The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: ITT: Mikejasond and StonyGold debate Riot Act
PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 2:07 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Image vs. Image

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

Post subject: Re: ITT: Mikejasond and StonyGold debate Riot Act
PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 2:29 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Can't Keep
Save You
Love Boat Captain
Cropduster
Ghost
I Am Mine
Thumbing My Way
You Are
Get Right
Green Disease
Help Help
Bu$hleaguer
1/2 Full
Arc
All Or None

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 2:47 am 
A Return To Form

The album is shite. *mic drop*

ETA:

*pics mic back up*

I hate on this album much more than it deserves, and it mainly has to do with where my mind was when this album came out some 16 odd years ago. My indifference toward the album was then further fueled by the political climate at the time. We all know Eddie's feelings toward the man that inspired Bu$hleaguer. I know that's not fair, but it's how I feel. Everything was just really bad timing for me, and the feeling just stuck ever since. I was entering young adulthood around that time and this band had gotten me through some tough times and I felt really let down.

As for the actual music: 1/2 Full was a the saving grace thanks to Mike, and probably the only song from this album that I would put on a playlist; I don't even know why Arc exists; I can't get past the chorus of LBC, even thought the song is nicely composed; I Am Mine is a good song, but the lyrics are shallow... and the rest is just sub par. Again, this can all be attributed to my general mindset when RA came out, and could have well tainted my opinion.

Last edited by StonyGold on Fri January 26, 2018 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 3:06 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Crapduster

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 3:10 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Pant Seep
Save Poo
Love Boat Craptain
Crapduster
Grosst
I Am Fine
Plumbing My Way
Poi Are
Get Tight
Green Disease
Help Help
Pushleaguer
1/2 Full
Arc
All Or None

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 3:13 am 
A Return To Form

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Pant Seep
Save Poo
Love Boat Craptain
Crapduster
Grosst
I Am Fine
Plumbing My Way
Poi Are
Get Tight
Green Disease
Help Help
Pushleaguer
1/2 Full
Arc
All Or None

I love you, boo.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 3:15 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

StonyGold wrote:
I don't even know why Arc exists;

some might posit

https://fivevs1.wordpress.com/page/7/

Quote:
For a song just barely over a minute in length, “Arc” caused its share of controversy in 2003, when it was excised from the officially released bootlegs which would have otherwise featured it. Louder than the disapproval shown by the foregoing of Ed’s occasional pre-opener sets, was the clamor and debate about completism, posterity, etc. But Vedder’s wordless vocal hymn of mourning for the nine human beings who died during the band’s performance at the 2000 Roskilde Festival was carefully played nine times, and out of respect for those individuals, the band chose to leave their performances in the hushed air of the halls and stadiums where thousands of fans gave witness to Vedder’s public/private act of elegy. I was there in Chicago, and watched Ed set up his cadre of equipment, layering his vocals somewhat in the manner he’d been experimenting with and perfecting for years, also echoing his work with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and heard something quite different than the composed version of Riot Act. In the open air, in real time, with thousands of other souls standing, shifting, coughing, talking, breathing, and one individual small in the distance, stooping over a clutch of machines, trying to get it right, “Arc” was less about the song itself, and more about the gesture, the ritual, the act, the inverse of a riot.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 3:21 am 
A Return To Form

96583UP wrote:
StonyGold wrote:

some might posit

Quote:
For a song just barely over a minute in length, “Arc” caused its share of controversy in 2003, when it was excised from the officially released bootlegs which would have otherwise featured it. Louder than the disapproval shown by the foregoing of Ed’s occasional pre-opener sets, was the clamor and debate about completism, posterity, etc. But Vedder’s wordless vocal hymn of mourning for the nine human beings who died during the band’s performance at the 2000 Roskilde Festival was carefully played nine times, and out of respect for those individuals, the band chose to leave their performances in the hushed air of the halls and stadiums where thousands of fans gave witness to Vedder’s public/private act of elegy. I was there in Chicago, and watched Ed set up his cadre of equipment, layering his vocals somewhat in the manner he’d been experimenting with and perfecting for years, also echoing his work with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and heard something quite different than the composed version of Riot Act. In the open air, in real time, with thousands of other souls standing, shifting, coughing, talking, breathing, and one individual small in the distance, stooping over a clutch of machines, trying to get it right, “Arc” was less about the song itself, and more about the gesture, the ritual, the act, the inverse of a riot.

I'm aware of the Rockslide tragedy, but not aware that Arc was a tribute. Absolutely worthy of respect.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 3:22 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 3:29 am 
A Return To Form

96583UP wrote:
Spoiler: show

Well that was condescending, but duly noted.

When one dislike something, it's kind of hard to find the energy to dig further as a means to convince oneself otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 3:43 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

pace yourself for the main event

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 3:57 am 
A Return To Form

96583UP wrote:
pace yourself for the main event

If the main event has to do with with Mikejasond schooling on why Riot Act doesn't deserve the hate, then my answer is probably going to be as simple as "Yeah, well, that's just your opinion, man."

They have stronger albums, and it all comes down to personal taste. It was a miss from me. I feel like I'm being hazed or something. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 5:33 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Welcome to hell.

Also, Riot Act has some great moments, though it’s far from my favorite PJ album.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 5:38 am 
mXn

I am a legit fan of...

Cropduster
I Am Mine
Thumbing My Way
You Are
1/2 Full
All Or None

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 5:44 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I’m a legit fan of...

Can’t Keep
Cropduster
You Are
Get Right
Help Help
1/2 Full
All or None

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 5:58 am 
Rank This Poster

Cropduster
Help Help
Save You
Love Boat Captain
Ghost
Green Disease
You Are
Get Right
Can't Keep
I Am Mine
All Or None
Bu$hleaguer
Thumbing My Way
Arc
1/2 Full

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 7:12 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

StonyGold wrote:
96583UP wrote:
StonyGold wrote:

some might posit

Quote:

I'm aware of the Rockslide tragedy, but not aware that Arc was a tribute. Absolutely worthy of respect.

Roskilde, not Rockslide. Love Boat Captain is also a tribute. "Lost nine friends we'll never know, two years ago today"

I'll never forget.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 7:18 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

RIP Rockslide

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 2:57 pm 
A Return To Form

Isn't there an internet rule that when you can't contribute any further arguments you start correcting their spelling and grammar?

Educate me on certain things I may not know. I welcome it because I like to learn. But please keep pettiness out of the conversation. We're all Pearl Jam fans here.

96, thank you for filling me in on the intent behind Arc. I appreciate it, and I learned something I did not know before.

As I stated in the thread that lead us here, I have a love/hate relationship with LBC and don't outright hate it, regardless of the meaning behind the words. I think 1/2 Full is their strongest song and worthy of praise. Unfortunately, the rest of the album does nothing for me regardless of what inspired it.

Perhaps I came on too strong with the whole "Riot Act is a shit album" thing and for that I apologize. I was being an ass. But that still doesn't negate the fact that I think it's their weakest album and that I don't care much for it regardless of what inspired it. Those who disagree with me may think Backspacer is their weakest, and I'll argue that it's superior to Riot Act. Hell, I'd go as far as saying "The End" is more compelling than all the songs on RA combined. It's just personal taste.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 3:16 pm 
mXn

Ahhh... this takes me back to the days of backpedaling on like at least a third of my posts. RIP old board.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam