The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: PJ20 Boxed Set
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:39 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
The number of genuine "trainwreck" moments at the Philly shows is greatly overstated; most of them just reflect the typically underrehearsed, unfocused Pearl Jam of 2008 onward.

I wouldn't say they were under rehearsed in 08. Evacuation aside. Many of the rarer songs they were playing they were playing most nights, so they actually knew them.

I really like the two Mansfield shows from 08.

Me too, and Bonnaroo, Virginia Beach and Hartford. All great shows.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:40 am 
Poster of the Year

Kevin Davis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
The number of genuine "trainwreck" moments at the Philly shows is greatly overstated; most of them just reflect the typically underrehearsed, unfocused Pearl Jam of 2008 onward.

It was very hard to get into those shows.

I can understand that. But they're not nearly as bad as people describe, at least comparatively. They're full of the same kinds of errors they were making at most of the rest of the shows that year.

For sure, 09 sucked all around. But I think a lot of the over the top descriptions of how bad they were in Philly are in reaction to the people who were saying those shows were some of the best ever.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:15 am 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
For sure, 09 sucked all around. But I think a lot of the over the top descriptions of how bad they were in Philly are in reaction to the people who were saying those shows were some of the best ever.

Keep telling yourself that.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:17 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

This guy.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:23 am 
Poster of the Year

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Keep telling yourself that.

Hey man, I pretty much agree with you. I don't think Kevin Davis was saying it wasn't bad, but it was just typical for that year.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:33 pm 
tl;dr

I just listened to Philly 1 up through "Not For You" and it's not a bad show at all for its time. Standard objections to Eddie's voice and overall recording quality apply, but the number of errors is minimal, certainly no worse than those present in some of the 2000 or 2003 shows that we all consider great. The band is tight and synced up, even though I think the poor mixing and chintzy guitar tones make it sound otherwise. These versions of "Parachutes" and "Unemployable" are really nice.

I might play these shows through this week and see how they hold up. If memory serves, nights 1 and 3 were much better played than nights 2 and 4.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
warehouse wrote:
r u new here?

Please. I remember somebody starting a "Philly sucked" thread in the pit and it was basically everyone saying "fuck you those were the greatest shows in the history of the world" and the thread was closed. Maybe two or three dissenters out of how many posts...

And anytime someone asks for a good bootleg to buy, within two or three posts someone will say Philly 3 or 4. It never fails.

so you are new here. i dont even read the pit, but if you bring up any of the philly 09 shows here people will shit on them like theres no tomorrow.

And he's been the loudest one since November 1st 2009.

hmm, i always thought that was u. i should pay more attention to whose posting lol

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2024 7:36 pm 
A Return To Form

Was this real, though?

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2024 9:44 pm 
AnalLog

Wasn't sure where to ask this, previously, but, since this zombie thread was resurrected for seemingly no good reason whatsoever, I'm shooting my shot:

As of right now, if I search for Pearl Jam Twenty on iTunes, there are two entries. They appear to be the two bonus discs from the 3-disc set.

That, in and of itself, is fine. It's great to have the bonus discs up there. I'm happy to buy them again just to have them in digital form...no problem!

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing a listing for the main documentary!
Is it included with the purchase of either one of the two bonus discs, or is it not up there at all?

Does anyone own this entire set digitally? Perhaps there's something I'm missing here? Thanks for any assistance!

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2024 11:16 pm 
Production Police

I think it was an Amazon exclusive for a spell, maybe try there

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2024 11:51 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
I think it was an Amazon exclusive for a spell, maybe try there

Thanks, Trag. I'll take a gander

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2024 2:19 pm 
A Return To Form

oneway23 wrote:
this zombie thread was resurrected for seemingly no good reason whatsoever

Is there truth objective enough to make such a bold assessment of the reason for resurrecting this zombie? Can you resurrect a zombie? Are they not already resurrected? Victor Frankenstein brought his creation (I do not call it a monster because Frankenstein himself was the monster) to life only because he could. How much of modern science proceeds with no other reason than "because we can"? The whole of the 21st century is defined only by whether we can, never whether we should.

Anyway, it's weird that Apple TV plays the trailer for the documentary on the "Kids Are Twenty" bonus disc. Makes me think someone got some wires crossed and nobody at PJ Inc. paid enough attention to notice.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2024 2:32 pm 
Future Drummer

lvc wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

Is there truth objective enough to make such a bold assessment of the reason for resurrecting this zombie? Can you resurrect a zombie? Are they not already resurrected? Victor Frankenstein brought his creation (I do not call it a monster because Frankenstein himself was the monster) to life only because he could. How much of modern science proceeds with no other reason than "because we can"? The whole of the 21st century is defined only by whether we can, never whether we should.

Anyway, it's weird that Apple TV plays the trailer for the documentary on the "Kids Are Twenty" bonus disc. Makes me think someone got some wires crossed and nobody at PJ Inc. paid enough attention to notice.

There is a lot to unpack here. I'm going to pass for now and try again later.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2024 2:43 pm 
AnalLog

lvc wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

I'm not nearly stoned enough for this shit right here, brother, but, you do your thing LOL

As for the movie, I did take a look at Amazon, but, I've already got my entire collection in iTunes and would prefer to keep it that way.

I saw that weird gaffe with the trailer as well, though, I did also notice they're re-releasing Touring Band and the Showbox gig in HD around Dark Matter's release, so, maybe there's hope that everything will get sorted with PJ20 at that time.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam