Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Song of the Moment: Mankind

Fri December 28, 2012 5:07 pm

old thread archived here

Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind

Fri September 26, 2014 2:08 am

Something that I've wondered about this song, and no idea if it's been discussed before. The moment coming out of the bridge/solo at around 2:35... I've always thought that was actually Ed singing, impersonating Stone, up until the "What's got the whole world fakin" part.

Am I just hearing things?

Fri September 26, 2014 3:12 am

bodysnatcher wrote:Something that I've wondered about this song, and no idea if it's been discussed before. The moment coming out of the bridge/solo at around 2:35... I've always thought that was actually Ed singing, impersonating Stone, up until the "What's got the whole world fakin" part.

haha, i hear it, but it's definitely stone.

Fri September 26, 2014 3:14 am

I haven't read PJ20 so excuse me if this was clarified there. From my understanding Stone brought this in and Ed didn't want to sing on it. Was that because he thought the Stone vocals were great and he loved the track as it was, or did he refuse to sing on it but throw Stone a bone to have something on the album?

Fri September 26, 2014 4:11 am

Ed should try to sound like Stone nowadays. I think that'd be sweet.

Fri September 26, 2014 10:55 am

In 98, I was 21 and still desperately obsessed with Pearl Jam - so much so, that I went to two shows (Chicago and Minneapolis) with an ex-girlfriend. We had each bought fan club tickets before the breakup and were smart enough to see past our differences to attend both shows.

In Chicago I noticed a shitload of people holding up signs between songs. I hadn't been to many concerts before and had never seen that. We had 4th row tickets for Minneapolis, so I decided I would join the rest of the idiots. I wanted to hear Immortality, but what I really wanted was to be noticed by Eddie. The word "cringeworthy" is a favorite around here, and it fits now: my sign said "Play for Mankind" with an X through "for."

It worked! Eddie mumbled, "There's a guy up here with a sign." About 40 people lifted their signs. Then he acknowledged it and said, "This one's for you, fucker." Jeff seemed happiest about the situation. Ed went off to the side and smoked/danced. It was great. I am sure very few folks at Target Center appreciated it, but it's one of my favorite concert memories. I love that song, too. Always have. I just think it should not have been on the album. It would have been a great Who You Are b-side. People really wouldn't have known what the hell to expect from the forthcoming No Code then.

Fri September 26, 2014 3:00 pm

daft twat wrote:In 98, I was 21 and still desperately obsessed with Pearl Jam - so much so, that I went to two shows (Chicago and Minneapolis) with an ex-girlfriend. We had each bought fan club tickets before the breakup and were smart enough to see past our differences to attend both shows.

In Chicago I noticed a shitload of people holding up signs between songs. I hadn't been to many concerts before and had never seen that. We had 4th row tickets for Minneapolis, so I decided I would join the rest of the idiots. I wanted to hear Immortality, but what I really wanted was to be noticed by Eddie. The word "cringeworthy" is a favorite around here, and it fits now: my sign said "Play for Mankind" with an X through "for."

It worked! Eddie mumbled, "There's a guy up here with a sign." About 40 people lifted their signs. Then he acknowledged it and said, "This one's for you, fucker." Jeff seemed happiest about the situation. Ed went off to the side and smoked/danced. It was great. I am sure very few folks at Target Center appreciated it, but it's one of my favorite concert memories. I love that song, too. Always have. I just think it should not have been on the album. It would have been a great Who You Are b-side. People really wouldn't have known what the hell to expect from the forthcoming No Code then.

That was you? Thats awesome. Still one of my top pj shows ever. Still listen to the boot on occasion. Thanks for the sign! I remember dancing my face off then. I remember ed having a wildly good time during that song too.

Fri September 26, 2014 11:57 pm

spike wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:Something that I've wondered about this song, and no idea if it's been discussed before. The moment coming out of the bridge/solo at around 2:35... I've always thought that was actually Ed singing, impersonating Stone, up until the "What's got the whole world fakin" part.

I'm pretty sure Ed had his own voice mixed in during post production because Stone mentioned Dave A. at the Grammys.

Sat September 27, 2014 2:35 am

broken iris wrote:
spike wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ed had his own voice mixed in during post production because Stone mentioned Dave A. at the Grammys.

I can't wait for Stone to mention Dave A at the RRHoF induction.

Tue September 30, 2014 5:10 pm

this song is better than each song on lightning bolt

Tue September 30, 2014 11:30 pm

this song is a ripoff of Supersonic

Tue July 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Its pretty astonishing how bad Stone is singing this song live

Tue July 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Tue July 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Strat wrote:
daft twat wrote:In 98, I was 21 and still desperately obsessed with Pearl Jam - so much so, that I went to two shows (Chicago and Minneapolis) with an ex-girlfriend. We had each bought fan club tickets before the breakup and were smart enough to see past our differences to attend both shows.

That was you? Thats awesome. Still one of my top pj shows ever. Still listen to the boot on occasion. Thanks for the sign! I remember dancing my face off then. I remember ed having a wildly good time during that song too.

Almost 20 years later I'm still bummed that I missed this show. I was playing Legion baseball at the time and was at an out of state tournament during the show. It is the only MN PJ show I have missed since I was old enough to attend. That's an awesome memory, twat. I'm jealous.

Thu July 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Alex wrote:this song is better than each song on lightning bolt

True. Would be interesting to hear an Ed version though.

Thu July 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Anders wrote:

on guitar, right? needs more FEEL.

Thu July 20, 2017 3:18 pm

EJ wrote:
Anders wrote:

on guitar, right? needs more FEEL.

Of course, and then he should do a more passionate version of the Alive studio solo for the 30th anniversary release of Ten, so we can get the album we always dreamed of.

Thu July 20, 2017 3:26 pm

I never said he's better at playing solos than Stone.

Thu July 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Are you saying Don't Gimme No Lip?

Thu July 20, 2017 5:53 pm

:lol:
Post a reply