Switch to full style
When a band is but a fraction of Pearl Jam, but they aren't zero Pearl Jam.
Post a reply

Re: Moonlander - Stone Gossard

Sat January 10, 2015 5:09 pm

although moonlander has no metacritic score, so we can't settle this definitively

Sat January 10, 2015 6:52 pm

This is so much better than Lightning Bolt. It's not even close.

Sat January 10, 2015 6:56 pm

I guess I can't argue until I listen

Sat January 10, 2015 7:06 pm

I love I Need Something Different, Battle Cry, and Beyond Measure. The rest hasn't really grabbed me.

That live version of Your Flames is one of my favourite Stone solo songs, but I find the album version kind of boring.

Sat January 10, 2015 7:40 pm

I've listened to Lightning Bolt way more than Moonlander. But, yeah, I'd probably be the Moonlander is better camp. Which is not a knock on LB, just high praise for ML.

Sat January 10, 2015 8:15 pm

I would take "Moonlander" (or "Bayleaf," for that matter) over any of Pearl Jam's last three albums. And factoring out any of the emotional stuff I have tethered to them (first records I ever loved, etc.), over "Ten" and "Vs." too.

That's not reflexive "PJ bashing" either -- I genuinely think Stone's solo records are wonderful, and that his material supports a range of accompaniment, interpretation, etc. that no other band member's songs do, and that even as a collective they seldom manage.
Last edited by Kevin Davis on Sat January 10, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat January 10, 2015 8:16 pm

The album didn't really grab me for the long term, but I liked Remain more than most of the songs from PJ's last two records.

Sat January 10, 2015 9:13 pm

Kevin Davis wrote:I would take "Moonlander" (or "Bayleaf," for that matter) over any of Pearl Jam's last three albums. And factoring out any of the emotional stuff I have tethered to them (first records I ever loved, etc.), over "Ten" and "Vs." too.

That's not reflexive "PJ bashing" either -- I genuinely think Stone's solo records are wonderful, and that his material supports a range of accompaniment, interpretation, etc. that no other band member's songs do, and that even as a collective they seldom manage.

I agree with this 100%.

Sun January 11, 2015 12:37 am

Moon lander hasn't reached Bayleaf status for me, but it's damn good. Bombs Away and Beyond Measure are amazing.

Sun January 11, 2015 1:33 am

Sun January 11, 2015 1:46 am

I'd love to see a Stone solo show, you know, if I wasn't going to be surrounded by Pearl Jam fans.

Sun January 11, 2015 2:44 am

Jessica Fletcher wrote:Moon lander hasn't reached Bayleaf status for me, but it's damn good.

This.

I'd put Bayleaf above a good amount of PJ's work. Moonlander is certainly better than Backspacer and S/T. And arguably better than Lightning Bolt. I would tend toward ML but I'd entertain a good argument the other way.

Bayleaf is GLORIOUS. I'd take that over S/T, Backspacer, Lighting Bolt and Binaural (sorry, team) hands down. Probably over Vs, too.

Sun January 11, 2015 4:10 am

yeah i prefer Bayleaf although Moonlander is pretty awesome.

But to put them torwards pj albums? i dont think they are similar at all. Specially Moonlander. Thats why i love them so much, even if a couple of songs could be pj songs; Stone has an identity as a solo artist too.

Sun January 11, 2015 11:48 am

I think ive heard baylesf twice. It left no impression either way

Mon January 12, 2015 1:31 pm

Bayleaf is awful. Moonlander is redeemingly good. I can't really compare Moonlander to Lightning Bolt. They're just too distinctly different to measure against each other. It's like one is a piece of fruit, and the other is a completely different kind of fruit.

Mon January 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Are they really that different, though? Both strike me as the same general type of stylistically eclectic pop-rock record, with occasional leanings in the direction of something more specific (some folky tracks, a "weird" track -- but all still well within the larger musical vernacular of the record). Each is stamped by its creator in a way that the other isn't, sure, but it's not like you're talking about two completely different genres of music that play by completely different rules.

The more I think about it, the harder it seems to find two records more suited to side-by-side comparison.

Mon January 12, 2015 4:28 pm

You lost me at "Bayleaf is awful."

Mon January 12, 2015 4:28 pm

Wow you guys are really into Pearl Jam huh

Mon January 12, 2015 5:37 pm

Bayleaf is so good.

Sat January 07, 2017 5:33 am

Listening to this again and it's great. I even like "Witch Doctor" now.
Post a reply