The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Happened?
PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 5:15 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

LuNY wrote:
How do you know if Stone is enjoying things or not? Because of the photo of them from the stage after they bowed? It is just a split second expression on his face, why don't you youtube the very same show and watch him play the solo to Rocking in the Free World. The man seems to really love what he does. Your rant sucks in every way, when Ed couldn't care less* about the Grammy's.....it was years and years ago and the band was in competition with other bands for the award, Hall of Fame is something different all together. I am not going to waste my time going over your rant in total, most of this board is so jaded about PJ. The new album will be great like every album they ever made, they are great players with a great sound, it's just music. EVERY album has 4-8 fucking classics on it. Can't Deny Me reminds me of Grievance; the studio versions have Ed sounding exasperated in the versus, but when done live Ed is explosive and thunderous. The live debut of Can't Deny Me had me wishing he did the versus like that in the studio version, it sounded huge live. I like the way he sings the "meee" in the chorus, classic Ed. That's what Ed has done over the years, the contrast in delivery with Can't Deny Me throughout the song by Ed is well....Ed. Mike writing a song with no solo in it is also interesting, I think the album will be a cool one.

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 5:17 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

McParadigm wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
I get the vibe that OP doesn't like change.

Reads the opposite to me. Like, the whole point is people change, and the problem occurs when they refuse to let the music come along with them. You end up with these stilted old man impressions of people they remember but no longer are.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 5:39 am 
Gone

Pearl Jam sucks

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 5:42 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

verb_to_trust wrote:
nothing

Ahhhhh, that's better

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 5:49 am 
Gone

I just listened to this for the first time on YouTube and was scrolling though the comments and saw someone named Jon Tree posted basically the same long paragraph from the OP. Gotta respect the willingness to get his message out on multiple platforms I guess.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 5:55 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 5:57 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

What happened?

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 6:04 am 
Gone

Jon Tree is G.O.A.T.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 6:08 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

verb_to_trust wrote:
Jon Tree is G.O.A.T.

What does that stand for ?

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 6:25 am 
Gone

Greatest of all time

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 9:55 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It stands for goat

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 9:56 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The Can't Deny Me - Grievance comparison is baffling

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 1:43 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
It's been baffling to hear a truly uninspired song from them because I guess I wasn't willing to consider maybe they're not trying to do something inspired or delve into the depths of their own souls as I used to imagine they did, which they might have done in their good days..

Maybe they're out of ideas. Or maybe they just aren't inspired.

But let's not talk like everything Pearl Jam put out in the 90's was fucking profound. "Animal" is a guy counting to five and repeating the chorus over and over. He says the word "Spin" like 50 times in less than three minutes in Spin The Black Circle. So it's fine if you think Can't Deny Me sucks, cause it kinda does (I sorta like the chorus I have to admit), but spare me the "delve in the depth of their own souls" crap. It's just a rock band.

There was actual passion in Animal and Spin the Black Circle. You could feel they really meant it, and it meant something to the audience.

Also, I don't buy the 'out of ideas' or 'uninspired' claims because I know with the talents of this band, if they sat down and worked on intricate guitar parts, even if the chords were somewhat boring, interesting drum patterns, calm Ed down and come up with some unretarded lyrics, it would be pretty good.

Oh you want "Unretarded lyrics." I get it now.

I mean, come on, you can't critique a songwriter and suggest you'd prefer "Unretarded lyrics."

You're right, not a fair critique. I, personally, find the lyrics extremely boring and it seems to me he's pandering to the 'Left of the Day' in a rather unintelligent and uninteresting way.

Fair enough. And I gotta give you a little credit for being reasonable in your message board debate.

I dunno, maybe I've just gone through all of this criticizing of PJ's creativity already with The Fixer, which is a thousand times worse than Can't Deny Me, and is a complete embarrassment in every way. So for me, all I expect from new Pearl Jam albums anymore are four or five songs I like. So when this song dropped, I thought Eddie sounded horrible on the verses, and I liked the chorus (even though it's kinda cheesy). Nothing more and nothing less. And I've never been much of a lyric guy, but following Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, there's really no reason to expect good lyrics anymore anyway. "I come from a gene-e-ous, I am my father's son." Ugh.....

