The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Pearl Jam's first contract with Epic
PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2013 1:56 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Heathen wrote:
Maybe I should exclude Ten from this reasoning because I guess they weren't specifically trying to become the biggest band in the word at that time

Well Jeff and Stone were and this is something again that is brushed over in PJ20 - how the band actually got signed. "um oh yeah we recorded songs over 6 days and then played a show on the seventh um day". Is there any good coverage of this? Two feet thick or the PJ20 book? I assume Jeff and Stone had pretty good contacts but what were the details of the contract? "Oh hi unknown singer here's a seven album deal five months after you joined a band called Mookie Blaylock". What kind of pressure was on them? In retrospect it all seems a little too easy and storybook - this is the label that had Michael Jackson, Gloria Estefan, Luther Vandross and Celine Dion on its books.. The only thing I can see is about the Mookie Blaylock issue. I recall some issues with getting out of the Polydor contract but I can't seem to find anything about this.

I'm not trying to suggest any conspiracy theory, but I would like a bit more detail.

Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's first contract with Epic
PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2013 2:26 pm 
AnalLog

Well...there is no conspiracy...the story is really simple actually...

the key here is: Michael Goldstone who worked for Polygram for which he signed 'Mother Love Bone'. Then two things happened. Andy Wood died and he moved to Epic records. It's likely that he and Stone stayed in touch and when Stone had a new band M Goldstone signed this new band directly with Epic.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2013 6:24 pm 
The Master

There is more detail/story in the Pj20book. Cool stuff.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2013 6:29 pm 
A Return To Form

Strat wrote:
There is more detail/story in the Pj20book. Cool stuff.

I really need to read the non-No Code portions of that book.

The story I always heard was that when Wood died, there was an open door for Stone and Jeff's next effort.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2013 8:42 pm 

joostone wrote:

the key here is: Michael Goldstone who worked for Polygram for which he signed 'Mother Love Bone'. Then two things happened. Andy Wood died and he moved to Epic records. It's likely that he and Stone stayed in touch and when Stone had a new band M Goldstone signed this new band directly with Epic.

Thanks - upset that there is no conspiracy. I'll dig out the PJ20 book.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2013 8:47 pm 
Banned from the Pit

They did follow Michael Goldstone to Sony/Epic. Jeff and Stone were signed as individuals to Polygram, and both Goldstone and M. Anthony had to do a lot of wrangling to get them out. The upshot was that Sony had to buy them out, and hope to recoup it down the track. Never underestimate M. Anthony, either, his Dad, Dee Anthony was a huge head in the biz before his son.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 3:30 am 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

That PJ20 book is awesome. Grunge is Dead by Greg? Prato is real good too. I think there is some detail about it in there.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 5:42 am 
Future Drummer

Corporate Rock Whores

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 12:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

Blenheim Augustine wrote:
joostone wrote:

Thanks - upset that there is no conspiracy. I'll dig out the PJ20 book.

lol weird

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 4:44 pm 
AnalLog

phantomanddevil wrote:
They did follow Michael Goldstone to Sony/Epic. Jeff and Stone were signed as individuals to Polygram, and both Goldstone and M. Anthony had to do a lot of wrangling to get them out. The upshot was that Sony had to buy them out, and hope to recoup it down the track. Never underestimate M. Anthony, either, his Dad, Dee Anthony was a huge head in the biz before his son.

M Anthony is for Michele Anthony, the daughter of Dee, Dee never had a son

PostPosted: Sun March 31, 2013 4:02 pm 
Banned from the Pit

MattA75 wrote:
phantomanddevil wrote:

Oops! My bad. Wasn't thinking!

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2013 12:59 am 
Mind Your Tanners

There's interviews where they discuss it, I think Stone got them a deal but there was some difficulty getting Stone and Jeff out of their previous deal with Mother Love Bone and that held it up or something.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 11:28 pm 

MattA75 wrote:
phantomanddevil wrote:

Damn...I had this image of Michael Anthony partaking in the signing of Pearl Jam, too. :(

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam