The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is the worst thing Pearl Jam has ever done?
PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2017 6:36 pm 
Future Drummer

XWayne wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
It's not a single moment or decision, but I would say the gradual shift from conducting their business as artists to entertainers. It happened around 2006 or so.

I was thinking of the cease & desist against TVM (The Video Mission) and TSIS back in 2002, following the release of Birdman sessions.

http://www.blackredyellow.com/bryforums ... been-sued/

They started working against their fans (who released and spread videos and bootlegs), involving lawyers. For me it started going downhill from there.

Interesting, didn't know about this.

PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2017 7:24 pm 
AnalLog

This may seem silly, but for me it's the editing of old tunes they've done. Specifically "Oh Beth" in MTV Unplugged & changing the line in Who You Are. Just baffling to me.

And I'm not even that mad about the Lost Dogs re-recording, that is at least somewhat defensible even if I don't love it.

PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2017 8:03 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

They got old.

PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2017 8:06 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
They got old.

Only in age...

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2017 8:28 pm 
Future Drummer

swan wrote:
This may seem silly, but for me it's the editing of old tunes they've done. Specifically "Oh Beth" in MTV Unplugged & changing the line in Who You Are. Just baffling to me.

I believe the "Who You Are" thing was not a revision, but the accidental use of an earlier mix.

PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2017 8:42 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I'm pretty certain that "zombie head pyramid" should be mentioned at least once in this thread

PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2017 11:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Oracle Appreciation Event

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2017 11:55 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Monkey_Driven wrote:
EJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
It's not a single moment or decision, but I would say the gradual shift from conducting their business as artists to entertainers. It happened around 2006 or so.

I agree with that in general. But, I think the shift started in 2003.

I could hear the argument for 2005.

This came out that year, and doesn’t seem to have helped matters.

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/co ... andy_x.htm

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 12:41 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Considering how politically active the band has been since the beginning of their career, it was pretty shameful that they were mostly silent during the run-up to the 2016 US presidential election. Remember: Eddie spent most of the 2000 tour arguing that there would be no discernible difference between George W. Bush and Al Gore. I have no doubt that we'll see some "politically charged" songs in the future, but it's going to ring pretty hollow.

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 12:56 am 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Considering how politically active the band has been since the beginning of their career, it was pretty shameful that they were mostly silent during the run-up to the 2016 US presidential election. Remember: Eddie spent most of the 2000 tour arguing that there would be no discernible difference between George W. Bush and Al Gore. I have no doubt that we'll see some "politically charged" songs in the future, but it's going to ring pretty hollow.

Why? He said a lot of anti trump shit throughout the past couple years leading up. Why would saying anything again/now ring it hollow?

i was only a little surprised he was fully giving a ringing endorsement to someone else but...?

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 1:01 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Strat wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Why? He said a lot of anti trump shit throughout the past couple years leading up. Why would saying anything again/now ring it hollow?

i was only a little surprised he was fully giving a ringing endorsement to someone else but...?

Maybe I'm over-reacting based on the shows I went to in 2016. In Boston Ed said, "No matter how you vote, just make sure to vote." Then he went on to discuss legalizing pot. It feeds into what a lot of people are discussing in this thread: the band trying to entertain as opposed to pushing envelopes and buttons.

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 1:15 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

yeah i remember one of the fenway shows early he said something directed at trump then later in the show apologized saying he didnt want to be 'divisive' ... i get the sense they have gotten so big with so many corporate intertanglings that they just deliberately don't overtly rock the political boat anymore ... who knows, maybe something happened behind the scenes too that caused them to be more quiet about it ... but, to give them the benefit of the doubt, i could see it justified along the lines of 'we know our fans mean well and we don't want to upset or alienate the politically ignorant ones and send them in a bad direction / so let's just try and focus on the positive goals in non-candidate/party related terms' ... things like Global Citizen ... where it's basically implied ... and not like PJ plays in red states anymore anyways

that said, eddie solo in Europe seemed to unleash on trump with no filter

so maybe its just a function of the band having more sponsors connected to them when they are in the states... like fancy baseball owners and NASCAR board members and such

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 1:16 am 
known prankster

You must have missed Eddie changing the lyrics to "Heil heil the lucky ones I refer to those who Trump"

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 1:20 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i did. a scathing rebuke, indeed

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 4:26 am 
tl;dr

cutuphalfdead wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I say this with 100% sincerity: Ten Club business practices and customer support.

To expand upon this: They become creatively bankrupt yet still have a legion of loyal fans. Their reward? $15 to ship an envelope of stickers and an attitude of complete contempt when the customer complains it arrived damaged.

I'm down with this. All the other stuff -- playing it safe as entertainers, running out of juice creatively, etc. -- is disappointing but ultimately not important. But treating your customers poorly sucks.

There was also that time that Eddie dropped his guitar so his tech couldn't get it -- that was pretty crappy.

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 4:35 am 
A Return To Form

96583UP wrote:
Oracle Appreciation Event

Yup.

And I love this:
(even his snare sounds like a tom)

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 5:46 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Hiatus

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 12:19 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Sirens

Completely unforgivable.

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 3:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

Kevin Davis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I say this with 100% sincerity: Ten Club business practices and customer support.

To expand upon this: They become creatively bankrupt yet still have a legion of loyal fans. Their reward? $15 to ship an envelope of stickers and an attitude of complete contempt when the customer complains it arrived damaged.

I'm down with this. All the other stuff -- playing it safe as entertainers, running out of juice creatively, etc. -- is disappointing but ultimately not important. But treating your customers poorly sucks.

There was also that time that Eddie dropped his guitar so his tech couldn't get it -- that was pretty crappy.

I agree with this.

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 4:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'm down with this. All the other stuff -- playing it safe as entertainers, running out of juice creatively, etc. -- is disappointing but ultimately not important. But treating your customers poorly sucks

It really comes down to how you most interact with the band. If you don't need to see them live again, don't care about repackagings of old ideas, prefer studio inventiveness to live energy, and don't care at all for merch...then the opposite is true.

The Ebeneezering going on at the club is alternately baffling/amusing (sort of like "borrowing Ed's boots" stories), but it has literally never impacted me. The lack of creative engagement by the band, however, ultimately represents (or produces) the severing of an emotional communication that used to matter to me quite a lot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam