The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can't Deny Me (2017 Christmas Single)
PostPosted: Sat March 17, 2018 9:38 am 
AnalLog

When they released 'Lightning Bolt' Mike said it was the logical extension of Backspacer. In some ways he was right, and it was what I liked least about it.
I only like the songs where they tried something new. Basically only Jeff was trying something new.
CDM sounds like a 'logical extension' of Lightning Bolt. My fear is that it wil be the same step down as from BS to LB....

CDM get's me excited for the sole reason that it's new PJ. Too bad it sounds a bit like U2, or Foo Fighters or STP...just a bit flat and generic. They used to be soo much more than this.

PostPosted: Sat March 17, 2018 6:47 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Ok so I’ve listened to this like 20 more times.

I love the first 40 seconds. Matt’s drums sound cool, I dig that little typewriter effect and Ed sounds fucking great going all Cornell on it.

Unfortunately, the song continues from there. I really don’t like how the chorus downshifts at all and the lyrics are putrid. It’s pretty generic from there on out.

Also I hate that fucking artwork. Lame city.

Here’s hoping for bigger and bolder things!

This has been, “A still hardcore Pearl Jam fan is brutally honest about his feelings for the new single without sounding like a reactionary dipshit.”

PostPosted: Sat March 17, 2018 8:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

joostone wrote:
Too bad it sounds a bit like U2

Well I can’t unhear this.

PostPosted: Sat March 17, 2018 8:33 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

At least U2 tries.

PostPosted: Sat March 17, 2018 8:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bada wrote:
At least U2 tries.

Exactly why this comparison is so clarifying. It would be essentially the same song if it were their Boots-type opening salvo, except the production would almost certainly be better and the band would have tried more to gussy it up.

PostPosted: Sat March 17, 2018 10:42 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

This has no doubt grown on me, it certainly didn't make much of a first impression since it safety falls into one of their garage punk standards. Once you accept the format of the song, it sticks in my head ... like alot. I love Matt's opening drumbeat and that bell ring, and love love love the cowbell. Still do not like that bridge and I wanna hear more of Jeff's imprint.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 1:39 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

this song sucks ass and fortunately with the internet we have the ability to listen to other, better songs

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 5:05 am 
AnalLog

evenslow wrote:
Ok so I’ve listened to this like 20 more times.

I love the first 40 seconds. Matt’s drums sound cool, I dig that little typewriter effect and Ed sounds fucking great going all Cornell on it.

Unfortunately, the song continues from there. I really don’t like how the chorus downshifts at all and the lyrics are putrid. It’s pretty generic from there on out.

Also I hate that fucking artwork. Lame city.

Here’s hoping for bigger and bolder things!

This has been, “A still hardcore Pearl Jam fan is brutally honest about his feelings for the new single without sounding like a reactionary dipshit.”

Best case scenario, this is "The Fixer" of the new record.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 5:11 am 
Rank This Poster

Eddie sounds pretty great on this. If it weren't for the "you may be rich" line, there'd really be nothing here for me to complain about.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 3:16 pm 
AnalLog

After watching the live version and hearing its dedicated to the Florida kids, has me wondering if this wasn't literally written within the last few weeks. Which may explain lyrics that are so vague no one really knows what exactly they are talking about. I for one never got an anti-Trump vibe from the lyrics. Song still gives me more of a Pearl Jam / Riot Act era vibe than anything else. I don't hear SG or U2 at all.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 3:22 pm 
The Master

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
After watching the live version and hearing its dedicated to the Florida kids, has me wondering if this wasn't literally written within the last few weeks. Which may explain lyrics that are so vague no one really knows what exactly they are talking about. I for one never got an anti-Trump vibe from the lyrics. Song still gives me more of a Pearl Jam / Riot Act era vibe than anything else. I don't hear SG or U2 at all.

"Where's your vocabulary? Your ignorance is sinful" Is clearly a jab at Trump.

They did say it was recorded last month. I wonder if they put it out so quickly for the tour and to just make a statement along with the walk-outs etc. Maybe, just maybe, it might not actually be indicative of anything from the new album. Maybe.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 3:28 pm 
AnalLog

I like it.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 3:28 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:

They did say it was recorded last month. I wonder if they put it out so quickly for the tour and to just make a statement along with the walk-outs etc. Maybe, just maybe, it might not actually be indicative of anything from the new album. Maybe.

Those lines could be directed at all the people supporting the NRA/Republican Party in the gun debate. That idiot blonde that goes on rants, or any number of Fox News "reporters" Its just vague enough where it could be about anything and anyone, including the Koch brothers and Trump himself.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 3:30 pm 
The Master

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Strat wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:

Those lines could be directed at all the people supporting the NRA/Republican Party in the gun debate. That idiot blonde that goes on rants, or any number of Fox News "reporters" Its just vague enough where it could be about anything and anyone, including the Koch brothers and Trump himself.

This is Ed we are talking about. its definitely Trump.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 3:30 pm 
The Master

Not that you can't apply it to a number of other organizations and individuals but....the main target is for sure Trump.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 3:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Guys I’m pretty sure Ed is trying to write to the NRA and Republican party from a school shooting survivor’s POV.

“Now you want me to breathe and be so grateful for the air that I need,” seems like a clunky jab at people telling a survivor to step out of a debate. You almost died. You didn’t. Be glad and let us take it from here.

Got nothing, got nothing but the will to survive. You can't control, and you can't deny me.” I mean....

“Your lies are sick. They're sick and they're vile.” This would have been written at the height of the conspiracy theories about them being hired actors or etc.

“Try and talk down to me. My mind it ain't so simple.” Again duh.

The rest is mostly vague enough but I’m like 90% certain here.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 3:51 pm 
The Master

I like that

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 4:27 pm 
The Master

That was my impression of the song as well. The speed at which it was recorded and released supports that theory. I can also see why they wouldn't just come out and say it is dedicated to those students given their reluctance to stir the pot as of late.

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 4:31 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
Guys I’m pretty sure Ed is trying to write to the NRA and Republican party from a school shooting survivor’s POV.

“Now you want me to breathe and be so grateful for the air that I need,” seems like a clunky jab at people telling a survivor to step out of a debate. You almost died. You didn’t. Be glad and let us take it from here.

Got nothing, got nothing but the will to survive. You can't control, and you can't deny me.” I mean....

“Your lies are sick. They're sick and they're vile.” This would have been written at the height of the conspiracy theories about them being hired actors or etc.

“Try and talk down to me. My mind it ain't so simple.” Again duh.

The rest is mostly vague enough but I’m like 90% certain here.

Please don't forget that Eddie Vedder wrote these lyrics though

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 4:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

nvmd it’s about a surfboard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 84  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam