Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Re: Can't Deny Me (2017 Christmas Single)

Thu August 30, 2018 12:34 am

waves and love, together at last

themes kept apart for so long

Fri August 31, 2018 10:01 pm

stompbox wrote:I agree, the studio recording sucks, hated it from day 1. I saw three shows, my only request was to only hear this song once (but preferred not at all)..... I heard it in Seattle 2 and was kind of blown away at how good it was live.

I heard it again in Missoula and was happy to hear it. I did a complete 180. Ed banging on the cowbell, while seems real cheesy and gimmicky, gets him into an angry mood and it comes across really well.

That is not what I thought. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly but the sight of Eddie Vedder murdering what's left of his vocal chords, while looking like he's on the verge of having a stroke, while beating the living shit out of a cowbell, that, despite them being a stadium filling rock band, is for no apparent reason taped to a fucking chair, is a new peak for PRAMG Pearl Jam. Like, I'm starting to wonder if they are in on the joke now and are trolling us.

Fri August 31, 2018 10:55 pm

:D

Sat September 01, 2018 4:30 am

Im enjoying this one a lot these days specially with the live versions.

Tue September 11, 2018 3:48 pm

This was solid during Fenway 2. Enjoyed it more than many songs that night.

Wed September 12, 2018 1:54 am

this actually came into my head as i was wrapping up a lengthy session with the wet/dry vac

Fri September 14, 2018 11:37 pm

worldwithyourheart wrote:This was solid during Fenway 2. Enjoyed it more than many songs that night.

I did too chiefly because it was the first new song I've heard them perform live in obviously quite awhile. Still, Ed didn't play the cow bell drum thing, the other guy, that photographer did, so that sucked.

Even though I was in Ten Club seats, I was one of the few who knew the lyrics....that hasn't happen in a long time and I also enjoyed looking at people just staring and smiling and trying to understand what they were singing - no one knew whether it was a cover, old song they just didn't know, or what. Funny.

Sat September 15, 2018 12:10 am

CDM, insider's secret

the song sans cowbell with a better chorus and the rawer live guitar sound could be potable

Sat September 15, 2018 12:31 am

Theres actually some decent things going on with the guitars, especially in the second verse, but with classic pj mixing and mastering....it sounds fucking awful.

Sat September 15, 2018 12:38 am

Strat wrote:Theres actually some decent things going on with the guitars, especially in the second verse, but with classic pj* mixing and mastering....it sounds fucking awful.

Sat September 15, 2018 12:38 am

:waah:

Sat September 15, 2018 12:51 am

Ed is to blame for this one. the chorus is awful. he still can't escape his boogey-woogie-doo-dah-day lyrical styles

he likes cramming so many words into songs now, maybe he should just become a rapper

Sat September 15, 2018 12:53 am

96583UP wrote:Ed is to blame for this one. the chorus is awful. he still can't escape his boogey-woogie-doo-dah-day lyrical styles

he likes cramming so many words into songs now, maybe he should just become a rapper

Yea im not sure why the EV enjoys that so much.

Sat September 15, 2018 12:58 am

he should just outsource the whole process

have someone else write the lyrics and the notes with him in mind

then he shows up and sings it

instant return to form

lots of musicians have other people write songs for them

ed is ready for that at this stage in his career

i wouldn't think any less of him because it's mathematically impossible to be rated lower than negative infinity

Sat September 15, 2018 1:11 am

Or just go back to allowing the other guys* to write lyrics like they did on yield thru riot act.

* sans mike

Mon January 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Revisiting this bad song for the first time in a while

Mon January 13, 2020 6:00 pm

God this sucks

Mon January 13, 2020 6:21 pm

Is it going to be a part of the forthcoming album? Like they said two years ago?

Mon January 13, 2020 6:40 pm

VinylGuy wrote:Is it going to be a part of the forthcoming album? Like they said two years ago?

it will be forever on the lost last BO'B album....

BTW: reminder this news:

https://www.musicweek.com/publishing/read/hipgnosis-acquires-legendary-pearl-jam-bruce-springsteen-and-rage-against-the-machine-producer-brendan-o-brien-s-catalogue/078434

Maybe they didnt walk away from BO'B, but BO'B walked away from the business... ?

Mon January 13, 2020 7:33 pm

Pearl Jam denied Can’t Deny Me for the new album. Chew on that!
Post a reply