I get it. Harsh criticism of the band is new territory for me. I found a way to enjoy everything else when it came out. This Pay Attention to My Protest song just feels like the last straw. I had so much respect for the band as a kid and it's hard to shake it off. I'm the same with the Miami Dolphins. There's something wrong with my loyalty.

Hey I'm a Dolphins fan too! I love coming across people who suffer like I do.

Incredible. We are a special breed, eh?

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 1:52 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

LuNY wrote:
How do you know if Stone is enjoying things or not? Because of the photo of them from the stage after they bowed? It is just a split second expression on his face, why don't you youtube the very same show and watch him play the solo to Rocking in the Free World. The man seems to really love what he does. Your rant sucks in every way, when Ed couldn't care less* about the Grammy's.....it was years and years ago and the band was in competition with other bands for the award, Hall of Fame is something different all together. I am not going to waste my time going over your rant in total, most of this board is so jaded about PJ. The new album will be great like every album they ever made, they are great players with a great sound, it's just music. EVERY album has 4-8 fucking classics on it. Can't Deny Me reminds me of Grievance; the studio versions have Ed sounding exasperated in the versus, but when done live Ed is explosive and thunderous. The live debut of Can't Deny Me had me wishing he did the versus like that in the studio version, it sounded huge live. I like the way he sings the "meee" in the chorus, classic Ed. That's what Ed has done over the years, the contrast in delivery with Can't Deny Me throughout the song by Ed is well....Ed. Mike writing a song with no solo in it is also interesting, I think the album will be a cool one.

I don't know about Stone for sure. It's the impression I get. I could be wrong. Ed's acceptance of the award itself isn't the thing that bothers me, it's his overall self-reverence whilst in the past, in the days I'd consider to be their good days, he seemed to be more invested in the music and could care less about fame, which is something I always loved about him. By connecting these dots along with others, I wonder if his attitude is responsible for what appears to be less effort invested into creating good songs. Again, just a feeling and I could be wrong. I'm glad you still enjoy Pearl Jam so much and aren't jaded like me and so many others, and I hope the album turns out well.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 1:55 pm 
The Master

96583UP wrote:
wish they would do another album with neil young instead of all this crap

Have you heard neils recent output? and by recent i mean the last 10 years?

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 1:57 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:

I laughed.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 1:58 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
LuNY wrote:

I don't know about Stone for sure. It's the impression I get. I could be wrong. Ed's acceptance of the award itself isn't the thing that bothers me, it's his overall self-reverence whilst in the past, in the days I'd consider to be their good days, he seemed to be more invested in the music and could care less about fame, which is something I always loved about him. By connecting these dots along with others, I wonder if his attitude is responsible for what appears to be less effort invested into creating good songs. Again, just a feeling and I could be wrong. I'm glad you still enjoy Pearl Jam so much and aren't jaded like me and so many others, and I hope the album turns out well.

I think people put too much thought into the why's and how's.

They're just old man. 28 (?) years into their career. They had a great run. It happens to the best of bands if they dont break up or die during their glory days. They are just settled into doing their thing. Its now how i envisioned they'd age, but they did. Ive come around to it. Next album could change my view but ive stated im not keeping my hopes up for that.

The shows are still great.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 2:02 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I was worked up yesterday and went on a rant. Today, I feel like I could care less. Don't like this song at all and never want to hear it again. I hope the album's good.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 2:33 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

stip wrote:
it's about time we devote some RM real estate to this important discussion

This. Yawn.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 4:11 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Strat wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

I laughed.

The only thing I was comparing was how in the studio versions the delivery is not as intense, but live it's much more explosive with Ed using that distortion box in his throat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam