The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 50  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moonlander - Stone Gossard
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 2:52 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Kevin Davis wrote:
evenslow wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
evenslow wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Ed solo show

key words here - dude can still bring it. don't be so hyperbolic son. you're better than that.

No, it really is that bad in Pearl Jam.

and

cutuphalfdead wrote:
And that's a big maybe about the solo shows.

On second thought, you're completely right. Stone could totally pull off the mix of warmth, maturity and targeted power (while also harmonizing) like Ed does here.

Stone will never be the live singer Ed is, or was. Ed is a natural performer, and shares with many of pop music's greatest singers a knack for fusing spectacle (however modest) and melodic variation with an uncanny ability to render almost anything he sings entirely his own. Whether its due to inability or underdevelopment, Stone doesn't have that--his presence is awkward and his voice doesn't have much traveling capacity.

However, with "Bayleaf" Stone composed a record that was 100% suited to his strengths, something which it doesn't seem entirely one can necessarily count on Pearl Jam to do at this point in time. To be fair, "Bayleaf" is over ten years old, and there's no real "track record" to indicate a follow-up would be equally well-considered; also to be fair, most of Eddie's serious missteps as a singer haven't been related to new studio material, but rather his insistence on continuing to perform songs in concert that are clearly beyond his current limitations. I thought he sounded as good as he could have been expected to sound on the ukulele album, and I'd say the same thing about the one-off tracks that have popped up over the last few years ("Ole," "Skipping," "Better Days," etc.). Misguided though it may be, I don't fear poor vocals from Ed on the next record as much as I fear poor songs. His voice is still a powerful instrument; even singers whose voices are in great states of deterioration can still be moving, because those instincts for how to render a song are ingrained in them. They just need discipline.

But I don't think saying that one would rather hear Stone sing at this point is necessarily a side-by-side catch-all comparison of the two singers. Most of us have heard virtually every musical note out of Eddie Vedder's mouth over the last decade--any of us could take any song we're familiar with, and in our mind create a reasonable facsimile of what Eddie Vedder would sound like singing it. His voice holds no surprises for us at this point, as gripped as we've all been by it in the past. At his best, Stone is a charismatic, inquisitive songwriter, and his geeky alien-sounding voice serves his material (personally, I thought all the weakest tunes on "Bayleaf" were the ones sung by Ty Willman), but when I listen to him sing I still feel like there are stories in his voice I haven't quite figured out yet, and that's the kind of thing that invites playback.

Which is why I chose the song I did. In that clip, Ed shows the versatility in tone, power and touch that "Golden State" demands. It fits the song perfectly, which is a trait he shows best at his solo shows. He obviously has his missteps and can't always get over the bar, but the guy has really learned how to "sing" over the years.

I mean, I'm Stone's Bitch and everything, but let's not shit on Ed just to shit on Ed, which is what I was combatting with cut up also half dead. The laziness in criticism can grow tiresome around here.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 3:46 pm 
Poster of the Year

warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I would much rather listen to Stone sing than Ed sing at this point.

LOL what r u lookin for attention?

Why can't I rather listen to Stone at this point?

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 3:48 pm 
Poster of the Year

Kevin Davis wrote:
evenslow wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
evenslow wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Ed solo show

key words here - dude can still bring it. don't be so hyperbolic son. you're better than that.

and

cutuphalfdead wrote:

On second thought, you're completely right. Stone could totally pull off the mix of warmth, maturity and targeted power (while also harmonizing) like Ed does here.

Stone will never be the live singer Ed is, or was. Ed is a natural performer, and shares with many of pop music's greatest singers a knack for fusing spectacle (however modest) and melodic variation with an uncanny ability to render almost anything he sings entirely his own. Whether its due to inability or underdevelopment, Stone doesn't have that--his presence is awkward and his voice doesn't have much traveling capacity.

However, with "Bayleaf" Stone composed a record that was 100% suited to his strengths, something which it doesn't seem one can necessarily count on Pearl Jam to do at this point in time. To be fair, "Bayleaf" is over ten years old, and there's no real "track record" to indicate a follow-up would be equally well-considered; also to be fair, most of Eddie's serious missteps as a singer haven't been related to new studio material, but rather his insistence on continuing to perform songs in concert that are clearly beyond his current limitations. I thought he sounded as good as he could have been expected to sound on the ukulele album, and I'd say the same thing about the one-off tracks that have popped up over the last few years ("Ole," "Skipping," "Better Days," etc.). Misguided though it may be, I don't fear poor vocals from Ed on the next record as much as I fear poor songs. His voice is still a powerful instrument; even singers whose voices are in great states of deterioration can still be moving, because those instincts for how to render a song are ingrained in them. They just need discipline.

