The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Rate Hail Hail
5 Stars 75%  75%  [ 30 ]
4 Stars 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
3 Stars 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
2 Stars 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 40
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Mon September 30, 2013 11:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 03, 2013 8:10 pm
Posts: 1859
stip wrote:
those are night and day records for me.

It's interesting because some of us hear them as very close and some see them as night and day.

Why i think i perceived them as so related to each other (from the 1st listen in 2005 when i knew absolutely nothing about the band) is because of the same "dictatorial" voice driving them. To me ITW is related to them for the same reason. This are 3 different moods/contexts the same guy turned into records. This is hard to articulate because is a sum of subtleties in a way.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Mon September 30, 2013 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 03, 2013 8:10 pm
Posts: 1859
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
I think it's deliberately ambiguous, gender-wise. One of Ed's more interesting lines.

I think you're right even the way is performed and the music around it seems to accentuate that.
I wish Ed was being a dictator for at least one more album when I think about No Code :(
I love the way all those ideas from the whole band turned into the albums that Vitalogy and No Code are under Ed's control.


Well, you have Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.

I meant a the time obviously.
I'm not that attracted to Eddie Vedder : Songs of Love and Death or whatever those 2 albums may hint at to tell you the truth.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Mon September 30, 2013 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
I think it's deliberately ambiguous, gender-wise. One of Ed's more interesting lines.

I think you're right even the way is performed and the music around it seems to accentuate that.
I wish Ed was being a dictator for at least one more album when I think about No Code :(
I love the way all those ideas from the whole band turned into the albums that Vitalogy and No Code are under Ed's control.


Well, you have Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.

I meant a the time obviously.
I'm not that attracted to Eddie Vedder : Songs of Love and Death or whatever those 2 albums may hint at to tell you the truth.


That's a good summation :lol:

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Mon September 30, 2013 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 03, 2013 8:10 pm
Posts: 1859
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
I think it's deliberately ambiguous, gender-wise. One of Ed's more interesting lines.

I think you're right even the way is performed and the music around it seems to accentuate that.
I wish Ed was being a dictator for at least one more album when I think about No Code :(
I love the way all those ideas from the whole band turned into the albums that Vitalogy and No Code are under Ed's control.


Well, you have Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.

I meant a the time obviously.
I'm not that attracted to Eddie Vedder : Songs of Love and Death or whatever those 2 albums may hint at to tell you the truth.


That's a good summation :lol:

I wonder how far is he from covering this



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Mon September 30, 2013 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
I think it's deliberately ambiguous, gender-wise. One of Ed's more interesting lines.

I think you're right even the way is performed and the music around it seems to accentuate that.
I wish Ed was being a dictator for at least one more album when I think about No Code :(
I love the way all those ideas from the whole band turned into the albums that Vitalogy and No Code are under Ed's control.


Well, you have Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.

I meant a the time obviously.
I'm not that attracted to Eddie Vedder : Songs of Love and Death or whatever those 2 albums may hint at to tell you the truth.


That's a good summation :lol:

I wonder how far is he from covering this



I don't know, why fill one space on the album when you can fill two?

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Mon September 30, 2013 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 03, 2013 8:10 pm
Posts: 1859
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
I think it's deliberately ambiguous, gender-wise. One of Ed's more interesting lines.

I think you're right even the way is performed and the music around it seems to accentuate that.
I wish Ed was being a dictator for at least one more album when I think about No Code :(
I love the way all those ideas from the whole band turned into the albums that Vitalogy and No Code are under Ed's control.


Well, you have Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.

I meant a the time obviously.
I'm not that attracted to Eddie Vedder : Songs of Love and Death or whatever those 2 albums may hint at to tell you the truth.


That's a good summation :lol:

I wonder how far is he from covering this



I don't know, why fill one space on the album when you can fill two?

:haha: You never know he might get lazy


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Mon September 30, 2013 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Fri April 12, 2013 8:12 pm
Posts: 4357
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
Mine wrote:
harmless wrote:
I think it's deliberately ambiguous, gender-wise. One of Ed's more interesting lines.

I think you're right even the way is performed and the music around it seems to accentuate that.
I wish Ed was being a dictator for at least one more album when I think about No Code :(
I love the way all those ideas from the whole band turned into the albums that Vitalogy and No Code are under Ed's control.


Well, you have Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.

I meant a the time obviously.
I'm not that attracted to Eddie Vedder : Songs of Love and Death or whatever those 2 albums may hint at to tell you the truth.


That's a good summation :lol:

I wonder how far is he from covering this



I don't know, why fill one space on the album when you can fill two?

It's too early in the day to get this turned on.

_________________
There's the dog. You can't fake that stuff. Confess with your mouth.
http://www.philscally.com


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2320
Am I the only one who this song does basically nothing for me? Its one of my least favorite PJ songs from an era I like. Its just....boring I think. I dont really get it. There's a cool part after "The one the one the one the onnnnnnnnnnne" and the sounds of the background music there, but otherwise...ehhhhhh


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2320
Also "Are you woman enough to be my man?" What does that even mean?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 8:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11403
I think it's probably their best ever song.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2320
Why? what do you like about it? I dunno I just think it sounds kind of boring. UNIQUE sure but boring and not very pleasant to the ears. I dunno, just don't really get it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11403
mikejasond wrote:
Why? what do you like about it?

Everything.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 26, 2013 12:34 am
Posts: 4258
Location: Chile
The chord progression in the chorus is fucking sick.

_________________
LuNY wrote:
I am not racist but why the fuck are black people so violent?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34152
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Yeah, this is top 10 PJ easily. Their powerful rawkage has never been more harmoniously married to their eccentric, experimental tendencies. It's such a playful, thoughtful, warm, rocking, wonderful song. Listening to it makes me love life.

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 49350
Location: Sector 7-G
So this new guy doesn't like Hail Hail or Faithfull? :?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 10:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 6423
Location: unnamed mental hospital
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Yeah, this is top 10 PJ easily. Their powerful rawkage has never been more harmoniously married to their eccentric, experimental tendencies. It's such a playful, thoughtful, warm, rocking, wonderful song. Listening to it makes me love life.

Hallelujah

_________________
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Well fuckhead,


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31389
cutuphalfdead wrote:
So this new guy doesn't like Hail Hail or Faithfull? :?

yeah, he's great!

Actually I like hail hail quite a bit, but I think it's tremendously overrated round these here parts

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 11:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 2057
Again, another atypical chord progression and time signature...too hard...brain hurts.

Somebody lock this guy in a room and play Trout Mask Replica on repeat until he understands what truly difficult music is.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 11:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 15439
Location: Seattle, WA
mikejason is making a serious run to overtake stip as "the person on RM i most disagree with"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hail Hail
PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 29935
Location: gone fishin'
mikejasond wrote:
Am I the only one who this song does basically nothing for me? Its one of my least favorite PJ songs from an era I like. Its just....boring I think. I dont really get it. There's a cool part after "The one the one the one the onnnnnnnnnnne" and the sounds of the background music there, but otherwise...ehhhhhh

I long for your death

_________________
oh no!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:00 am