The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: Best and worst eras for Eddie vocally?
PostPosted: Sat August 26, 2017 11:27 pm 
known prankster

twoheadedboy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
What is this throat surgery you speak of?

I couldn't find an article unfortunately, so I will do my best from memory.

Many singers get surgery because they HAVE to, Adele being one recent example. Polyps and nodules develop and they risk harming their ability to talk, let alone sing, operating in a painful and severely diminished state. However, some singers get (I believe to be) a similar surgery on an elective basis similar to how athletes get arthroscopic clean-outs of their knee, and are able to get back to something like 85 - 90% of their peak in many cases. Brian Johnson of AC/DC is a prominent example, compare his voice in the 2000's to the 1990's, he sounds nearly as good for Black Ice as he did in the mid-80's. I think Bob Seger is another one.

Here is Chris Cornell at the first SG reunion show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw-Sjkm6rqs
Here he is at the beginning of the Audioslave run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzAUfGRUafg
Here he is in 1996 before the break-up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzAUfGRUafg

Chris in 2010 does not match Chris in 1990 - 1992. But he's a helluva lot better than he was in even 1996, and I don't believe you can account for all of that change just by sobering up, which he did.

That's actually one of the better Chris performances from the Audioslave era. He sounds great during that whole Letterman set. He sounded awful in literally every other live performance I've seen from Audioslave.

2006 was a turning point I think. He started doing some acoustic gigs to promote Revelations (notably the radio broadcast from Sweeden where he debuted Billie Jean) and it was amazing to hear how good he sounded.

PostPosted: Thu August 31, 2017 5:26 pm 
Stone's Bitch

was listening to pj radio yesterday and Elderly Woman came on from '05 at the gorge. his voice sounded really good there. even nailed the "never DREAMED you'd return" part.

the playing on it was likewise sensational.

PostPosted: Sun September 03, 2017 2:47 pm 
Banned from the Pit

BootsToAsses wrote:
In 1990-1992 he was powerful but he didn't have much control. He had beautiful moments and shoddy moments.

1994 is fantastic, he had absolutely learned to control his vocals by this point.

1995 was shocking :haha: Yet the shows are still brilliant to listen to.

In 1996 he started to have a softer, almost nasal approach to his singing which I enjoy listening to. 1998 is definitely a peak. The power is still there when necessary, he has control and he can absolutely kill with a performance of DTE.

2000 is pretty great for the most part. 2003 is great but there are times he sounds a bit flat. Perhaps it's because the studio sessions for Riot Act didn't really stretch him vocally due to the subdued nature of the material. Great moments though.

2005/2006 are fantastic, and his last great era of singing. It's been steadily downhill since then, with 2009-2011 being the worst. 2012 onwards, he's gotten better. 2013 and 2014 are pretty great. 2016 is a bit hit and miss.

X1000

PostPosted: Sun September 03, 2017 3:43 pm 
known prankster

This version of Garden from a 2006 BBC radio broadcast...the band sound heavy as fuck and Ed sounds great

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam