The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Rate Once
5 Stars 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
4 Stars 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
3 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 Stars 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Re: Live Versions: Once
PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 12:54 am 
Major Dude

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

All it needs is Dave A.

Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Once
PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 2:44 am 
tl;dr

knee tunes wrote:
ya know what, I like the idea of this live versions of a song thread a frickin'lot. it's true--a live versions of each song is TOTALLY different than just the song thread. the song itself thread is kind of boring. the live versions thread is going to be so cool. I support mikejavkarn's idea. it is not clutter, it is going to be exciting. separate this mother hubbard

I like the idea too and would participate, but agree that a thread for every song would get hard to manage. How about a single "live song of the moment" thread, changing the song in the thread title every few days as the conversation evolves?

PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 2:50 am 
The Master

Guys, why is it so fucking hard to just talk about all things Once - live, studio, musicianship, tunings, guitars used, drummers approach, etc.... all in the "Song of the moment: once" thread?

Why is this a challenge for some?

PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 3:12 am 
Rank This Poster

This song's gotta have Eddie sounding like he's going fuckin' crazy.

Post subject: Re: Live Versions: Once
PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 3:25 am 
Rank This Poster

mikejasond wrote:
I dont get why we have a separate topic for lets actually listen, the major flaw, the best song, etc, on each album, but we cant have a topic for best live version of a song or discussing live versions of a song

This is just a really vague topic. What makes a live version the best version? All the discussion would just devolve into SotM type discussion. What you want here, "best live version of a song," is really only conceivable in a kind of tournament setup similar to March Madness, with a few choices of versions to choose from for each song. Simply discussing live versions of songs can easily be done in the SotM threads without having to clutter shit up. You just post a video of a live version of song, say what you think about it, and at the end of the post ask a question. Maybe some people will reply to your question and then you'll discuss for a few posts and move on. Then do the same thing in another SotM thread, and so on, and so on. This would keep SotM discussion going, something I always like to see.

PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 6:52 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I was listening to the original demo (i.e. the one on the momma/son tape) of 'once' the other day and it really sucks. I am really glad it evolved into what it is, cos it it a cool song. I particularly like the random extended jam in the middle that happened a few times around 93.

Also, this song was often used near the end of the set - including in 98 when I saw them - and I never thought is really worked. I like it better towards the start of the set.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 7:03 am 
10Club Complaint Department

One of my favourite Pearl Jam songs and I'm fortunate to have heard it most of the times I've seen them.

The Adelaide 1 2006 version was particularly great, Ed had some real growl in his voice during that performance.

PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 3:30 pm 
tl;dr

Strat wrote:
Guys, why is it so fucking hard to just talk about all things Once - live, studio, musicianship, tunings, guitars used, drummers approach, etc.... all in the "Song of the moment: once" thread?

Why is this a challenge for some?

New threads every once in a while shouldn't be that big of a deal; they can structure and drive discussion in a way that just bumping an existing thread with your random thoughts on a particular subject on any given day does not. I certainly appreciate not wanting the board to be overrun with hundreds of DOA threads of limited utility (which is exactly how individual threads for every concert, or duplicate SOTM threads for live versions, would end up), but the constant hand-wringing over "board clutter" feels little dramatic sometimes. Wanting to instigate an ongoing dialogue about each song's live versions doesn't seem at all unreasonable to me, and my one-thread suggestion would be a lot tidier than MJD creating new threads for each song or even bumping all the old SOTM threads.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam