The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can't Deny Me (2017 Christmas Single)
PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 1:58 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I like the new song enough to get me exited about the new album. I like Matt´s drumming and the choice they made with the chorus and bridge. Its a cool song.

The lyrics are poor tough.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 2:02 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Production issues aside, I personally thought that S/T was a massive return to form. But it hasn't ushered in a new golden era for the band.

Backspacer I appreciated as an interesting change of pace, though it ranks as their worst studio album for me.

Lightning Bolt suffers from being the first PJ album to sound like it could have been recorded in the same sessions as its predecessor. It's slightly better than Backspacer, but in Future Days and Sleeping By Myself it features the first output by the band that I was genuinely embarrassed by.

I'm liking CDM a lot -but I still can't say I'm particularly optimistic about album 11. But if there are 4/5 strong tracks on it, and nothing that embarrasses the band further, that'll count as a pass from me.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 2:03 pm 
The worst

Trump lingers so large in this moment that an even more generalized set of lyrics (more generic protest) would have worked better. The lyrics would date less, and the target would be no less obvious.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 2:04 pm 
The worst

igotworms wrote:
Production issues aside, I personally thought that S/T was a massive return to form. But it hasn't ushered in a new golden era for the band.

Backspacer I appreciated as an interesting change of pace, though it ranks as their worst studio album for me.

Lightning Bolt suffers from being the first PJ album to sound like it could have been recorded in the same sessions as its predecessor. It's slightly better than Backspacer, but in Future Days and Sleeping By Myself it features the first output by the band that I was genuinely embarrassed by.

I'm liking CDM a lot -but I still can't say I'm particularly optimistic about album 11. But if there are 4/5 strong tracks on it, and nothing that embarrasses the band further, that'll count as a pass from me.

I love Sleeping By Myself. My third favorite song on that album. They've really got nothing else like it, and it's a surprising approach to the subject matter.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 2:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

stip wrote:
igotworms wrote:

I love Sleeping By Myself. My third favorite song on that album. They've really got nothing else like it, and it's a surprising approach to the subject matter.

SBM is one of the highlights of a particularly shitty album.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 2:56 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

stip wrote:

Ed did.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 3:00 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

The whole idea of SBM on a PJ album just pisses me off.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 3:00 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
I like the new song enough to get me exited about the new album...

As long as you're not constipated, here here.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 11:11 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I'm posting just to say that I've read this entire thread only to see that the 11th album thread is now up to 171 pages. Good analysis and back and forth. Not much more to add other than I think that MYM achieved what this song set out to do in a much more meaningful and effective way.

I'll be interested to see if the album is LB version 2.0 in tone/structure.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 4:32 am 
Posting (live)

PHATJ wrote:

Yep. Shoulda been a Xmas single.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 4:34 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I think it may be my very least favourite Pearl Jam studio recording.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 5:18 am 
The Master

Team SBM.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 5:26 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

LetMeSleep wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

I thought the new track was the xmas single to begin with!

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 5:39 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Fuzzcharger wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

I thought the new track was the xmas single to begin with!

I think they mean sleeping my myself

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 9:08 am 
Broken Tamborine

stip wrote:
igotworms wrote:

I love the Ukulele Songs original. Full-band version takes a simple lament and covers it in layers of cheese. In my opinion, of course. Looks like it's fairly popular on this board.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 9:30 am 
Posting (live)

igotworms wrote:
stip wrote:
igotworms wrote:

I love the Ukulele Songs original. Full-band version takes a simple lament and covers it in layers of cheese. In my opinion, of course. Looks like it's fairly popular on this board.

I got the opposite feeling of it's popularity here.

It's fine that it exists but it shouldn't have been on a PJ album.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 11:42 am 
The worst

why shouldn't it have been on a pearl jam album as opposed to a song like Around the Bend, for instance? Or Thin Air.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 12:48 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

On the flip-side of this "Sleeping By Myself shouldn't have been on a PJ album" discussion, I've always felt that if "Guaranteed" was a Pearl Jam song, it would have been a huge hit and pretty famous song. I wish "Just Breathe" was the Eddie solo song and "Guaranteed" was a Pearl Jam song...even if he played it solo like he does "Soon Forget"

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 3:28 pm 
It's happening. I let Can't Deny Me roll right into Lightning Bolt, and that album sounded sooo much better in comparison.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 6:29 pm 
Future Drummer

The first part of the chorus reminds me of Kokomo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 84  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam