The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Ed/PJ Song?
PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 2:06 am 
Banned from the Pit

evenslow wrote:
The increasing use of the pump organ (and sometimes piano) is huge, to my mind. He's been stuck in Into The Wild mode from a songwriting perspective for the last 10 years. It's time to move on and this is a step in the right direction.

Do you think that Boom is pacing nervously around his Hawaiian surfer shack at the thought of this?

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 2:16 am 
Stone's Bitch

Rusted wrote:
evenslow wrote:
The increasing use of the pump organ (and sometimes piano) is huge, to my mind. He's been stuck in Into The Wild mode from a songwriting perspective for the last 10 years. It's time to move on and this is a step in the right direction.

Do you think that Boom is pacing nervously around his Hawaiian surfer shack at the thought of this?

pretty sure they keep Boom in the basement of HQ (they tell him it's a beach) and throw him a marlin and 30 joints once a month until it's time to tour.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 3:03 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Pretty sure Boom counts the multi-thousand dollar performance payments he gets for each concert, and snorts gleefully at the wet fart royalties he misses out on from the records.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 4:12 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Boom is IT. rest of the band is the kids.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 8:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I guess... and this is a fool's errand... but can anyone explain to me in detail why this is so interesting and "hopeful" as compared to the rest of the stuff from LB or any Ed solo work we've gotten since? I mean, besides "pipe-organ."

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 8:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

evenslow wrote:

Exactly. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 9:17 pm 
A Return To Form

The song is fine, but I would be thrilled to never hear Ed mention undertow or anything related to the ocean ever again in a new song.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:25 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
I guess... and this is a fool's errand... but can anyone explain to me in detail why this is so interesting and "hopeful" as compared to the rest of the stuff from LB or any Ed solo work we've gotten since? I mean, besides "pipe-organ."

Their seems to be an earnestness and feeling to the performance that has been missing since Man of the Hour.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

According to this story, the new song is called Share the Light

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/09/ ... 017-watch/

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:58 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:
According to this story, the new song is called Share the Light

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/09/ ... 017-watch/

looks like he was just quoting alternative nation on the title:
https://www.alternativenation.net/watch ... are-light/

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:58 pm 
The Master

God I hate alternative nation

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 11:35 pm 
Poster of the Year

Strat wrote:
God I hate alternative nation

Me too. Almost as much as I hate the dot net.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 11:48 pm 
Major Dude

Monkey_Driven wrote:
EJ wrote:
I guess I'm one of the few that wasn't wowed by this song. Maybe its the lack of instrumentation.

Not wowed, just like it more than some of his more recent solo stuff.

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 3:35 am 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:

Yeah, agreed. That did really nothing for me, personally. I guess it was reminiscent of a Tom Waits kind of blustery thing, but truth be told, it just felt more like Ed riffing on an improv than anything else (not to say that's what it actually was, that was merely the impression I had).

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 12:39 pm 
Stone's Bitch

durdencommatyler wrote:

Like I said...

evenslow wrote:

Not sure what to add other than it's got a slightly unique (non?) structure that I feel the band could actually do something with, unlike his acoustic Into The Wild offerings like "Swallowed Whole" which are essentially "ready to go."

This comparison is obviously too far afield, but I always go back to Springsteen and Born To Run, which was almost entirely piano-based in the songwriting. That allowed him to go to totally new places with his song arrangements.

Anyway, we don't have a Born To Run coming our way but I'd settle for something more interesting and off-kilter in band arrangement/contribution.

But probably we'll get the spiritual sequel to Ukulele Songs... Pump Organ Songs.

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 2:22 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah, im over the SW or LB type of songs Ed has been doing this last 10 years.

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 2:45 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

evenslow wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Like I said...

evenslow wrote:

Not sure what to add other than it's got a slightly unique (non?) structure that I feel the band could actually do something with, unlike his acoustic Into The Wild offerings like "Swallowed Whole" which are essentially "ready to go."

This comparison is obviously too far afield, but I always go back to Springsteen and Born To Run, which was almost entirely piano-based in the songwriting. That allowed him to go to totally new places with his song arrangements.

Anyway, we don't have a Born To Run coming our way but I'd settle for something more interesting and off-kilter in band arrangement/contribution.

But probably we'll get the spiritual sequel to Ukulele Songs... Pump Organ Songs.

Switching instruments is always a good start. Born to Run is a great example of how song structures can be dictated by the instrument.

I think there's the approach of condensing crazy stylistic changes within 5-10 years. That is certainly exciting, but hardly anyone that does that is able to keep it going for too long. Also, it can seem contrived when someone comes out and "reinvents" themself. I see reinvention as 99% contrived most of the time. Like whenever you a pop star come out with a brand new style, it's so predictable. It's actually more rebellious to just stick with a style these days. When you think about it, EV going from the angry punk-art wannabe in the 90s to a Ukelele dude to Into the Wild guy is a pretty cool in how he did it organically. I think he's trying to find the next thing. It seems like he's searching but he's waiting for it to feel right. It's evident he's found some sort of new thread. He's just been tinkling on the organ here and there, I wonder how much he's been doing that/ But it is refreshing that atleast he's thinking or considering thinking differently. I am getting a little weary of the talking and banter. Man, he is really rambling alot in recent years, a little in love with his voice, def some LDS (Lead Singer Disease) disease going on there.

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 8:45 pm 
AnalLog

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
Yeah, didn't do too much for moi.

This one made me think Ed's definitely lost the muse or I've really lost the love. Maybe both.

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 11:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Hatfield? More like Hatefield.

PostPosted: Sat September 16, 2017 6:21 pm 
AnalLog

bodysnatcher wrote:
Hatfield? More like Hatefield.

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam