to the mainstream after the ridiculousness of the 80's mainstream players.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:35 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Strat wrote:
Yea i dont think his influence had anything to do with him as a guitarist but rather him writing songs and being in a band at the right place at the right time. What he was doing on guitar was no different than a million others at the same time. Nirvana hit it big and he was the poster boy for that type of playing - which is great - but he is extremely over rated even in that regard. So many other bands and song writers were doing what he did - and I think better - than Kurt.

But whatever. He did get a sort of minimalist punk rock approach to guitar to the mainstream after the ridiculousness of the 80's mainstream players.

Pretty much my thoughts for Nirvana. Billy Corgan said that cobain was a better guitar player but he didnt want to play too much because of that punk creed he was after.

Really, a sad person.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:50 am 
Commissioner

MadTIGERmaN wrote:

:lol: I think this is the 2,214th time someone has posted that RRHOF clip when talking about Prince's guitar playing. It's the only clip anyone ever produces. I actually forgot to say in my original post "I wonder how long til someone posts the clip of Prince with Tom Petty". :haha:

As for Cobain, he's almost always in every top 10 list as the greatest of all time. He sucked, but when you kill yourself......TOP 10 in everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here. Just My Imagination. From the legendary "Small Club 1988" bootleg.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Just+My+Ima ... uW01?src=5

(If you don't have the patience to sit through the whole thing, the solo is from around the 2:30 mark till around the 6:30 mark)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:19 am 
Rank This Poster

MadTIGERmaN wrote:

I'd just like to point out that I googled "top ten guitarists" and read the first page of results and Cobain wasn't in any of the lists.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:03 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Those lists used to have the obvious guys near the top then the rest would be whoever was popular at the time. For instance in 1987 CC Deville would be like 75 and now he wouldn't be in the top 500. As time goes by and the guitar heroes dried up and things became more stagnant. I imagine Jack White would be one of the youngest on there. They would probably reach and put John Mayer just to have someone current. Maybe there is some obscure jam band kid I never heard of. Funny thing though is I've noticed Eddie Van Halen who might be as high as 2 back in the day has really fallen lately. I think I saw him in the 30's last year.

Last edited by bada on Tue May 28, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:06 am 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:
I Googled this and found Rolling Stone's last list of greatest guitarists, where Cobain placed 73rd--hardly much of a showing, but he's on the list, which is more than I'd expected:

Quote:
Kurt Cobain

He was no virtuoso, and that's the whole point: By snatching electric guitar from note-shredding technicians and giving it back to artists, freaks and poets, Kurt Cobain became one of the most important players ever. Cobain didn't invent alt-rock. But with his love of Cheap Trick, the Melvins and Kiss, he gave it the metallic power necessary to conquer the world. His playing wasn't all untutored squall, either: See the unconventional chord progression and mastery of quiet-loud-quiet dynamics on "Lithium" – and pretty much every other Nirvana song.

Their premise is essentially that he was a great guitar player because he wasn't a very good guitar player and got very famous for it.

Yeah, it's Rolling Stone....

They do shit like that to create controversy and sell magazines; not to provide an authoritative opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:21 am 
AnalLog

MadTIGERmaN wrote:

thats because Prince/his lawyers... delete just about EVERY other vid that pops up, so its about the only one thats always there LOL (and it is a great solo)

I had a friend who used to always go on and on about how great SRV was... and when ever he would put something on as an example of a great SRV track... it was ALWAYS a Hendrix cover... yeah, try convincing a Hendrix fan that someone does his song better? good luck with that pal. :peace:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:29 am 
Future Drummer

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
I had a friend who used to always go on and on about how great SRV was... and when ever he would put something on as an example of a great SRV track... it was ALWAYS a Hendrix cover... yeah, try convincing a Hendrix fan that someone does his song better? good luck with that pal. :peace:

The dude was doing it wrong:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam