The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2012 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 29472
old thread archived here

_________________
*Led Zeppelin Mega Tournament: Click here*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Fri September 26, 2014 2:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 13325
Location: Seattle, WA
Something that I've wondered about this song, and no idea if it's been discussed before. The moment coming out of the bridge/solo at around 2:35... I've always thought that was actually Ed singing, impersonating Stone, up until the "What's got the whole world fakin" part.

Am I just hearing things?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Fri September 26, 2014 3:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 15971
bodysnatcher wrote:
Something that I've wondered about this song, and no idea if it's been discussed before. The moment coming out of the bridge/solo at around 2:35... I've always thought that was actually Ed singing, impersonating Stone, up until the "What's got the whole world fakin" part.

Am I just hearing things?

haha, i hear it, but it's definitely stone.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Fri September 26, 2014 3:14 am 
Online
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 17410
Location: Hunter
I haven't read PJ20 so excuse me if this was clarified there. From my understanding Stone brought this in and Ed didn't want to sing on it. Was that because he thought the Stone vocals were great and he loved the track as it was, or did he refuse to sing on it but throw Stone a bone to have something on the album?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Fri September 26, 2014 4:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri August 09, 2013 4:38 am
Posts: 2024
Ed should try to sound like Stone nowadays. I think that'd be sweet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Fri September 26, 2014 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:23 am
Posts: 1881
Location: The In Between
In 98, I was 21 and still desperately obsessed with Pearl Jam - so much so, that I went to two shows (Chicago and Minneapolis) with an ex-girlfriend. We had each bought fan club tickets before the breakup and were smart enough to see past our differences to attend both shows.

In Chicago I noticed a shitload of people holding up signs between songs. I hadn't been to many concerts before and had never seen that. We had 4th row tickets for Minneapolis, so I decided I would join the rest of the idiots. I wanted to hear Immortality, but what I really wanted was to be noticed by Eddie. The word "cringeworthy" is a favorite around here, and it fits now: my sign said "Play for Mankind" with an X through "for."

It worked! Eddie mumbled, "There's a guy up here with a sign." About 40 people lifted their signs. Then he acknowledged it and said, "This one's for you, fucker." Jeff seemed happiest about the situation. Ed went off to the side and smoked/danced. It was great. I am sure very few folks at Target Center appreciated it, but it's one of my favorite concert memories. I love that song, too. Always have. I just think it should not have been on the album. It would have been a great Who You Are b-side. People really wouldn't have known what the hell to expect from the forthcoming No Code then.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Fri September 26, 2014 3:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 31395
Location: Mountains
daft twat wrote:
In 98, I was 21 and still desperately obsessed with Pearl Jam - so much so, that I went to two shows (Chicago and Minneapolis) with an ex-girlfriend. We had each bought fan club tickets before the breakup and were smart enough to see past our differences to attend both shows.

In Chicago I noticed a shitload of people holding up signs between songs. I hadn't been to many concerts before and had never seen that. We had 4th row tickets for Minneapolis, so I decided I would join the rest of the idiots. I wanted to hear Immortality, but what I really wanted was to be noticed by Eddie. The word "cringeworthy" is a favorite around here, and it fits now: my sign said "Play for Mankind" with an X through "for."

It worked! Eddie mumbled, "There's a guy up here with a sign." About 40 people lifted their signs. Then he acknowledged it and said, "This one's for you, fucker." Jeff seemed happiest about the situation. Ed went off to the side and smoked/danced. It was great. I am sure very few folks at Target Center appreciated it, but it's one of my favorite concert memories. I love that song, too. Always have. I just think it should not have been on the album. It would have been a great Who You Are b-side. People really wouldn't have known what the hell to expect from the forthcoming No Code then.



That was you? Thats awesome. Still one of my top pj shows ever. Still listen to the boot on occasion. Thanks for the sign! I remember dancing my face off then. I remember ed having a wildly good time during that song too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Fri September 26, 2014 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Posts: 3076
Location: Death Machine Inc's HQ
spike wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Something that I've wondered about this song, and no idea if it's been discussed before. The moment coming out of the bridge/solo at around 2:35... I've always thought that was actually Ed singing, impersonating Stone, up until the "What's got the whole world fakin" part.

Am I just hearing things?

haha, i hear it, but it's definitely stone.



I'm pretty sure Ed had his own voice mixed in during post production because Stone mentioned Dave A. at the Grammys.

_________________
the sentinel remains vigilant


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Sat September 27, 2014 2:35 am 
Online
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 17410
Location: Hunter
broken iris wrote:
spike wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Something that I've wondered about this song, and no idea if it's been discussed before. The moment coming out of the bridge/solo at around 2:35... I've always thought that was actually Ed singing, impersonating Stone, up until the "What's got the whole world fakin" part.

Am I just hearing things?

haha, i hear it, but it's definitely stone.



I'm pretty sure Ed had his own voice mixed in during post production because Stone mentioned Dave A. at the Grammys.

I can't wait for Stone to mention Dave A at the RRHoF induction.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Tue September 30, 2014 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Fri August 16, 2013 6:36 pm
Posts: 10108
Location: Death Machine Inc's HQ
this song is better than each song on lightning bolt

_________________
No Fat Chicks


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Tue September 30, 2014 11:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 13325
Location: Seattle, WA
this song is a ripoff of Supersonic


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2017 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2116
Its pretty astonishing how bad Stone is singing this song live


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2017 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 13325
Location: Seattle, WA
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2017 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 7651
Location: Not NYC
Strat wrote:
daft twat wrote:
In 98, I was 21 and still desperately obsessed with Pearl Jam - so much so, that I went to two shows (Chicago and Minneapolis) with an ex-girlfriend. We had each bought fan club tickets before the breakup and were smart enough to see past our differences to attend both shows.

In Chicago I noticed a shitload of people holding up signs between songs. I hadn't been to many concerts before and had never seen that. We had 4th row tickets for Minneapolis, so I decided I would join the rest of the idiots. I wanted to hear Immortality, but what I really wanted was to be noticed by Eddie. The word "cringeworthy" is a favorite around here, and it fits now: my sign said "Play for Mankind" with an X through "for."

It worked! Eddie mumbled, "There's a guy up here with a sign." About 40 people lifted their signs. Then he acknowledged it and said, "This one's for you, fucker." Jeff seemed happiest about the situation. Ed went off to the side and smoked/danced. It was great. I am sure very few folks at Target Center appreciated it, but it's one of my favorite concert memories. I love that song, too. Always have. I just think it should not have been on the album. It would have been a great Who You Are b-side. People really wouldn't have known what the hell to expect from the forthcoming No Code then.



That was you? Thats awesome. Still one of my top pj shows ever. Still listen to the boot on occasion. Thanks for the sign! I remember dancing my face off then. I remember ed having a wildly good time during that song too.


Almost 20 years later I'm still bummed that I missed this show. I was playing Legion baseball at the time and was at an out of state tournament during the show. It is the only MN PJ show I have missed since I was old enough to attend. That's an awesome memory, twat. I'm jealous.

_________________
I'm just here for the tacos and beer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Thu July 20, 2017 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 3299
Location: Oslo, Norway
Alex wrote:
this song is better than each song on lightning bolt


True. Would be interesting to hear an Ed version though.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Thu July 20, 2017 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:15 pm
Posts: 5817
Anders wrote:
Alex wrote:
this song is better than each song on lightning bolt


True. Would be interesting to hear an Ed version though.

on guitar, right? needs more FEEL.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Thu July 20, 2017 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 3299
Location: Oslo, Norway
EJ wrote:
Anders wrote:
Alex wrote:
this song is better than each song on lightning bolt


True. Would be interesting to hear an Ed version though.

on guitar, right? needs more FEEL.

Of course, and then he should do a more passionate version of the Alive studio solo for the 30th anniversary release of Ten, so we can get the album we always dreamed of.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Thu July 20, 2017 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2116
I never said he's better at playing solos than Stone.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Thu July 20, 2017 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 3299
Location: Oslo, Norway
Are you saying Don't Gimme No Lip?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Mankind
PostPosted: Thu July 20, 2017 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 7651
Location: Not NYC
:lol:

_________________
I'm just here for the tacos and beer.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri December 15, 2017 12:22 am