But I don't think saying that one would rather hear Stone sing at this point is necessarily a side-by-side catch-all comparison of the two singers. Most of us have heard virtually every musical note out of Eddie Vedder's mouth over the last decade--any of us could take any song we're familiar with, and in our mind create a reasonable facsimile of what Eddie Vedder would sound like singing it. His voice holds no surprises for us at this point, as gripped as we've all been by it in the past. At his best, Stone is a charismatic, inquisitive songwriter, and his geeky alien-sounding voice serves his material (personally, I thought all the weakest tunes on "Bayleaf" were the ones sung by Ty Willman), but when I listen to him sing I still feel like there are stories in his voice I haven't quite figured out yet, and that's the kind of thing that invites playback.

Kevin Davis, ladies and gentlemen. He actually understood what I meant and didn't just assume I was trolling you nerds.

But, we do have those 2008 songs that are a much more recent example of his vocals compared to Bayleaf.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 3:59 pm 
Rank This Poster

I love Stone and can't wait for his new album. Based on those more recent tracks and live videos we've seen, I think he's really improved as a vocalist since Bayleaf.

Still, I would much rather listen to this guy sing if I had to choose:

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:07 pm 
The Master

Farmer John wrote:
I love Stone and can't wait for his new album. Based on those more recent tracks and live videos we've seen, I think he's really improved as a vocalist since Bayleaf.

I wish Ed would release an album with Natalie Maines.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:08 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Farmer John wrote:

I wish Ed would release an album with Natalie Maines.

Maybe one song with her...maybe.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:11 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Those performances with Natalie were enjoyable, but no duets album, please. :throwup:

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

turned2black wrote:
Those performances with Natalie were enjoyable, but no duets album, please. :throwup:

Two people singing together makes you sick?

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:24 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I hope this song is in it. I think it's a great song.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:25 pm 
Poster of the Year

Have you heard the other version?

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Farmer John wrote:
turned2black wrote:

No. I love a good duet. But a full album of duets is pretty gimmicky and generally points to an artistic decline.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:32 pm 
Poster of the Year

theplatypus wrote:

If you haven't head it, here's the other take:

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

theplatypus wrote:

This is definitely my favourite of those tracks he released. I like this live version better.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:34 pm 
Poster of the Year

Yeah the live version is the best.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:36 pm 
Poster of the Year

But I really like all of those songs he put out in 08. Both Live is fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:37 pm 
Rank This Poster

turned2black wrote:
Farmer John wrote:
turned2black wrote:

No. I love a good duet. But a full album of duets is pretty gimmicky and generally points to an artistic decline.

If they were doing White Christmas and Baby It's Cold Outside then, yes. But if it's a Robert Plant and Allison Kraus, or Mark Langan and Isobel What's Her Name kind of thing, than it could be cool.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 4:39 pm 
Poster of the Year

Guys, do you think he'll tour?

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 6:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I much prefer Stone's singing over Shawn Smith's.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 7:48 pm 
Stone's Bitch

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
evenslow wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
evenslow wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Ed solo show

and

cutuphalfdead wrote:

However, with "Bayleaf" Stone composed a record that was 100% suited to his strengths, something which it doesn't seem one can necessarily count on Pearl Jam to do at this point in time. To be fair, "Bayleaf" is over ten years old, and there's no real "track record" to indicate a follow-up would be equally well-considered; also to be fair, most of Eddie's serious missteps as a singer haven't been related to new studio material, but rather his insistence on continuing to perform songs in concert that are clearly beyond his current limitations. I thought he sounded as good as he could have been expected to sound on the ukulele album, and I'd say the same thing about the one-off tracks that have popped up over the last few years ("Ole," "Skipping," "Better Days," etc.). Misguided though it may be, I don't fear poor vocals from Ed on the next record as much as I fear poor songs. His voice is still a powerful instrument; even singers whose voices are in great states of deterioration can still be moving, because those instincts for how to render a song are ingrained in them. They just need discipline.

Kevin Davis, ladies and gentlemen. He actually understood what I meant and didn't just assume I was trolling you nerds.

But, we do have those 2008 songs that are a much more recent example of his vocals compared to Bayleaf.

Luckly we have the cutuphalfdead-whisperer b/c god forbid he spoke up for himself once in his 10 trillion posts.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 7:51 pm 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:
you nerds.

this is like eddie vedder saying someone is too breathy when they sing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 50  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked