The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Rearviewmirror Greatest Hits: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2012 11:58 am 
The worst

the original thread is archived here

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post subject: Opinions on Rearviewmirror greatest hits album?
PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:40 pm 
Future Drummer

I got this album a while back and IMO it's absolutely perfect. I think it's astonishing how much I agreed with the choices they made of what songs to include, and the album really shows how much quality is in the Pearl Jam discography. I like how they did it with the harder and softer songs divided amongst the disks as well. That was cool. Wikipedia says Crazy Mary was supposed to be in Man of the Hour's place. I guess that would make it better, but I still think it works just fine the way it is. The only thing I can say is that maybe Love Boat Captain should have been included as well.

Oh and it bothers me that Even Flow is some weird remix. Apparently according to wikipedia it's the single version but regardless it's not the version everybody knows and it's kind of lame that they put one of their top 3 hits as an alternate version.

And nice move ending on Yellow Ledbetter.

Tracklist:

Disc one
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Once (2004 remix)" (from Ten, 1991) Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard 3:16
2. "Alive (2004 remix)" (from Ten, 1991) Vedder, Gossard 5:42
3. "Even Flow (single version)" (from Ten, 1991) Vedder, Gossard 5:03
4. "Jeremy" (from Ten, 1991) Vedder, Jeff Ament 5:20
5. "State of Love and Trust" (from Singles, 1992) Vedder, Mike McCready, Ament 3:43
6. "Animal" (from Vs., 1993) Dave Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 2:47
7. "Go" (from Vs., 1993) Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 3:12
8. "Dissident" (from Vs., 1993) Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 3:34
9. "Rearviewmirror" (from Vs., 1993) Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 4:44
10. "Spin the Black Circle" (from Vitalogy, 1994) Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 2:49
11. "Corduroy" (from Vitalogy, 1994) Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 4:39
12. "Not for You" (from Vitalogy, 1994) Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 5:53
13. "I Got Id" (from the Merkin Ball single (with Neil Young)) Vedder 4:51
14. "Hail, Hail" (from No Code, 1996) Gossard, Vedder, Ament, McCready 3:44
15. "Do the Evolution" (from Yield, 1998) Gossard, Vedder 3:52
16. "Save You" (from Riot Act, 2002) Ament, Matt Cameron, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 3:55
Disc two
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Black (2004 remix)" (from Ten, 1991) Vedder, Gossard 5:39
2. "Breath" (from Singles, 1992) Vedder, Gossard 5:24
3. "Daughter" (from Vs., 1993) Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 3:56
4. "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" (from Vs., 1993) Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 3:15
5. "Immortality" (from Vitalogy, 1994) Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder 5:12
6. "Better Man" (from Vitalogy, 1994) Vedder 4:28
7. "Nothingman" (from Vitalogy, 1994) Vedder, Ament 4:34
8. "Who You Are" (from No Code, 1996) Gossard, Jack Irons, Vedder 3:53
9. "Off He Goes" (from No Code, 1996) Vedder 6:00
10. "Given to Fly" (from Yield, 1998) McCready, Vedder 4:00
11. "Wishlist" (from Yield, 1998) Vedder 3:26
12. "Last Kiss" (from the 1998 fan club Christmas single) Wayne Cochran 3:17
13. "Nothing as It Seems" (from Binaural, 2000) Ament 5:21
14. "Light Years" (from Binaural, 2000) Gossard, McCready, Vedder 5:10
15. "I Am Mine" (from Riot Act, 2002) Vedder 3:36
16. "Man of the Hour" (from the Big Fish soundtrack, 2003) Vedder 3:45
17. "Yellow Ledbetter" (from the "Jeremy" single, 1992) Ament, McCready, Vedder 5:03

Post subject: Re: Opinions on Rearviewmirror greatest hits album?
PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:48 pm 
Posting (live)

Uh I prefer the Dave A version of Even Flow and it was the released single/video version. It just seems to bounce and groove more (just is Dave A in a bottle). Listen to his hats man, it's just right.

I don't think I've ever listened to this album in full though. Never thought it was necessary.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:50 pm 
Posting (live)

Also, there is already a thread about this album. Try to avoid double ups or B will have to do some work.

http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:53 pm 
Commissioner

mikejasond wrote:
Oh and it bothers me that Even Flow is some weird remix. Apparently according to wikipedia it's the single version but regardless it's not the version everybody knows and it's kind of lame that they put one of their top 3 hits as an alternate version.

It's the version that was in the very heavily aired music video and during their commercial peak you were just as likely to hear this version on the radio as you were the album version. It's pretty that likely that the "alternate" version is the one most fans heard first during the period when they gained the most new fans.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:54 pm 
A Return To Form

LetMeSleep wrote:
Uh I prefer the Dave A version of Even Flow and it was the released single/video version. It just seems to bounce and groove more (just is Dave A in a bottle). Listen to his hats man, it's just right.

I don't think I've ever listened to this album in full though. Never thought it was necessary.

agreed... i like the video version of Even Flow much better... maybe because i haven't heard it as many times as the album version, but i would much rather listen to it instead

Playlist

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:55 pm 
Poster of the Year

merge!

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:55 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I'd like to see a little more Binaural and RA represented. I'd probably add Insignificance or Grievance to disc one. Then drop Last Kiss and add LBC or something else from RA to disc two. Other than that, it does play surprisingly well for a greatest hits album.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:56 pm 
Posting (live)

To be honest this release if not for us.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:56 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Lament wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

It's the version that was in the very heavily aired music video and during their commercial peak you were just as likely to hear this version on the radio as you were the album version. It's pretty that likely that the "alternate" version is the one most fans heard first during the period when they gained the most new fans.

The Dave A version is vastly superior to the Ten album version. It's not a remix, it's a different recording.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:57 pm 
Commissioner

The remix of Once is pretty killer.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:58 pm 
Posting (live)

Fuzzcharger wrote:
The Dave A version is vastly superior to the Ten album version. It's not a remix, it's a different recording.

Yeah yeah aw huh

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Fuzzcharger wrote:
Lament wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

where is that available?

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:59 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Hate the SOLAT mix on this....too much rrrreeeevvvveeeerrrrbbbbb.....the rest is good.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 11:02 pm 
known prankster

bluestate wrote:
I'd like to see a little more Binaural and RA represented. I'd probably add Insignificance or Grievance to disc one. Then drop Last Kiss and add LBC or something else from RA to disc two. Other than that, it does play surprisingly well for a greatest hits album.

yes drop their biggest hit and exchange it for a shitty ass ballad from a shitty ass album

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 11:04 pm 
Posting (live)

bodysnatcher wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:
Lament wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

where is that available?

Are you fuckin kidding me?

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 11:05 pm 
Commissioner

bodysnatcher wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:
Lament wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

where is that available?

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 11:08 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

From memory, isn't the Brendan O'Brien-mixed single edit of Jeremy used on this as well?

The only thing that bothered me about the tracklisting was the change from Abbruzzese on Even Flow back to Krusen on Jeremy, that's a little jarring.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 11:10 pm 
Posting (live)

Birds in Hell wrote:
From memory, isn't the Brendan O'Brien-mixed single edit of Jeremy used on this as well?

The only thing that bothered me about the tracklisting was the change from Abbruzzese on Even Flow back to Krusen on Jeremy, that's a little jarring.

They should have gone with Jeremy from the VMA's. Now if only they had a multitrack recording of that beast.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 11:10 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

bodysnatcher wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:
Lament wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

where is that available?

I believe you'll find everything you need to know right here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Even_Flow

Last edited by Fuzzcharger on Thu July 25, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam