The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cover of the Moment: Comfortably Numb
PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:27 am 
Future Drummer

PHATJ wrote:
I like this cover. Fuck you.

+1

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 5:06 am 
10Club Complaint Department

numbers wrote:
I like the covers most of the time. I think sometimes we forget that the purpose of the shows is not the bootleg but the experience for the people in attendance. I’d say a majority of the crowd in the building would rather hear C Numb than any PJ deep cuts.

I find this very hard to believe. Last Kiss aside, which was a significant hit for the band, most of the other covers I’ve seen the band play have gone down like a lead balloon, particularly Mother. Nobody cares, and I wager they’d much prefer to hear less-played album tracks from Ten or Vs (e.g. Garden, Deep, Rats) than FM radio staples from 30-40 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 5:11 am 
Future Drummer

I think they just want to play whatever the fuck they want to play... and they think CN is fun to play... Is that such a difficult concept?

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 5:13 am 

No, but here’s another non-difficult concept: it sucks.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 5:17 am 
Future Drummer

Yeah, well that's just your opinion, man...

I love hearing it, playing it, and hearing pj play it.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 11:36 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

numbers wrote:
I like the covers most of the time. I think sometimes we forget that the purpose of the shows is not the bootleg but the experience for the people in attendance. I’d say a majority of the crowd in the building would rather hear C Numb than any PJ deep cuts.

Why do they have to substitute a cover for a deep cut? Why can't they just play another one of their good songs?

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 12:31 pm 
A Return To Form

It’s dreadfully laboured and a bollock hair short of woeful.

I get they might enjoy playing it and that’s cool, but it’s probably only cool to suckers who are in Pearl Jam or have never listened to the original.

Retire the covers by numbers approach, or if they can’t, then cover something within your range.

Fucking shameful turn this band has taken. Vedder inc.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 3:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
numbers wrote:

Why do they have to substitute a cover for a deep cut? Why can't they just play another one of their good songs?

I was just trying to make the point that a lot of the people in attendance are not PJ diehards like we are, they are there to hear Alive and Even Flow and would rather hear C Numb than anything off Binaural.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 3:54 pm 
The Master

numbers wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
numbers wrote:

I was just trying to make the point that a lot of the people in attendance are not PJ diehards like we are, they are there to hear Alive and Even Flow and would rather hear C Numb than anything off Binaural.

I should have these people killed

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 3:59 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

numbers wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
numbers wrote:

Only PJ diehards want to hear PJ songs at a PJ concert?

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:00 pm 
The Master

EJ wrote:
numbers wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
numbers wrote:

Only PJ diehards want to hear PJ songs at a PJ concert?

Only pj diehards want to hear deeper pj cuts at a pj concert

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:06 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Quote:
most of the other covers I’ve seen the band play have gone down like a lead balloon, particularly Mother.
How can you tell? I'd guess that if someone was excited to hear a song like Mother, they wouldn't be yelling and jumping up and down like for Baba or something. It's not that type of song.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:14 pm 
Future Drummer

no band should ever aim higher than catering to the whims of the softheaded, tasteless boors that encourage their indulgence in the particular brand of disposable schlock so appealing to middle-aged idlers with a waning interest in their craft

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

For example, I’ve been to a few DMB shows with friends. I don’t really like DMB, I don’t hate them, but I only know the hit songs. One of those shows they played Petty- Running Down a Dream and I remember and enjoyed that a lot more than any of the songs I didn’t know. It doesn’t mean I’m angry they didn’t play more covers, or angry that they played songs I didn’t know.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

--- wrote:
no band should ever aim higher than catering to the whims of the softheaded, tasteless boors that encourage their indulgence in the particular brand of disposable schlock so appealing to middle-aged idlers with a waning interest in their craft

A crowd full of people with the above sentiment surely wouldn’t be an awful group to be around.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:27 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I don't mind them playing couple covers but 7-8 in a 30 song concert is too many. And some certainly work better than others, I don't even think about it when I hear Baba or Free World at the end anymore and personally I wouldn't mind seeing Timeless Melody return from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I’d like to see them start doing Harvest Moon again.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:38 pm 
Future Drummer

I have to agree with those who brought up you shouldn't cover Pink Floyd. This song is so quirky and distinctive that it's just a strange choice to me besides that mike is good on it. I do think Mother is worse as it's just a weird song to sing as a cover. If they're gonna do classic rock staples I'd rather they pick something different.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:50 pm 

mikejasond wrote:
I have to agree with those who brought up you shouldn't cover Pink Floyd. This song is so quirky and distinctive that it's just a strange choice to me besides that mike is good on it. I do think Mother is worse as it's just a weird song to sing as a cover. If they're gonna do classic rock staples I'd rather they pick something different.

Great insight

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 5:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

bodysnatcher wrote:
Everyday in Lubbock

This was fucking great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam