The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2012 5:04 pm 
Online
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 29546
old thread archived here

_________________
*Led Zeppelin Mega Tournament: Click here*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:09 am 
Online
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2667
I had never read that history of smile post by Dennis from the Frogs... Wow. I knew Red Mosquito and Off He Goes were rip offs musically, but basically a whole song borrowed? :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:12 am 
Online
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 9063
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Never been a big fan. Kinda disappointed when I've gotten it live.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Bi_3 wrote:
I had never read that history of smile post by Dennis from the Frogs... Wow. I knew Red Mosquito and Off He Goes were rip offs musically, but basically a whole song borrowed? :(

Wasn't it more akin to a tribute to a friend?

Dennis wrote a song.
His brother essentially paraphrased it by surreptitiously writing lyrics in Ed's notebook.
Ed eventually used those lyrics for Smile and credited them.

Unless I'm missing something, what exactly is the problem?

_________________
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Well fuckhead,


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 1940
The music was written by Jeff.

The lyrics were written by Jimmy & Dennis Flemion and Eddie.

Dennis is credited in the vinyl notes but not the CD for some reason.

He is probably officially credited somewhere in the BMI/ASCAP database because he did receive songwriting royalties for it, though the amount was paltry. (We are talking about "No Code".)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1335
Location: CT
wease wrote:
Never been a big fan. Kinda disappointed when I've gotten it live.


Do you say "no" every time eddie asks "don't it make you smile?"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2117
I like it but it feels unfinished - bad lyrics (almost no lyrics). But cool music.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31473
Location: this field intentionally left blank
This has catapulted its way from mid-range to top-tier for me over the last week or so. I love it now. So much.

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
If earth were a sphere, it would be impossible for any of us to stay grounded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 10798
mikejasond wrote:
I like it but it feels unfinished - bad lyrics (almost no lyrics). But cool music.

The lyrics are fantastic.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:20 am 
Online
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2667
evenslow wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
I had never read that history of smile post by Dennis from the Frogs... Wow. I knew Red Mosquito and Off He Goes were rip offs musically, but basically a whole song borrowed? :(

Wasn't it more akin to a tribute to a friend?

Dennis wrote a song.
His brother essentially paraphrased it by surreptitiously writing lyrics in Ed's notebook.
Ed eventually used those lyrics for Smile and credited them.

Unless I'm missing something, what exactly is the problem?


Maybe I misread it... But it sounded like they played Ed a complete song, "this is how I feel", wrote a few lines from that in Ed's notebook, and some time later a lyrically and musically clone was born.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:23 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5541
Straight from the Frog's mouth:
http://jimmyflemion.tumblr.com/post/334 ... how-i-feel


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Bi_3 wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
I had never read that history of smile post by Dennis from the Frogs... Wow. I knew Red Mosquito and Off He Goes were rip offs musically, but basically a whole song borrowed? :(

Wasn't it more akin to a tribute to a friend?

Dennis wrote a song.
His brother essentially paraphrased it by surreptitiously writing lyrics in Ed's notebook.
Ed eventually used those lyrics for Smile and credited them.

Unless I'm missing something, what exactly is the problem?


Maybe I misread it... But it sounded like they played Ed a complete song, "this is how I feel", wrote a few lines from that in Ed's notebook, and some time later a lyrically and musically clone was born.

Couldn't have been a musical clone b/c Jeff wrote the music.

_________________
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Well fuckhead,


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:09 pm 
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:57 pm
Posts: 68
Birds in Hell wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
I like it but it feels unfinished - bad lyrics (almost no lyrics). But cool music.

The lyrics are fantastic.



agreed...fantastic


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:26 pm 
Online
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 9063
Location: Where everybody knows your name
dprival78 wrote:
wease wrote:
Never been a big fan. Kinda disappointed when I've gotten it live.


Do you say "no" every time eddie asks "don't it make you smile?"


Much to my wife's chagrin, yes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 7672
Location: Not NYC
I can (and sometimes do) enjoy Smile, but it is middle tier PJ at best. It is by no means a bad song, but I find it fairly boring in most aspects.

_________________
I'm just here for the tacos and beer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Love this song, always have. It's something that sounds like a half-hearted throwaway that managed to rise far higher than its intention.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
tragabigzanda wrote:
Love this song, always have. It's something that sounds like a half-hearted throwaway that managed to rise far higher than its intention.

I agree and I think a lot of that has to do with Ed's remarkable singing throughout.

_________________
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Well fuckhead,


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Smile
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31473
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Poll?

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
If earth were a sphere, it would be impossible for any of us to stay grounded.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat December 16, 2017 8:43 pm