Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Re: What is the worst thing Pearl Jam has ever done?

Wed November 22, 2017 4:41 pm

McParadigm wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:I'm down with this. All the other stuff -- playing it safe as entertainers, running out of juice creatively, etc. -- is disappointing but ultimately not important. But treating your customers poorly sucks

It really comes down to how you most interact with the band. If you don't need to see them live again, don't care about repackagings of old ideas, prefer studio inventiveness to live energy, and don't care at all for merch...then the opposite is true.

The Ebeneezering going on at the club is alternately baffling/amusing (sort of like "borrowing Ed's boots" stories), but it has literally never impacted me. The lack of creative engagement by the band, however, ultimately represents (or produces) the severing of an emotional communication that used to matter to me quite a lot.

Very well said. :thumbsup:

Wed November 22, 2017 5:27 pm

EJ wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:I'm down with this. All the other stuff -- playing it safe as entertainers, running out of juice creatively, etc. -- is disappointing but ultimately not important. But treating your customers poorly sucks

It really comes down to how you most interact with the band. If you don't need to see them live again, don't care about repackagings of old ideas, prefer studio inventiveness to live energy, and don't care at all for merch...then the opposite is true.

The Ebeneezering going on at the club is alternately baffling/amusing (sort of like "borrowing Ed's boots" stories), but it has literally never impacted me. The lack of creative engagement by the band, however, ultimately represents (or produces) the severing of an emotional communication that used to matter to me quite a lot.

Very well said. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Wed November 22, 2017 7:38 pm

If you are a grown man who pays for a rock band fan club membership, you deserve the abuse

Wed November 22, 2017 11:14 pm

theplatypus wrote:If you are a grown man who pays for a rock band fan club membership, you deserve the abuse

No.
theplatypus wrote:If you are a young woman who pays for a rock band fan club membership, you deserve the abuse

theplatypus wrote:If you are an asian who pays for a rock band fan club membership, you deserve the abuse

theplatypus wrote:If you like sports and pay for a rock band fan club membership, you deserve the abuse

No.

Wed November 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Yes

Wed November 22, 2017 11:22 pm

With everything this band has said about how fan clubs should be run, it's shameful that they can't do better. Doesn't matter what gender, age or ethnicity you have.

Wed November 22, 2017 11:35 pm

but what if you are a young asian woman that loves sports and has a rock band membership, what then

Wed November 22, 2017 11:38 pm

96583UP wrote:but what if you are a young asian woman that loves sports and has a rock band membership, what then

Then you are a demographic of one.

Wed November 22, 2017 11:39 pm

And you deserve the abuse.

Wed November 22, 2017 11:47 pm

thanks for confirming. a couple more questions:

- gay black jewish lesbian transvestite that loves sports and has a rock band membership

- mulatto vegan hare krishna with a foot fetish that hates sports and has a rock band membership

- obese albino pattern-baldness aborigine cis heterosexual male who gambles on sports and has a rock band membership

Thu November 23, 2017 6:55 am

No.

But that Asian girl that loves sports and Pearl Jam, can call me.

Sun November 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Unsure between these two:

Failing to stop ed from smoking

Interacting with attention seeking fans during the show

Sun November 26, 2017 4:21 pm

I'm trying to decide between the following candidates:

- Not going all the way with the experiment of Binaural.

- Watering down their collective creative juice by not working harder to achieve a new sound as a band, rather than polishing up solo demos with slight adornment. And BOB feeds right into all of that.

- The mastering of S/T.

- Rock Around Barack.

But I probably gotta go with The Fixer video/abomination/my eyes are still bleeding.

Sun November 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Not quit after Rosklide.

Sun November 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Finding the path of least resistance

Mon November 27, 2017 3:01 am

having children

Mon November 27, 2017 5:50 am

theplatypus wrote:If you are a grown man who pays for a rock band fan club membership, you deserve the abuse

Fair, but "Ten Club" encompasses all Pearl Jam's business and customer service dealings, not just the fan club.

I've bought maybe 4-5 CD's from them in the past five years -- just infrequently enough for the lesson I learned the last time to fade from memory...

Mon November 27, 2017 5:53 am

Come on, that was definitely not "fair"

Mon November 27, 2017 10:10 pm

The "bootleg CD" from 12/31/92 they released to the 10C for preordering avocado. I was hoping it was a real vault show, soundboard, complete, etc... but it was an incomplete copy of an audience recording they edited to suit their needs (ie sell records). Incredibly disappointing and a precursor to what has followed.

Tue November 28, 2017 6:06 pm

nomorecrackpipes wrote:The "bootleg CD" from 12/31/92 they released to the 10C for preordering avocado. I was hoping it was a real vault show, soundboard, complete, etc... but it was an incomplete copy of an audience recording they edited to suit their needs (ie sell records). Incredibly disappointing and a precursor to what has followed.

Plus the sound quality was awful.
Post a reply