The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: List your top ten standout PJ songs....
PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 2:31 am 
A Return To Form

So you know how PJ has six solid albums (7 if you include Riot Act). Well, do you think there will be a point where the sucky albums will outweigh the amazing ones? Like, if they never break up and continue to make music.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 7:15 am 
Future Drummer

StonyGold wrote:
So you know how PJ has six solid albums (7 if you include Riot Act). Well, do you think there will be a point where the sucky albums will outweigh the amazing ones? Like, if they never break up and continue to make music.

There are five good albums, so its now a tie.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 2:17 pm 
StonyGold wrote:

It's only a matter of time. Fortunately the length of time between new albums keeps getting longer, so at the current rate it will take another 30-40 years for this to happen.

But if you look at it in terms of years and not albums, they've now been making kinda shitty albums for as long as they made good ones, depending on how you feel about Avocado.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 2:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Birds in Hell wrote:
Anders wrote:
Still they made jokes about past problems, like Ed smiling and saying Stone was the problem. It wasn't until this century they could talk more freely about it, admit and explain things.

Do they talk more freely about their interpersonal issues now, though?

None of know what they've talked about in private obviously but (as has been pointed out in a few threads on here recently) I don't get the sense that Ed and Stone have a particularly warm relationship, perhaps even less now than before.

When I saw them in Philadelphia (the Ten show), Ed talked about what a good friend Stone is, and Ed was hugging him from behind during Mike's solo in YL. I don't get where the idea comes from that they don't like each other. They all seem relatively close to me.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 2:49 pm 
The Master

darth_vedder wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Anders wrote:
Still they made jokes about past problems, like Ed smiling and saying Stone was the problem. It wasn't until this century they could talk more freely about it, admit and explain things.

None of know what they've talked about in private obviously but (as has been pointed out in a few threads on here recently) I don't get the sense that Ed and Stone have a particularly warm relationship, perhaps even less now than before.

When I saw them in Philadelphia (the Ten show), Ed talked about what a good friend Stone is, and Ed was hugging him from behind during Mike's solo in YL. I don't get where the idea comes from that they don't like each other. They all seem relatively close to me.

Fans like to create narratives.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 2:53 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Monkey_Driven wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Anders wrote:

I may have had the hugging backwards, and this isn't the show, but this is what they were doing. If I hated someone, I would not do this:

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 3:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

darth_vedder wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Anders wrote:

I may have had the hugging backwards, and this isn't the show, but this is what they were doing. If I hated someone, I would not do this:

We don't know what Stone whispered as he held Ed.

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 12:24 pm 
The worst

guestT wrote:
StonyGold wrote:

It's only a matter of time. Fortunately the length of time between new albums keeps getting longer, so at the current rate it will take another 30-40 years for this to happen.

But if you look at it in terms of years and not albums, they've now been making kinda shitty albums for as long as they made good ones, depending on how you feel about Avocado.

Pearl Jam only has 3 truly great albums, so they've been like that for a long time. Everything past Vitalogy has been varying shades of uneven, but they've all featured at least 4-6 really good to great songs.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 1:54 pm 
The Master

stip wrote:
guestT wrote:
StonyGold wrote:

Pearl Jam only has 3 truly great albums, so they've been like that for a long time. Everything past Vitalogy has been varying shades of uneven, but they've all featured at least 4-6 really good to great songs.

Trolling again I see.

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 2:06 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

stip wrote:
guestT wrote:
StonyGold wrote:

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 2:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
guestT wrote:
StonyGold wrote:

Stip's like a broken record. The No Code, Yield, Binaural run is one of the best I've heard, certainly the Ten through Riot Act run is my all time favorite of any band or artist.

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 3:40 pm 
The worst

It's my second favorite (REM has the best extended run of albums of any band). Those other albums are all quite good. It's just that the first three are all timers.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 4:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

stip wrote:
It's my second favorite (REM has the best extended run of albums of any band). Those other albums are all quite good. It's just that the first three are all timers.

I feel this way about Vitalogy through Binaural, which covers 4 albums, except that I am more of a fanboy. I would place those 4 at the tippy top of any album of any band, then Ten, Vs., s/t, and Riot Act all great albums in the mix of say my top 50 all time favorite, and Backspacer and Lightning Bolt as both very good but not on that sort of list.

I would put this in the unpopular music theories thread, but I still think Pearl Jam has not released a bad album yet.

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 4:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Ten > Riot Act remains one of the best runs of albums by any band ever. S/T is pretty good too, and there may be one album that is okay between BS and LB. Ruddo, are there any threads for that sort of thing?

Last edited by darth_vedder on Tue March 27, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 4:27 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

liebzz wrote:
I would put this in the unpopular music theories thread, but I still think Pearl Jam has not released a bad album yet.

You've got to remember that you're on RM, son. Views like that can get a man killed. *spits into spittoon*

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 5:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
(REM has the best extended run of albums of any band)

I finally agree with you on something.

PostPosted: Wed March 28, 2018 5:03 am 
Future Drummer

I mean Stip is right that Ten -> Vitalogy are so far above and beyond anything that came after that its not worth comparing. Like even saying Ten and Riot Act in the same breath is like...what?

That said I consider No Code and Yield great albums still even if lesser than what came before.

PostPosted: Wed March 28, 2018 5:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Literally right off the top of my head...

Sunburn
In the Moonlight
In My tree
Hitchhiker
Whale Song
Happy When I'm Crying
Help Help
Jeremy
Daughter
Sleight of Hand

PostPosted: Wed March 28, 2018 6:10 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

First ten songs of No Code

PostPosted: Wed March 28, 2018 6:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

darth_vedder wrote:
Ten > Riot Act remains one of the best runs of albums by any band ever. S/T is pretty good too, and there may be one album that is okay between BS and LB. Ruddo, are there any threads for that sort of thing?

Ten through Riot Act is very impressive, agreed (I'm with stip on REM being the benchmark as far as a band's consistency over a period of time). But PJ made seven great records in 11 years or so, with a bunch of interesting side projects and one-offs in between; that's a great run for any band to make.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam