The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: List your top ten standout PJ songs....
PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 9:28 pm 
A Return To Form

Anders wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:
Here's what it says in the cd cover: A stray tape found in the bottom of a box marked "Singles" yielded this peek into the band's early creative process. Here's Eddie and Stone trading ideas and rhythms, exploring their newly minted potential. The ideas still sound fresh today.

:( I guess we'll never know.

I feel like some of their best songs come from Ed and Stone sessions.

Absolutely. Those guys can create magic together.

I think the band admits that there was a power struggle between Ed and Stone in PJ20, until Ed sort of just took over. Oddly enough, their co-creativity is what made for amazing music. I'm going to take a shower now.

Yes. No one not in the band knows everything about it, but I think it's generally agreed that it was Stone that made the band (with the help of Mike and Jeff) and wrote the majority of the music for Ten and Vs, and sort of had final say on a lot of things. Of course Ed coming in and laying down lyrics, voice and his charisna, was massive, even then. The two of them made Daughter together, Ed played Small Town and Stone loved it, and wanted them to work on it the same day etc. Starting with Vitalogy however, Ed had a lot more say on the makeup of the album (and the band, making Stone fire Dave A), and even more with No Code. Before making Yield the band worked out some issues, and there was more of a full cooperation onwards from there. Now everyone brings in ideas, but if Ed doesn't like singing on a song, it doesn't make the album. He also gets more money than the others. Stone said he struggled a little bit with it during the making of Vitalogy, but then came to the conclusion that it was fine, and that he was lucky working with Ed. Jeff however nearly quit the band when they started No Code, as he had not been informed properly of when they were starting the studio work.

So this is the story that explains why Stone is secretly an asshole and how Ed essentially ruined the band post Binaural.

PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 9:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:
Here's what it says in the cd cover: A stray tape found in the bottom of a box marked "Singles" yielded this peek into the band's early creative process. Here's Eddie and Stone trading ideas and rhythms, exploring their newly minted potential. The ideas still sound fresh today.

I think the band admits that there was a power struggle between Ed and Stone in PJ20, until Ed sort of just took over. Oddly enough, their co-creativity is what made for amazing music. I'm going to take a shower now.

Yes. No one not in the band knows everything about it, but I think it's generally agreed that it was Stone that made the band (with the help of Mike and Jeff) and wrote the majority of the music for Ten and Vs, and sort of had final say on a lot of things. Of course Ed coming in and laying down lyrics, voice and his charisma, was massive, even then. The two of them made Daughter together, Ed played Small Town and Stone loved it, and wanted them to work on it the same day etc. Starting with Vitalogy however, Ed had a lot more say on the makeup of the album (and the band, making Stone fire Dave A), and even more with No Code. Before making Yield the band worked out some issues, and there was more of a full cooperation onwards from there. Now everyone brings in ideas, but if Ed doesn't like singing on a song, it doesn't make the album. He also gets more money than the others. Stone said he struggled a little bit with it during the making of Vitalogy, but then came to the conclusion that it was fine, and that he was lucky working with Ed. Jeff however nearly quit the band when they started No Code, as he had not been informed properly of when they were starting the studio work.

So this is the story that explains why Stone is secretly an asshole and how Ed essentially ruined the band post Binaural.

Don't think either are true, they just got older. Still, I do wish they had made some different choices with their albums. Always been happy to see them live.

PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 9:42 pm 
A Return To Form

Anders wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:

Yes. No one not in the band knows everything about it, but I think it's generally agreed that it was Stone that made the band (with the help of Mike and Jeff) and wrote the majority of the music for Ten and Vs, and sort of had final say on a lot of things. Of course Ed coming in and laying down lyrics, voice and his charisma, was massive, even then. The two of them made Daughter together, Ed played Small Town and Stone loved it, and wanted them to work on it the same day etc. Starting with Vitalogy however, Ed had a lot more say on the makeup of the album (and the band, making Stone fire Dave A), and even more with No Code. Before making Yield the band worked out some issues, and there was more of a full cooperation onwards from there. Now everyone brings in ideas, but if Ed doesn't like singing on a song, it doesn't make the album. He also gets more money than the others. Stone said he struggled a little bit with it during the making of Vitalogy, but then came to the conclusion that it was fine, and that he was lucky working with Ed. Jeff however nearly quit the band when they started No Code, as he had not been informed properly of when they were starting the studio work.

Don't think either are true, they just got older. Still, I do wish they had made some different choices with their albums. Always been happy to see them live.

LOL. I'm just fucking around. I just love that despite the tug-o-war, they respected each other and made some amazing music.

PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 9:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
Anders wrote:

LOL. I'm just fucking around. I just love that despite the tug-o-war, they respected each other and made some amazing music.

:mrgreen:

Rare really. Most of their peers are gone or done.

PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 10:15 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

THERE IS DEFINITELY BASS IN STRANGEST TRIBe

PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 10:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I can't hear any. But I'm sure Stone can handle a bass if needed.

PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 10:32 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

There's definitely bass starting around 1:17.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was played by Stone, it sounds a little clunky to be Jeff.

PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 10:36 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Anders wrote:

No wonder you hate "Get Right"; your ears are busted

PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 10:37 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Birds in Hell wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was played by Stone, it sounds a little clunky to be Jeff.

See I'd like it to be Ed. Are there any recorded instances of Ed playing bass on a Pearl Jam song?

NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:

:thumbsup: I thought it was just the guitar, but I'm sure you're right.

NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:
Anders wrote:

No wonder you hate "Get Right"; your ears are busted

That's rude. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 10:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

See I'd like it to be Ed. Are there any recorded instances of Ed playing bass on a Pearl Jam song?

But it says in the credits that it's only Stone on guitar. Bass is a guitar.

PostPosted: Sat March 24, 2018 11:03 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dissident
Alone
Corduroy
Immortality
Hard to Imagine
In My Tree
Given to Fly
In Hiding
Sleight of Hand
Force of Nature

PostPosted: Sun March 25, 2018 1:18 am 
AnalLog

In My Tree
Red Mosquito
Tremor Christ
Nothingman
No Way
Do the Evolution
Rival
Education
Help Help
Hard to Imagine

PostPosted: Sun March 25, 2018 1:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

master/slave
aye davanita
pry, to
stupid mop
i'm open
push me/pull me
The color red
hummus
writer's block
Arc

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun March 25, 2018 1:36 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Happy When I’m Crying
Tremor Christ
In My Tree
Last Exit
All Those Yesterday’s
Insignificance
Help Help
Sleight Of Hand
Hail Hail
Faithfull

PostPosted: Sun March 25, 2018 1:41 am 
Rank This Poster

darth_vedder wrote:
Happy When I’m Crying
Tremor Christ
In My Tree
Last Exit
All Those Yesterday’s
Insignificance
Help Help
Sleight Of Hand
Hail Hail
Faithfull

Really? What about it makes it stand out for you?

PostPosted: Sun March 25, 2018 1:42 am 
Rank This Poster

daft twat wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Happy When I’m Crying
Tremor Christ
In My Tree
Last Exit
All Those Yesterday’s
Insignificance
Help Help
Sleight Of Hand
Hail Hail
Faithfull

Really? What about Happy When I’m Crying makes it stand out for you?

PostPosted: Sun March 25, 2018 1:42 am 
Rank This Poster

daft twat wrote:
daft twat wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Happy When I’m Crying
Tremor Christ
In My Tree
Last Exit
All Those Yesterday’s
Insignificance
Help Help
Sleight Of Hand
Hail Hail
Faithfull

Really? What about Happy When I’m Crying makes it stand out for you?

Christ, I must be drunk.

PostPosted: Sun March 25, 2018 1:43 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

You keeping that under control?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam